Author: dupodong

anyone who like the Beatles? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-4-12 05:50:53 |Display all floors
Must be Arizona or California, yes?

Or is it a trick question?  I guess Tuscon, Arizona is not a state but a city, and California grass is a type of grass, not a state either.

However, there is a mistake in my post above.  I said "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" is a Beatles song, and it is.  But the guitar lead in the song is Eric Clapton's.  The song is often associated with the internal conflicts the Beatles experienced while their band was breaking up.  The song is by George Harrison, who was often unhappy because his music was sidelined in favor of the McCartney-Lennon songs, and when he presnted it to them they were unenthusaistic about it.  He went home and had Clapton add some to it.  When Clapton joined the Beatles in the studio it improved things because everyone wanted to act nice.  Later, Lennon even said Clapton could take Harrison's place in the band.  Of course, when John brought Yoko into the recording sessions, the reverse happened.  It made everyone angry.

When I looked at the Beatles material online I did find some original music.  There are some videos at the Google site listed above.  It also occured to me how weird the Beatles became with their music.  It is heavily, heavily edited and mixed.  It is also laden with oddities where the Beatles were playing around with idiots in the public who wanted to find and decipher secret messages in their music about Paul being dead and other silliness.  It's not all that surprising that, after years of writing music to the lunatic fringe in the world, one such individual showed up with a gun and shot Lennon in 1980.   I guess he didn't get the message that the Beatles were just trying to sell a few more albums with their antics.

龙年顺顺利利

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-4-13 23:10:41 |Display all floors
Beatles to distribute music online.

This seems to indicate that the Beatles are still in control of their music through Apple Corp., which is somewhat different from what I thought their rights were.  I thought that they had some control but that ultimate control was held by Michael Jackson, who purchased their songs in the early 1980s.   Maybe Jackson owns the music but leases it back to Apple Corp. for a number of years.  It's an odd legal tangle.  

People have been digitally remastering music for 20 years now, so the excuse that the songs are being digitally remastered seems like an excuse to me.  Maybe they delayed because they feel the orginals lose some quality each time they're played, so minimizing the number of times a song is played from the original to a new print for distribution will preserve their music for decades and centuries ahead.  But who will have the antiquated sound equipment to replay a Beatles original studio tape in 50 years?  

Besides Sony.

Beatles set to join online music revolution
By Adam Pasick

The Beatles are preparing to sell their songs online after years of refusing to take part in the Internet music boom, according to testimony given by the head of their record company.

Neil Aspinall, a former Beatles road manager and managing director of Apple Corps, was a witness in the company's trademark lawsuit against Apple Computer.

He said that the company was digitally remastering the entire Beatles catalog, which would pave the way for selling the songs online.

"I think it would be wrong to offer downloads of the old masters when I am making new masters," he said in a written statement submitted to the High Court in London earlier this month.

"It would be better to wait and try to do them both simultaneously so that you then get the publicity of the new masters and the downloading, rather than just doing it ad hoc."

A spokeswoman for Apple Corps confirmed Aspinall's statement, and said that the company is preparing to make the Beatles catalog available through online music services.

"There's no firm date on any of this at the moment. There are a lot of projects that Apple are working on at the moment," she said on Thursday.

The Beatles have been high-profile holdouts from the booming online music sector, which saw sales triple to $1.1 billion in 2005.

Apple Corps, owned by Beatles Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, John Lennon's widow Yoko Ono and the estate of George Harrison, have accused Apple Computer of violating a 1991 agreement by using the Apple name and logo to sell music downloads through its market-leading iTunes Music Store.

The trial ended on April 6, with a decision from the judge due after Easter.

Copyright © 2006 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.

[ Last edited by matt605 at 2006-4-14 04:20 AM ]
龙年顺顺利利

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-4-14 08:40:36 |Display all floors
Did Michael Jackson sell all his Beatles music?

Article says Jackson sold half of his 200 Beatles songs, but had already sold half to Sony before.  So that means Jackson now owns 25% of 200 Beatles songs that he originally acquired for $47.5 million 20 years ago and is now worth $1 billion.  Are those songs leased to Apple Corp. or does the Sony-Jackson partnership simply have control over the revenues at some point in the future?

April 13, 2006
Jackson Restructures Finances With Sony
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Michael Jackson restructured his finances with the help of Sony Corp., which co-owns a valuable music catalogue with the pop star, Jackson attorneys said Thursday in a statement.

No terms of the deal or the state of Jackson's finances, long believed to be troubled, were disclosed in a brief press release issued from Bahrain, where the pop star has been living since being acquitted of child molestation last year in California.

Earlier published reports said Jackson was negotiating a $325 million debt refinancing plan that would save him from bankruptcy but deprive him of part of his share of the catalog.

Jackson ''has restructured his finances with the assistance of Sony Corporation of America,'' said the statement issued by Grahame Nelson of Qays H. Zubi Attorneys & Legal Consultants, who said he was speaking for Jackson.

''Following negotiations with several leading financial institutions, Mr. Jackson has concluded refinancing with affiliates of Fortress Investment Group, the lender that currently holds secured debts that were previously held by Bank of America,'' the statement said.

Qays H. Zubi Attorneys & Legal Consultants was part of an advisory team that included Bahrain-based financial adviser Ahmed Al Khan, it said.

Jackson's U.S. spokeswoman, Raymone K. Bain, said Qays Zubi is an adviser to Jackson but she could not confirm the contents of the news release issued from Bahrain.

Sony ATV, Fortress and Nelson did not return calls from The Associated Press seeking comment after business hours.

The music catalogue that Jackson co-owns, known as Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC, includes 200 Beatles hits and is thought to be worth $1 billion.

The deal ultimately would require Jackson to sell half of his 50 percent share in the catalog to Sony, the Wall Street Journal and New York Times reported Thursday, citing anonymous sources familiar with the negotiations.

Jackson acquired the catalog in 1985 for $47.5 million but sold half of it to Sony when he confronted other financial problems.

Financial experts who testified at Jackson's trial said the pop star was on the brink of bankruptcy and would likely be forced to sell his interest in the catalog. Jackson recently had to shutter his elaborate Neverland ranch in Santa Ynez because of unpaid salaries and insurance fees.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press
龙年顺顺利利

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-4-14 10:55:04 |Display all floors
just to share, one of the most beautiful compositions of all times:

http://tinyurl.com/p3y5q

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-4-14 12:42:23 |Display all floors

I love beatles!

I have their whole collection. Among them, "Imagine" is my favorate.
Some say it is wishful thinking. But  I don't.
Forgive my English

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-4-17 10:50:19 |Display all floors

I like their songs

Their songs are touching , I think.
And the music is beautiful , it is a auditory feast .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-4-18 10:57:28 |Display all floors
Originally posted by benemaru at 2006-3-30 11:26
I like the song "let it be". Not onle does it have good rhythme, but also I think it always reminds me
of days with simplicity.

so do i !i feel so relaxant and have so many sentiment when i listen it

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.