Author: eye2eye

Fear of Death: the Beginning of Religions [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-3-24 17:45:34 |Display all floors
Originally posted by seneca at 2006-3-23 21:29
It's by far preferable to believe in some mystery and higher wisdom than in blunt so-called "scientific" facts.

The believers in religion face death with more serenity and actually don't need to fear it. Fear is reserved for the atheists because the latter believe there is absolutely nothing, zero after their demise.
Equipped with such an unromantic view on death most of them want to maximise their enjoyment and wealth before they die - and they must find death a huge injustice because they have to leave their material comforts behind - possibly in the hands of people they never loved!

I used to be an atheist, yet never experienced the fears you describe here.  I just accepted that I would die, and that was that.
四海之内皆兄弟
-孔子

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-24 17:51:29 |Display all floors
"As soon as we developed intelligence enough to see  that
everything  really does end at death we humans invented
religion so that we could pretend otherwise."

As far as I'm aware, no scientific experemient has yet conclusively proven that theere is no life after death.  Would you mind referring me to it please: I find this bit of news fascinating and am surprised I somehow missed it. obviously it naver made it into the mainstream media and just got lost in some accademic journal I suppose?

"Atheists are not necessarily hedonistic selfish people
we do not  wish to kill religious people, unlike  some
religions which will kill you if you do not believe."

I used to be an atheist myself, and I wasn't necessarily a hedonistic selfish person who wished to kill religious people either. as for religions, let's not confuse the faith with its adherents.
四海之内皆兄弟
-孔子

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-25 21:08:22 |Display all floors

Reply #10 tianyuanedu's post

As far as I'm aware, no scientific experemient has
yet conclusively proven that theere is no life after death

This is the classic religious response, there is also
no  scientific experiment to prove or disprove that
a block of gold with my name on it is not buried 10 km
deep on the dark  side  of the planet Mercury.
This does not make it true and religion
has had its day the communists  were right
on that one.

[ Last edited by christopher_104 at 2006-3-25 09:09 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-25 21:27:54 |Display all floors
I would argue that communism is in fact a religion, which is the reason it cannot tolerate other religions.

Communism as practiced in the 20th century all had in common such features as ignoring facts of the world, following the one, strong leader, and to carry out the plan in absurdum, as described in the holy book of Marx and Engels.
瑞典人,活着为中国娃娃而死。汉学家、工程师、摄影师、网页设计师等等。爱好:政治、历史、科技、文化等。王菲迷。自由主义者。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-25 23:30:56 |Display all floors
Originally posted by seneca at 2006-3-25 23:28
[

Absolutely. I agree.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-25 23:40:37 |Display all floors
Originally posted by seneca at 2006-3-25 23:32

I consider this one of the most heinously biased, arrogant and ignorant xenophobic posts by a Westerner. This is not a meaningful contribution to the general thread on religions; it is nothing but a vile attack on Muslims!

Observe the difference between islamist and muslim.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-25 23:46:15 |Display all floors

the most scientific religion

anyone can get is to be able in one's own lifetime to witness and trace how causes and effects are conjoined; a bad (or good) deed done at one time traced to the bad (or good) result at another time, within the same lifetime.

Such would be sublime knowledge.

When you go through and observe much of life, there're hints along the journey which point to the chain of cause-and-effect.  But certainty gets obscured, and doubts float by.  Sometimes the thread gets broken, and the results get parked somewhere else.  Nothing good ever achieved easy.  Such is the lot of man.

This profound post sits quietly amidst all the internecine warfare going on around (above and below) it.

-for those who've suffered much, i dedicate it to you-

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.