Author: twchinese

Taipei is China's 2nd most competitive city [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-3-23 05:42:34 |Display all floors
Hong Kong has strong rule of law - something that mainland doesn't have. It's almost anything goes in the mainland, or so it seems. Money under the table and guanxi still rule business and government. That rule of law is not somehthing that will disappear overnight.

China and Hong Kong are two independent state and it need to be the same as each other.

As for Eyeofstorm's comment about being too proud, that is a rather strange comment coming from a Chinese person. Just look through these boards. Chinese are obsesssed with their own country and being no. 1. in the world.

It is very important for people to think positive about their nation, rich or poor, and there is no crime
in doing this.

I suspect the real problem is that Taiwan has acheived this position without the meddling of Beijing - despite misinformed mainlanders on this site harping on about how Taiwans's economy was going to hell.

And it does not matter what people people think about Taiwan; that is just their freedom of expression.
the truth is we all know Taiwan is doing outstanding. And it may continue with to do what it does after
acknowledging that Taiwan is a State of China.

Despite attempts by Beijing to destabiliise and isolate Taiwan across every continent on earth, it is still doing very well, thank you.

Bejing did not attempt to cause harm to Taiwan economy. All it try to do is to get the world
to recognize that Taiwan is part of China. Hence, why should this effect Taiwanese standard
of living.

God blesses all,

Forest Servant.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-23 13:13:30 |Display all floors

huh?

Forest, what were you mumbling about? What economic race? What contenders? Having a bigger population doesn't mean it's more competitive. All those rhetorical stuff they put in your head or you put in your head is exactly why some Chinese never make progress... it's always a zero-sum game when they just sit around talking about what they are able to do (things like momentum, race.....) while nothing is actually happening. Remember in the 1960's when the whole country was claiming how we were going to surpass, or overtake Britain? But nobody knew what the slogan means, or overtake Britain in what? But still an empty slogan like that generated massive "momentum," for the ruling party at least. That's exactly what you remind me of. Modern China today needs more doers and less talkers...

The whole value of the competitiveness report is to give less developed Chinese cities a good reference as to how they might expand and improve economically and technologically. It can be extremely valuable for policy setting, only if they pay attention to the report and not get all rhetorical.

China's biggest advantage today is the country unique combination of a huge affordable labor force and a burgeoning middle-class with more and more disposable income. And because that unique combination is what draws investors of all sorts, the country will not prosper altogether. The rich will lead the poor... so the idea of "equality" and "sustainability" to all Chinese cities is simply rhetorical.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-23 15:16:41 |Display all floors
questioner:

This was a competitiveness report based on some objective factors, and some subjective factors.  Social Scientists will take subjective factors and assign a percentage value to it, that doesn’t necessarily correspond to measurable objective results.  Different data gatherers may have different percentage values assign to different criteria, or even have different criteria they are trying to measure.  These types of reports are good supplemental data to help identify different areas of strengths, weaknesses, and opportunities.  But serious investors will look to objective measurable data first, and consider these subjective factors as secondary criteria.

I’m not a Mainlander.  I’m an American, and I’ve posted many factual data about China, Taiwan, US, etc.  I’m confident the information I’ve posted stands up to factual scrutiny.  You are welcome to verify the information and prove me wrong if you can.   

You asserted Taiwan is doing very well.  How factually clueless can you be?  Taiwan is heavily relying on over 37% exports to China to sustain its own economy, and that reliance is growing.  CSB has trouble attracting FDIs.  Many different forms of debts are going up in Taiwan.  Credit card debts are especially vexing.  But the most damning proof that Taiwan is not doing so well, is coming from the Taiwanese themselves.  Yes, you read that right.  Taiwanese don’t even believe enough in Taiwan’s future to heavily invest in Taiwan.  Forget about CSB stopping Taiwanese disintermediation.  He will be lucky just to slow it down, as Taiwanese money is pouring out of Taiwan like a broken sieve.  Therefore, there isn’t confidence in Taiwan internally (disintermediation), and there isn’t confidence in Taiwan externally (trouble attracting FDIs).  

What facts do you have to base your assertion that Taiwan is doing very well?   Post your facts here!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-23 15:19:41 |Display all floors
Forest, what were you mumbling about?

LOL, TwChinese, I am not mumbling but sharing my unbiased opinion about the competitiveness
between Chinese's States or Provinces.

What economic race?

The one that you have been bashing us since day1, LOL.

What contenders?

Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macau who else?

Having a bigger population doesn't mean it's more competitive. All those rhetorical stuff they put in your head or you put in your head is exactly why some Chinese never make progress... it's always a zero-sum game when they just sit around talking about what they are able to do (things like momentum, race.....) while nothing is actually happening. Remember in the 1960's when the whole country was claiming how we were going to surpass, or overtake Britain? But nobody knew what the slogan means, or overtake Britain in what? But still an empty slogan like that generated massive "momentum," for the ruling party at least. That's exactly what you remind me of. Modern China today needs more doers and less talkers...

Well, I do know every country have its own propaganda, and I know how to shield myself from it.
Though, I never heard of any promises made in the 60's to overtake the UK, but I would have laughed my
buns off. The economic momentum theory has been my own independent theory, if you have heard of it
then it might have a different meaning though I would be interested to know where it come from.
See, I don't believed that your sucess today is a product of what you did yesterday, but years ago, and
right now you are riding on your momentum that is build up from your remote past. And it go for
Taiwan, Hong Kong, ...., and China. Moreover, what you are doing in recent year the outcome will
be more accurate in 10-15 years from now. Hence, I don't think anyone should claim economic
success because we are not at the end of the race.

My view is that China can never grows as fast as Taiwan, Hong Kong, or Macau, and this is no
propaganda, if it did the word market will be saturated with all goods, such that new demand
for new goods will be droped sharply and cause recession worldwide. And that goes for India as
well. Right now I truly believe the CCP has done an outstanding job with whatever resources
that they have at their disposal.

The whole value of the competitiveness report is to give less developed Chinese cities a good reference as to how they might expand and improve economically and technologically. It can be extremely valuable for policy setting, only if they pay attention to the report and not get all rhetorical.

Well, I am not a rheotical person, but truth. That is why I did not hesitate to applause successfull
State as Taiwan, Hong Kong , and Macau. I believed you are thinking of westerners. We all know
that they are a master of rheotoric, but not me. LOL.

China's biggest advantage today is the country unique combination of a huge affordable labor force and a burgeoning middle-class with more and more disposable income. And because that unique combination is what draws investors of all sorts, the country will not prosper altogether. The rich will lead the poor... so the idea of "equality" and "sustainability" to all Chinese cities is simply rhetorical.

Well, the truth is the rich will continue to get richer and the poor will continue to get poorer. If you
study the standard of living today comparing with the standard of living 10-20 years ago, you will
find that people have to work harder today than years ago, dispite the illusion of being surrounded
by computers and hitech equipment.  I don't have a good solution for this, but Chairman Moa had
tried his idea and it did not work well for everyone. Hence, we'll just have to take the best path
we can find. Hopefully, there will be some idea falling from the sky that will help reduce the
gap between rich and poor without damaging the economy.

God blesses all,

Forest Servant.

[ Last edited by forestservan at 2006-3-23 03:29 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-23 16:37:21 |Display all floors

TWChinese and questioner

Chinese people should all set the superordinate GOAL to override differences. Drop your pride and join together to strive for the same goal...in this case bringing equality and sustainibility to ALL of China NOT just major coastal cities.

The China of yesteryear is not the same as neo-China.

Perhaps in your mind this will never fully happen but that is why it's under a current agenda or goal. As far as the Chinese only 'talking the talk and not walking the walk'. If you actually read the blacklist sites for bribery and other news in regards to curbing corruption, counterfeiting and other 'flaws'. It indicates to me that they are taking measures and steps and not just standing at the podium. Also, stop generalizing all Chinese people in terms of pride and all that mumbo jumbo. There are prideful and humble people in every country period. I am from the west and only half Chinese are you surprised now???  When I was in the states, during university, I was able to hang around  with TW Chinese people quite well but Chinese students was always avoided by the TW student community which I felt was rather sad, arrogant and profoundly ignorant. (TW students are not better than Mainland students and vice versa). Lastly, it's not that easy trying to maintain a country of approximately 1.3 billion inhabitants *more if the floating population was counted* versus an island with a measely population such as TW.

cut Mainland China and mainlanders some slack alright.

[ Last edited by eyeofstorm at 2006-3-23 05:30 PM ]
((EyeOfStorm))
~All that which glitters is not gold~

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-23 17:24:05 |Display all floors
Originally posted by eyeofstorm at 2006-3-23 16:37

The China of yesteryear is not the same as neo-China.

Perhaps in your mind this will never fully happen but that is why it's under a current agenda or goal. As far as the Chinese only 'talki ...

I hope you don't mind me riding along with you on this one, Eyeofstorm!:)

Oopsy,   Thank you for the reminder about my signature, Eyeofstorm.

God blesses all,

Forest Servant.

[ Last edited by forestservan at 2006-3-23 05:36 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-23 17:29:56 |Display all floors
You forgot to say "God blesses all, Forest Servant haha =P
((EyeOfStorm))
~All that which glitters is not gold~

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.