Author: lily_7810xu

What's the end of English learning? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-3-21 16:26:42 |Display all floors
Originally posted by lily_7810xu at 2006-3-21 14:38
that's a good point! For the general population, they don't have access to the information.

But I suspect many of the elites don't care!  I remember a Chinese friend of mine (a university language professor) debating with a student from another university relating to the fact that the overuse of English words in local newspapers block the locals' access to information.  The student said it didn't matter because she could understand it no problem!

So when my friend pointed out that she's not a typical Chinese in that she's had the opportunity to go to one of China's better universities, whereas most can't even go to university at all, she stated that the average person doesn't read the local paper anyway. To which my friend pointed out that he had friends who were construction workers and who did read the local paper at times, but just couldn't understand the English.

All the student did was state again that it didn't matter because the local papers are intended for the "educated" anyway!

I couldn't believe my ears! With that kind of attitude, and considering that it's the university grads like her who are most likely to rule the nation in future, God help the rest!
四海之内皆兄弟
-孔子

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-22 20:40:12 |Display all floors
  i  find  we pay too much attention to english learning, i think english is not so important in fact,althought for my major ,english is important indeed,but not so much i thnk,it may be a wrong tendence !
we should not spend all the time to learn english,we should leave some time to learn chinese,
i don't know why so many company care about the ability of english ,in fact their work need no english at all,just a popular.a popular to learn enlish,,what's wrong on earth.althought we may all think english is not so important but we have nothing to do but study english hard,,just because all the people iln china learn english,in fact there are little people know why they do this, it is true ,,,only follow others....
i  think we may need to learn english for ever, but we should change something,we should realize what do you really want from learning english,sost your so much time on it ,is it really derserved?no ....we should leave more daiylife time to others things,,and also ,for the magnizine ,for the paper,it is for chinese,include the farmers, not only the college students, to built our country is not only the educated 's duties,but all the chinese people , what the sollege student said  make me trembling,it is a shame for our a educated people ,i think...........

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-22 22:51:03 |Display all floors

the same to all of you

as for english learners, i consider that may be a common dilemma we are now  facing.just like what lily_7810xu  said ,who of us think that point over carefully ? at least a little? english, as a foreign language to us , is now becomming the most important tool for communication.what will be going on given that we just know a little engish? and why americans have make great achievement  in scientific research as well as europeans? some scholars said the reason was simple, just  because their  language is english.it is just simple. as we all know ,in the world now,  english is the only official language for most of the main scientific composition in the academe.then ,i guess all of you will get my point.     stop complaining ! just do it. that is all we need.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-23 02:56:14 |Display all floors

i learn english just for my interest

i learn it on my leisure time . And maybe it would be useful on one day .
as a result , I never care the end of English learning.

Sometimes i think, it's not necessary for all the undergraduates to learn english very well.
i'm a chinese , but chinese is the serious problem for me . when the chinese exam coming,
as if the doomsday to me.so.........

i prefer good at chinese to english. because no one like to say " i am poor at my mother tongue. "

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-23 07:11:04 |Display all floors
To me, if you want to have worldwide knowledges, you need to know
a common language, unless you are capable of hacking French, Indian,
Siamese, ...., and German. You can't trust any texbook to provide you with
all detail about good and bad of any nation. Hence, you must learn this
from the citizen of each nation yourself. And since English is the most widespread
language, why not take advange of it to expand your knowledge.

Also, you need not to master at it, just enough to communicate effectively:
perhaps 500+ vocabulary, reasonnable grammar, and some idioms will
be sufficient to get by. Unless, you want to be an English professor.

God blesses all,

Forest Servant.

[ Last edited by forestservan at 2006-3-23 07:19 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-23 11:09:09 |Display all floors
I consider that english is importmant for me,beacuse of many jobs needing english.

I study it hard,but my english is poor.

How to improve my english skills.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-23 11:51:35 |Display all floors
Zivenly, the 3 sentences that you wrote is great already except for trivial grammar errors: for
example, you don't need the comma in the first sentence... . I can understand what you are saying
fine, and your hard work have paid off, but from this point on, just keep on building up your vocabulary
and grammar. Practice, is the key to improvement. Many people say, "reading", but I say, "do both
reading and writting". To me writting is more important than reading because writting will go
on record where many people will read your messages and judge you. Speaking, on the other
hand, is slightly less important because if you made an error, people will ultimately forget about it.
Moreover, some people speak with a deep accent that no one care about it anyway, LOL.

I consider that english is importmant for me,beacuse of many jobs needing english.

Yes, you will soon have international investors in China, and english will opened doors to many
jobs.

I study it hard,but my english is poor.

You are doing fine, right now, just keep on practicing your grammar and vocabulary.

How to improve my english skills.

Practice, practice, and practice. I mean read a little(not too much) then practice what you have read;
then read some more, and practice some more. Repeat, these steps until you hear little or no
complaint from your readers or listeners.

Also, if you never read children book, I highly recommend that you read and grammatically analyze a
couple short stories made for children. Many students skipped this step and have difficulty with
advance english.

I am not an english major, but I am happy to be able to convey my idea to people; Hence, if you
can do this, you will do fine. Forget about perfection.

God blesses all,

Forest servant.

[ Last edited by forestservan at 2006-3-29 02:52 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.