Author: frothow

The reason america will always be a superpower [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-3-24 13:44:10 |Display all floors

Old soldiers dont die they just fade away

Great words from a great man .You can make fun of him but your just a peon compared to him ,you should be ashamed of yourself for your post .In a hundred years from now Macarthur will be remembered do you think the same can be said about you?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-24 13:53:22 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-24 14:04:41 |Display all floors

nice try

But in reality there is not many people here and if only half of them know MacArthur in this mostly unknown website that  proves my point
you must be a moron for even stating "hes already forgotten"

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-25 08:55:07 |Display all floors

Reply #19 raymondusa's post

You just dont seem to understand the flexible nature of America . As warren buffet sead "america will achieve much more economic greatness and amass much more wealth than than my days "

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-26 08:23:46 |Display all floors
frothow:

I do understand.  It is you that choose to ignore the facts.  You have taken Buffett's statement out of context, but that's okay.  I've posted facts.  You seem to think ignoring facts will somehow change it.  What I wrote in the other thread, also applies here, so I'll just cut and paste it so I don’t need to write it again.  If you don’t agree with these facts, then factually refute it and prove me wrong.  Your opinions do not change the facts.     

USA is a military superpower, but I don’t think you can truly make the argument that it is an economic superpower anymore.  Read “Running on Empty” so you have a better idea what confronts US now, and in the future.  

Debts are going to $9 trillion, as Congress just increased the debt ceiling.  Based on 2005 US OMB revenues of just over $2 trillion, that’s over 400% of current revenues.  Some people unknowingly post the GDP numbers, but GDP is a measure of productivity, not revenues.  USA pays its bills, using tax revenues, and borrowed money, incurring more debts.  It needs to borrow over $2 billion dollars a day, just to keep the government running.  

You are correct that Reagan also had a huge deficit, but the circumstances are very different now during Bush’s tenure.  During Reagan’s tenure, we didn’t have record high debts(debts existed then, but not at current record levels and continues to go up).  We were not nearly as dependent on foreign financing, didn’t face nearly the level of competition from the global economy.  We had a bounty from recycling petrodollars and could print dollars without consequences since there were global demands for US dollars to facilitate oil transactions, with no real viable alternative currencies to rival the US dollar.  This was also the time when Central Bankers around the world didn’t truly realize they have collective financial leverage.   

But those days are long gone.  Today, US have record high debts, and high dependence on foreign financing resulting in dwindling financial leverage around the world, as Central Bankers not only realize they have collective financial leverage, but have exercised it too!  Our dependence on foreign financing has an inverse relationship to our financial leverage around the world.  Any doubts, ask Snow, Greenspan and Bush what exactly did they get of substance for their trip to China?  Because of the inflated cost of living and higher labor cost in the US, it cannot compete as effectively in a global economy, as industries after industries are not only impacted by outsourcing, but some industries are essentially gone (domestic TV and computer manufacturers).   Petrodollar recycling will reduce as countries like Iran go to a bourse and others use barter agreements to circumvent the need for dollars.  Lastly, a united Europe, with its Euro, is a formidable currency alternative that not only reduce overall demand for the dollar, but more importantly, gives Central Bankers around the world a viable currency alternative and shape many future policies to come.   Around the horizon, don’t be surprised to see an Asian currency reserve, with even an AU, based on the ASEAN APEC platform.  

The high cost to cope with terrorism is also exacerbating  the US economic attrition, just like how bin Laden planned.  He understood he could not defeat the US militarily, so his plan was win by economic attrition.  There is historical precedence since he helped Afghanistan outlast the Soviet occupation.  The Soviets collapsed partly because of this long costly occupation in Afghanistan.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-26 09:23:15 |Display all floors

Raymondusa

On the other post i asked you why if economic globalization will lead to the downfall of the US wy in the hell does bush support  globalization?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-26 11:25:41 |Display all floors
Because Mr.Bush is one SMRT crack smoking graduate from Yale!!!
((EyeOfStorm))
~All that which glitters is not gold~

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.