Author: matt605

President Hu's List of Do's and Don'ts for China. [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-3-17 04:23:02 |Display all floors
Nice slogans reflecting concern about the clash between traditional and contemporary cultural values that many on this forum have discussed.  However, it is hard for me to see what practical value they can have.  

I would like to get one ot the posters.

I also wish that George Bush would follow the one that says, "Uphold science; don't be ignorant and unenlightened."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-17 06:47:28 |Display all floors
27 years of economic progress shows someone's working

China has been on a path of growth for 27 years, so someone's been doing their work.  China's on a growth path that will keep it on a positive trend for a long time yet.

I'd like to see the poster.  I can't find a photo of it at China Daily or Peoples' Daily either.
龙年顺顺利利

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-17 07:48:41 |Display all floors
Originally posted by matt605 at 16-3-2006 22:47
China has been on a path of growth for 27 years, so someone's been doing their work.

And I can promise you it was not based on slogans, but the government rejecting backward economic policies and unleashing the nation's potential. :)
"People are the water, the ruler is the boat; water can carry the boat, but it can also capsize it."

-- Li Shimin (2nd Tang Emperor, "Taizong")

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-17 08:07:07 |Display all floors

Thank you, matt605, for your post

I was searching for the English translation of Hu's recent call and then I saw your post. I read on People's Daily a week ago in Chinese. Chinese people's response to his call is OVERWHELMING. Look what they said:

http://comments.people.com.cn/bb ... 0180/l_60180_1.html

and,

http://comments.people.com.cn/bb ... 8835/l_58835_1.html

It reflected a strong desire of Chinese people wanting a society that is not rooted in materialism and corruption which have been so rampant in China now.

More than 20 years of neckbreaking economic growth left many precious Chinese values in ruin. And more and more Chinese leaders and scholars realized that while strong national economic growth is necessary for China, it's equally important for all (not just a small portion) Chinese people to benefit from it. More importantly we must care about the health of our society.

As you know China is now at her cross road,  we are seriously searching for the answer -- what kind of society we want. China must find her conscience. Yes, we need it badly. Even if Hu's call sounds slogan, many may just ignore it, but it's really a strong signal for a beginning of change for the nation, for good.

Love, do not harm the motherland.

Serve, don't disserve the people.

Uphold science; don't be ignorant and unenlightened.

Work hard; don't be lazy and hate work.

Be united and help each other; don't gain benefits at the expense of others.

Be honest and trustworthy, not profit-mongering at the expense of your values.

Be disciplined and law-abiding instead of chaotic and lawless.

Know plain living and hard struggle, do not wallow in luxuries and pleasures.

In Chinese:

以热爱祖国为荣、以危害祖国为耻,

以服务人民为荣、以背离人民为耻,

以崇尚科学为荣、以愚昧无知为耻,

以辛勤劳动为荣、以好逸恶劳为耻,

以团结互助为荣、以损人利己为耻,

以诚实守信为荣、以见利忘义为耻,

以遵纪守法为荣、以违法乱纪为耻,

以艰苦奋斗为荣、以骄奢淫逸为耻

And here is Chairman Mao Ze Dong's calling everyone in the government -- "Serve The People", in calligraphy:

[ Last edited by shanhuang at 2006-3-17 04:52 PM ]
Serve the People.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-17 09:46:17 |Display all floors
Originally posted by shanhuang at 2006-3-17 08:37
China Daily is trying extremely hard to be the western media masters' mouthpiece, just another piece. Nothing more.

Wow, you guys are in trouble then since its a state run paper. It would then follow that the the government are a bunch of pro-west lackeys.

As for Hu's statements? Seems like pretty standard government pep talking. I somehow doubt that "work hard" is going to become the rallying cry for the new china, but they could do worse.

[ Last edited by voltaire at 2006-3-17 09:49 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-17 10:00:13 |Display all floors
I posted a report from a Western news service.

I posted a report from a Western news service, the Associated Press.  I saw it on Yahoo!  Seeing the statements in Chinese shows how well structured the sayings are when they appear in their original language.

Strangely, the AP published the story on President Hu and the Do's and Don'ts.  So CD could easily just post the AP story.  I'd still like to know if anyone has a photo of the poster.  Seems like an interesting bit of China's political life.

[ Last edited by matt605 at 2006-3-17 05:00 PM ]
龙年顺顺利利

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-17 10:15:25 |Display all floors

Reply #14 matt605's post

Article appeared in CD under Life

BTW, last paragraph
"the aphorisms were issued on a 8 yuan (US$1) poster with plain, black Chinese characters above a photo of the Great Wall"

Pay for it MATT.
What's on your mind now........ooooooooooooooo la la....Kind Regards

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.