Views: 8475|Replies: 16

whether nowdays education in university is out of joint with job [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-3-15 18:23:42 |Display all floors
As the development of society, more and more students come into university to enhance education qualification.But  it shows some phenomenons that people in university get the courses which have no relative to the job they acquire, or knowledge and theories cannot be apply to job operation, and so on.

How about your opinion? Please feel free to share with us.:)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-15 18:34:56 |Display all floors

I agree with you!!!!

I am working in a bank now.What I must do is a high school student can do.I use so much time and money for my progress in knowledge,till now ,I find that I am wrong.The techs or something esle studied in universty is nonsence.Maybe this is why our country cannot become a developed country.So many resource be used in wrong directions.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-15 19:21:54 |Display all floors
The problem I see is

1.The colleges pretend to teach student something but these "something" are too outdated and useless. The situation comes from the education system in China – the college teachers became teachers after they graduated from colleges, then became professors because they turned old, not because they are qualified.

Just think about it, how could a man became a qualified college professor while he never physically worked in this technical area? I am talking about engineering education here. No much idea about science and art.

Few of my classmates were assigned in the college where we graduated from, became college teachers, now, they are all professors. But they don't really know much about this industry, because they have never worked in this industry for even one day. What they played with is only books – the books wrote by someone else, then they copy each other to become another book. The college students are educated by these books. They were smart colleges boys and girls, but now, I don't think they are smart college teachers. It is not their fault, but the system's.

I had read a few of these books, I feel shameful.

2.Why everyone wants college education? It becomes a competition between parents now that seems every family tries send their kids to colleges. How many college students the economy could need? I have not heard a serious research yet, but I do know the colleges will accept 5.5 million new students this year, which is at least 20 more times than that 20 years ago. One of my relative's son, he only got 170 total scores, but he got in a college by paying some extra money. Think about it, what 170 score mean? It means to me that a boy who know nothing, just keep blind eyes to mark on the exam papers by "yes" or "no", then he would get somewhere around 200 scores by chance. This is the students. Think about what the student is able to learn in the four years. Anyway, my relative told me, his son learn a lot in the college on poker and computer games

3.The colleges – When a college accept a student who only get 170 scores, it means the college gives up her reputation, it becomes a money making machine. I do not know how many colleges have became this machines however, the college I graduated from, a serious engineering institutions – when I was there anyway – starts having dancing and musician degrees. An engineering college has dancing and musician degree? I don't know who would take these students too seriously. Anyway, I am so honored that I will have college mates who have dancing or musical degrees. Thanks my college!

[ Last edited by luf2004 at 2006-3-15 07:39 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-15 22:57:24 |Display all floors
I don't think the knowledge learnt from university is useless. In fact , all we leant in college is theory and the univercity education pay more attention to cultivate logical thinking and neglects talents cultivated. When we take part in a company, we could find that the most important  thing is how to do but not how you think.  So, we couldn't   manage our work very well when we out of university.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-15 23:31:38 |Display all floors
iam now on the verge OF grauation and seeking a job position......to my dissapiontment,i have the same feeling as the host  coz the stuff they appoint me is things even junior student could be engage in....

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-15 23:35:27 |Display all floors
Originally posted by luf2004 at 2006-3-15 19:21
The problem I see is

1.The colleges pretend to teach student something but these "something" are too outdated and useless. The situation comes from the education system in China – the ...

I agree with you in some aspects, but there’re still problem I wanna to point out.

As you talked about the education system, do the education expert taken actions to improve our education system?  The answer I think must be yes. That is their responsibility. In my view, we just learn from the basic but lack of applying into practice which is important to the joint with enterprises. And Chinese student in foreign country are usually regarded to be short of practice experience.

In fact I have deeply thankfulness for my college and professor, since it has distinct difference between the outsides.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-15 23:59:37 |Display all floors
At one worldclass multinational where someone i once worked, there were botany and geology graduates who did software project management work, and there were computer science graduates who were doing human resource work.

How they came about to be good at doing things they were not trained in the university was due to three things:

one, they were personally driven to excel, having been recruited based on their academic records and other personal qualities - which had to be in the top rung; this created expectations, measures and peer-pressure;

two, they were rigorously run through superb internal courses which required them to fully comprehend what they were expected to do, teach and solve once they were out in the field, and

three, they were constantly supported throughout their careers wherever they be posted by an internal knowledge management system which contained all the lessons, project details, contacts, templates, work-tools, knowledge etc. on similar projects.  

On top of that they could ask specific questions to other staff throughout the world who were experts on any subject and expect to get an answer within 24 hours if not immediately for the same timezones;

lastly, they had support from knowledge researchers who would search all the best commercial databases in the world for answers, news, views, reports and data that could be used for the project or for marketing, training, analysis and understanding of the subject to be applied to any number of industries in any country.

In short, the company's entire knowledge capital was captured, channeled, redeveloped and reused.

University education should have something like this.  The knowledge of an expert on a particular field for instance in one university should be captured/capturable across the entire country and made available with suitable screening of the requesters/request from anywhere else in the country.  The knowledge delivery can be electronic, audio-visual or in print.  Some other post i had even suggested the expert takes a train ride and in one carriage of the train for the length of the journey, he conducts his lecture so that students can get onto the train from wherever it stops to learn specific modules - instead of scores converging at great cost to one place, the total cost is reduced for each.

There are many other ways to innovate university education to be more relevant and topical.  Granted the basic knowledge of a subject must be mastered first before one can learn new things that are directly applicable in job markets, for how else can the student gain mastery when the market requirements change later if he does not know the basics first in order to improvise his understanding then? Another thing, basic things taught systematically in the university in an orderly academic setting is anytime easier to learn than boring practical stuff that markets often require of the staff.  

So there should be some compromise - more than just the vacational/vocational/industrial/holiday training that the student gets attached to a company or a factory, there should be some formal coursework on the way the work markets operate - what they look for in the quality and knowledge of graduates, how the working conditions are like, what a day in the life of the salaried person will be, and more importantly, what are the specific knowledge requirements in a specific post in a particular industry. Lastly, where and how to find these things, capped by techniques on how to think out for yourself on how to research where to find the right supporting information.  These requirements can be fulfilled by getting the alma mater and business/industry operators to give campus talks, or from watching teleinterviews, or from group discussions on specific articles.  Or, even from interactions in forums such as this.

But do it systematically, accurately, determinedly and completely.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.