Author: eyeofstorm

How important is 'Face' (Mian Zi) to everyone? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-3-15 17:44:01 |Display all floors
The ability to transport the mind out of the self in order to see how events are influencing one's thoughts and personal discomfort levels is one of the least-taught skills as a regular course in formal settings.  Yet it can be useful.

Money is but a tool; except in this knavish world, it tends to become an end and not a means to an end, in turn creating internal conflict to overcome which requires one to make that leap - to let go.

Too much of everything takes away the very essence of the need for the thing desired.  That seems to be a constant law which points to moderation as the best deal.  

One can be romantic about such ideas and truisms.  But sometimes what is needed is sacrifice of such romanticism to create character - even if personal pain and loss of mianzi is inevitable as a result.

This would be a contradiction of the earlier message but the caravan of life moves on despite whatever one concludes.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-15 20:07:30 |Display all floors

a very good thread

Good job, Eyeofstorm!
Face is a popular topic  in the intercultural communication and seems it has been explored into some decent thesis or dissertations.
Face is thickly culture-rooted and I don't think it has much to do hypocracy or shallowness or something. It is far more complicated that that. Hope I can spare some time on that later.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-15 23:38:22 |Display all floors

I am with you on this topic.

Originally posted by eyeofstorm at 2006-3-15 13:10
This is my first Topic starter so I hope this can stimulate some minds. As the subject presented, why do Chinese people over-emphasize on face? 'Face' to me is a lack of confidence, display of inse ...

Saving "face" is not an important aspect in my life...if I make a mistake, so be it...no big deal...seldom live my life for "face"....

sometimes I do feel sorry for the older generations because they live their life very often for keeping up or saving their "face".
:):)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-16 09:42:49 |Display all floors

Reply #6 markwu's post

I know homage to the Bodhi tree.

What is the significance homage to saw palmetto tree?
Here saw palmetto is use as a medicine.

I saw Hefei is a big attraction city east of China. It is near or far from Huang Shan?
What are the temple there? Something like Linying Hangzhou or Lingshan Ta Fo Wuxi?
What's on your mind now........ooooooooooooooo la la....Kind Regards

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-16 12:29:46 |Display all floors

Reply #6 markwu's post

Mr. Markwu.....

why are they no ENTREPRENEUR keen on selling water pumps to the people in Anhui....why still use rope and bucket system on the ancient wells.......

why no ANHUI engineers...who studied in Shanghai, Beijing or Guangdong or visited America, Australia......did not prod the local government to build water towers...so that the Anhui person gets a more efficient tap water and have more time to develop other commerce?????

why, ANHUI could be the capital of WATER PUMPS....look at the demand....

what happen to the ANHUI MIAN....why didn't do anything for your Anhui brothers!!!!!

fm
Green Dragon

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-16 12:31:18 |Display all floors

Reply #11 caringhk's post

i have never been to those places you mention.....
any pictures, Mr. Caringhk?

fm
Green Dragon

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-16 13:12:47 |Display all floors
"Face" it's an old product..  only older people with narrow mind who loves "face".

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.