Author: goahead

why most Chinese prefer boy in China. [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-5-30 23:34:30 |Display all floors
Originally posted by colorfulwolf at 30-5-2006 13:23
i wouldnt buy into all the PC crap. it would be unthinkable for me not to have a son to continue my bloodlines.

To the point where you would abort a female fetus?

I don't see this as PC, I see it as an end to pointless discrimination. Children should be valued on their own merits, not on their gender. It's sad when people "prefer" boys or girls over the other. They're not fashion excessories or pets - they're human beings that should be treated with respect. I don't see the difference between only wanting a boy (or girl) and only wanting a Silver Mercedes. People should be thankful they can have a child at all!

And the idea that sons "continue" a bloodline whereas a daughter doesn't is just baseless nonsense. When your child gets married they start a completely new family, half from you and your spouse and half from your brother/sister-in-law. Neither family's "blood" takes preference according to the gender of their children.

[ Last edited by mencius at 2006-5-30 04:41 PM ]
"People are the water, the ruler is the boat; water can carry the boat, but it can also capsize it."

-- Li Shimin (2nd Tang Emperor, "Taizong")

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-31 00:12:28 |Display all floors
Lest not forget the girl takes the guys name not vice versa. However...the preference of this is one reason why China is deemed still a bit 'backwards' in many aspects. Ironicly the girl keeps her name in China while in the West takes the man's family name.
((EyeOfStorm))
~All that which glitters is not gold~

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-31 09:37:26 |Display all floors
i am a boy and my parents are fond of me,but they sill hope to have a daughter.  this is not allowed in china. in fact , the development of the society have made little differences between the boys and the girls. the girls can do as good as the boys. the boys can also do somthing the girls are good at. even in many villages of china, the people prefer a daughter. raising boys in order not to be insulted by the others is not important. after all, it is a modern society.  the fight is not the best way to solve the problems.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-31 11:40:18 |Display all floors
When I marry my girl, I hope we will have a daughter. I will also take my girl's family name. I believe that is the way things should be.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-31 18:34:58 |Display all floors
the tortile traditioa is still make strenge to the pople.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-12-2 04:09:05 |Display all floors
I don't know, I live in Canada and maybe living in the West, we have more enlightened views on people in general and children in particular. Here we value and cherish all human life, regardless of sex. Most people consider the birth of a child to be a gift anyway; the fact that it is a boy or girl makes absolutely no difference to most, if not all people here. Don't get me wrong, I love the Chinese culture (my wife is Chinese) but prefering boys over girls is just so backward and patriarchal. I really feel sorry for people who think this way. I can see that in more agrarian times there may have been some advantage, but surely (hopefully) the human race is evolving to higher levels and this preference for boys will soon be a thing of the past.

[ Last edited by baoluo1 at 2009-12-2 04:43 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-12-2 18:44:29 |Display all floors
As most mankind, Chinese prefer a boy. As we know that male is more powerful than female. Specially in countryside,boyes can help their families do more heavy works. In some area the society is not very stable ,less security. If a family have five or more mature males,it will be more security. At least no one will teast them.   But if a family has only one male,it will in trouble. Even their neighbor will give them a lot of troubles!

Dont make so simplist analysis

Men are not "stronger" than women, and let me tell you that many many many societies dont share this belief. The best exampel that show this idea is wrong can just be found here in Asia: go anywhere in Indonesia, Vietnam, SOuth China, etc, rural place: you will find women working outside, certainely doing more hard work than men. Of course, another wrong in your analysis is that you forget all the "invisibles" works that women provide to society: children, cook, etc. In fact, the probem of your analysis is that you seems to confuse a so-called scientif truth (wich is wrong) with society ideology: china is patrilinear society: men are asked to care for the real estate, and pass their name to the next generation, they also pray the ancestors, wich worship is the basis symbolic activity that define china household. As many other societies, but not all societies, you live in a patrilineal society where more "importance" is given to men, its not a problem of "strenght", its a problem of culture.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.