Author: catbird

Do you dare to believe western media's reports on China? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-3-17 01:12:43 |Display all floors
A good friend of mine works for a news agency in Shanghai. They are TOLD what they can and can't report on.

1) Do you know why the "ring road" to Pudong is merely a U, but was opened anyway??? I'll give you two guesses, and neither one was reported in the paper. ok?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-17 01:28:31 |Display all floors
风水?
瑞典人,活着为中国娃娃而死。汉学家、工程师、摄影师、网页设计师等等。爱好:政治、历史、科技、文化等。王菲迷。自由主义者。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-17 03:41:20 |Display all floors

Hi Tek

U as a new ring road to Pudong? What do you mean? The northern high way?
Andy Dob

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-17 08:40:23 |Display all floors

really happy?

"benemaru" A statement you made "we're living happily here" peaked my interest
and is a subject that I have often pondered about China as is emerges in it's
awakening.  "Happiness" is a very subjective topic.  A people cannot be "happy"
about what they have never been exposed to.  By and large Chinese people are
"happy" believing that their government does everything with good intentions, they
must believe in what their government does and NOBODY challenges anything
that the government does or says.  As China does emerge (which is happening,
nobody would have imagined a forum such as this, even with it's limits, twenty
even fifteen years ago), will people's opinions change and will they think, I thought
I was "happy" but I really wasn't?  Do people's opinion of "happiness" evolve as
they are exposed to what they weren't previously?
       The exact same case can be made for "taste" and new food.  In the city I live in
there is an explosion of little vendors selling what amounts to nine inch pizzas and
the people are "eating them up" as fast as they are made at 2 rmb each.  The
people who are buying them must think they are either "good" or maybe even
"great”。 I tell my colleagues, think how good tasting these would be with a
little cheese or maybe a little tomato sauce on them.  So if at a point in the
future (which I predict will happen) the  vendors start adding cheese and
maybe sauce, will what once was "good" or "great" change to "how could I
have eaten this before?"

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-17 09:05:43 |Display all floors
Nah. Taste is a relative thing. The Chinese really don't like sweets and chocolates. And they are lactose intolerant, so that Cheese would be counterproductive. Most Chinese I know don't lika Pizza Hut.

The Chinese are happy as a matter of principle, not because of what the government does or doesn't. If you are happy, everything is easier. Depression and unhappiness is a Western welfare disease, and you can see some signs of it in China as well.

Most Chinese are happy being together with the people they like, eating some good stuff. Westerners tend to be happy only if they've made a million; they've lost their natural happiness and are stuck in their materialistic vision of what happiness is.

And about taste: with the notable exception for pizza, I have lost interest in most of Western food. Chinese food is simply so much more varied and tasteful.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-17 13:13:35 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mencius at 2006-3-16 05:10

If the administrators of this forum publicly declared that this was a "controlled" BBS, then I would agree with what you have to say. But given that they say it is "open" and do not tell us what is forbidden, that is the main issue that I have.

Look in the FAQ section, the two top items in Chinese. Those are the rules that pertain to the whole Internet in China. It tells you what is forbidden.

I guess it should be translated to English, but then again, those rules are mainly for ICPs (like China Daily BBS, and also individual bloggers outside the ICPs) and ISPs, not for individual posters within the framework of an ICP.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-17 14:39:54 |Display all floors

Are you alright Tek ?

Originally posted by tekvicious at 2006-3-17 01:12
A good friend of mine works for a news agency in Shanghai. They are TOLD what they can and can't report on.
1) Do you know why the "ring road" to Pudong is merely a U, but was opened a ...

So one good friend of yours in Shanghai was told what he can and cannot report . So there is a conspiracy permeating thorughout the whole Chinese news agency network whereby you are being watched and listened to all the time. Anyone caught not toeing the official line will be hauled in by a midnight raid of your home. He will be subjected to nail removals without anaesthetics and a little water torture may be applied....How come you missed telling us this whole story Tek ?

" ring road " in Putong is merely a U. Naughty naughty ! How criminal of them. Just as well people like Tek spotted this under handed dealing or else the whole population of Putong, perhaps Puxi and Shanghai would have gone down the gurgler. Thank you Tek ! Eternally grateful .

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.