Author: afri_simba

Why straight females are so moved by "Brokeback Mountain"? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-3-13 15:26:25 |Display all floors

I am not interested in a love story between 2 cowboys or men !

Hollywood actually had made many cowboy gay movies long before Ang Lee debuted his. It is also CHINA's policy not to encourage any gay movies to be shown in my  motherland !

No one really cared if Ang Lee is taiwanese Chinese, mainland Chinese.

He is perceived by the majority of white folks in Hollywood as "Chinese" !

[ Last edited by kanyuek at 2006-3-13 11:06 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-13 17:12:45 |Display all floors
Originally posted by kanyuek at 2006-3-13 10:26
It is also CHINA's policy not to encourage any gay movies to be shown in my  mothe land !

But, for gay films,  we have  霸王别姬 “Farewell My concubine” ... etc ...

And, for lesbian films,   we have 今年夏天 “Fish and Elephant”...etc...

Man-woman love, man-man love, womon-woman love, they are all LOVE!!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-13 18:25:28 |Display all floors

hmm

brokeback mountain is just a very touching love story. no matter is the love between two men or or a man and a woman. it is just love and love is just pretty.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-13 20:11:54 |Display all floors

Your question made me think..........

Why straight females are so moved by "Brokeback Mountain"?

i admitted i was deeply loved by the tragic love story. I am a " straight female " --- used here by Simba--- , why did the gay story touched me so much?

Here is my opinion:

Simba is right.  Ang Lee is a great director. He let it go itself. The plot is brief and pregnant with meaning. And two main roles are the same as those we see in our daily life.  At the first sight, we didn't have an aversion to them-- Jack and Emiss (?). "no girlish dresses, no girlish voice, no girlish behavious.". that's important.

Secondly,  not much about sex, no dirty, filthy left in front of our eyes. Even when they fought with each other ,jumped into the river,naked . You feel they are so naive, so pure ---- in a word, you can see only the pure love feeling deep in their hearts.

Response to Simba's opinion:

"Women hope/wish that their love can be echo back in spirit as they what they devote to men.  "That's true. I agree.

"Unfortunately, in the busy modern whirling world now, women can only be thought of when men need them under bellow the waist.  So, women get what they want from the film- "Love in the Head", not love under bellow the waist."

To this point, i don't agree all. Yes. most women are supposed to enjoy "spiritual  love " more than "pure  sex".   Women like to dream, hope to be princesses , wish to be love and love , emotional, fragile,.But this is not all the reason whhy they enjoy this film.  I think most women enjoy pure love , romatic story no matther the roles are gay or not.

What's your guys' opinion?   Didn't you enjoy watching this film? How did you feel it?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-13 20:12:52 |Display all floors
Originally posted by jarmain at 2006-3-13 18:25
brokeback mountain is just a very touching love story. no matter is the love between two men or or a man and a woman. it is just love and love is just pretty.

yeah, i agree with you.....

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-14 17:49:37 |Display all floors

Reply #30 otis22's post

Yes, NEW who has not been conned before!!!

WE have a saying new fools gradually becomes old fools
but don't be fooled most of the time.
What's on your mind now........ooooooooooooooo la la....Kind Regards

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-14 21:21:22 |Display all floors
But one thing is true in the story------- both Jack and Em.. brought deep harm to their families too. They hurt and to be hurt.   That's also why we say it is a tragic story........ a disaster to them and to their family.......

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.