Views: 7458|Replies: 8

The forgotten [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-3-8 23:01:47 |Display all floors
A while ago, I stayed with my sick father for few weeks. This is the longest stay in my hometown in past 20 years, so I got a chance to see what had happened to my hometown.

My home province, Liaoning, was most industrialized province in China. Her industry, education, R&D, art, sport were famous in China in past 50 years. Even right now, the average population school education years is till still number one in the provinces. And, for sport, you will find many of the players in national teams are from this province.

But what happens? Well, if I have to choose one word to describe my home, I have to pick “xia gang” – lay off.

I was told stories repeatedly related to how terrible the lives are to the laid off workers, and what violent demonstrations had happened. One of the stories is, the mayor was beat up by the angry laid off workers.

You may guess I will blame the mayor, no, I won’t. Here I tell you why.

Three relevant formulas in China

Formula one – Central Government Owned Companies (CGOC) pay more than 90% of their tax and profit to central government

Formula two – When the CGOC are making good money, they belong to central government; when CGOC are no longer making money, they will be “return” to provincial government. It means, when the companies died, they were not central government owned, but provincial government owned. Then, the laid off workers will belong to the province, and central government has a clean hand.

Formula three – CGOC are nothing to do with provincial government. They are completely controlled by central government. Municipal governments are of course even nobody; they are not even a thing to the CGOCs.

I saw these 3 formulas work very well in my home – many years ago, when the huge manufacturers in this province were all belonged to central government. The government of Liaoning province was nobody, the municipal governments were treated like sh!t. All money came to Beijing, not this province.

Now, the huge manufacturers became huge ruins. Few millions of laid off workers are paid by provincial government and municipal governments. But where is the money from? Of course not from central government but from the tax collected from the companies in this province.

Is this fair? Does this province stand a chance to develop economy? The province does not even have enough money to pay the laid off workers who are forgotten by the central government.

Re-build North East China Old Industrial Base, Sounds good, but how?

[ Last edited by luf2004 at 2006-3-8 11:05 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-9 09:29:57 |Display all floors

a real problem.

my baby daughter's nurselady is a laid-off worker from the railway system in Northeast China. she was unable to get a job there after being laid off and does not have other skills, so she had to work as a nurselady in Beijing. she works hard and saves every penny, because she has a family of four who all live on her income. too bad~~~~~

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-9 10:16:03 |Display all floors

It Is Indeed Sad To See Dislocations

China has seen her share of heartbreaks for the last few hundred years.  The country is prospering, and yet it is true that not everyone prosper to the same degree or at the same rate.  High water raises boats.  But it looks like some got snagged under water.

Our hearts go out to the dislocated.  We Chinese still have to bear the burden of 3 generations and do the work of 2.  Give us another 20 years, and we will have reached xiao kang (fingers crossed).  

Xia Gang workers are hardly forgotten.  There are programs set up to help.  They are not deluxe by any means.  But the government is there to try to help.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-9 16:49:45 |Display all floors
Thanks annali and tongluren.

True the laid off workers are suffering, but be honestly, their lives are still better than those people live in the poor provinces such as Gan Su, or Gui Zhou.

The problem I see is unfairness, not the poverty.

The Chinese government policy overloads the entire province, it makes this province has much less chance to develop the economy and look after the well being of the people.

The policy is still there, no change. For example, the biggest oilfield in China, Daqing, is nothing to do with the local provincial and municipal governments, Daqing pays tax and profit to Beijing, not the province or the city. It makes a typical Chinese economy picture that the nature resources do not bring any thing to local people but only pollution and conflict.

What would happen when the oil reserve dry in Daqing? We will see, the central government will “return” Daqing to HLJ province at this time. Then the poor HLJ people have to pay the laid off worker’s compensation from their pocket.

The result is, and is still going to be , the 3 provinces in north each China will stay in poverty for another 20 years. They are still the forgottens.

[ Last edited by luf2004 at 2006-3-9 04:56 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-9 16:56:47 |Display all floors

Local "Shan Tou" Cannot Be Allowed To Develop

But for the sake of national unity, provincial governments must not be allowed to become too powerful.  The purse should firmly be held in the hands of Beijing.  As the visibility is much higher in Beijing, and there is more (at least relatively) accountability, as a policy choice, it is better to have the central government decide on how funds are to be disbursed and used.

Fairness will eventually be achieved.  Beijing has no incentive to starve any province from development.   It is just a matter of making do with limited resources.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-9 17:31:18 |Display all floors
I don’t understand what you mean here. Shan Tou? And why we could relate this issue to national unity? And why we have to believe central government will be fair to everyone?

I have not seen central government showing any fairness to North East China, and the unfairness is still there. The problems caused by the unfairness is still building up, but the central government is still playing 中直,省直 games.

How could I trust this government? Can you?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-13 20:46:43 |Display all floors
seneca

Surprises me you can discuss, not only hatred.

It is true SOCs were designed to die when China copied Russia's system.

I grew up in an industry town, I knew that the huge manufacturer that my parents work for, has no any R&D department, no right to sell anything, no right to buy anything. Even no right to build a garage or washroom – it was a huge manufacturer, it was call No. 1 in Asia.

In my home province, there were many No. 1s. These SOCs were all controlled by Beijing, not Liaoning province.

This is actually not what I wanted to discussed, what I wanted to discussed was – why Beijing run away from the problem after they created the problem?

The SOCs were run by Beijing completely, and contributed to local province nothing but pollution. But when the SOCs close to die or died, they were "return"  to Liaoning province, and Liaoning has to  look after the laid off workers. Where is the money from? Of course from Liaoning, not Beijing.

Why Beijing has no balls to stand up and deal with the problem but just run away?

No balls.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.