Author: yuxyoo

what 's happened with our college students? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-3-14 13:31:55 |Display all floors
I'd like to remove myself from your generalization about American college students having drunken orgies. I myself hate the college party scene, and I don't drink (well, I'm being weaned onto white wine, but that's not the same as your implication). Yes, unfortunately, there are a lot of college kids here who drink to excess, but it's not all of us, and for most of them it mellows out after their first year or two.

Maybe it's my exposure to Chinese colleges (Beijing University--pretty intense), but I didn't get the impression that people there did much outside of work. Every week I'd ask my tutor what she did over the weekend, and mostly she said she just studied--and it wasn't just her. Maybe it is more time than when they were in high school, but it's still not enough. 30+ hours of class per week is absurd; how about 20 instead? Then they'd have time to explore interests outside of classes and even have a part-time job. That would look great as they head out into the work world.

Oh, and by the way, it's yin and yang, not ying.

[ Last edited by sockmonkey at 2006-3-14 01:41 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-14 16:59:29 |Display all floors
i think there are two reasons:
the first, China's education system makes the students bear more pressure.
the second, there is only one child in more family in China.These childs are cockered by there parent and
their have little mental endurance.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-14 19:48:36 |Display all floors

Sorry if I ....

...touched a nerve.  It wasn't my intention to imply those things about any person specifically (that would be slander, wouldn't it?).  In fact, I don't think that I did imply that.  Nevertheless, I'm sorry that you felt that I did.  I'm also sorry for my typo, thanks for correcting it.

I know numerous college students from all over China, including Beijing's top 3 universities.  While the students are all undergraduates, none of them have more than 20 hours of classes per week.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-14 21:43:13 |Display all floors
Everyone has the rights to choose his own way of living in  this hard world,but he does it freely,which
makes his family very disappointly and distressedly and takes him to the place where he never comes
back even though very regretting one day.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-15 09:03:31 |Display all floors

The problem definitely isn't time

I just now received an e-mail from one of my former students, and it is typical of what I have heard over the years:  

"I have much spare time, I don't know how to make the best use of it. And it's most freshman's question."

Although she is only a freshman, she is studying medicine.  In high school, the students' lives were so totally controlled, especially at the "key" high schools (zhong), that in college, they literally don't know what to do with themselves.  This is why I suggested giving them some greater purposes.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-16 14:32:04 |Display all floors

i agree!!!!

Originally posted by vkookv at 2006-3-3 21:50
The entire educational system has gone wrong .

you are right! the eduational system of china is falture!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-18 07:45:57 |Display all floors

I think many students need psychological message nowadays.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.