Author: yuxyoo

what 's happened with our college students? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-3-8 22:27:35 |Display all floors
The problem is not only the colleges but entire China society.

Chinese expect too much from college students.

College students were regarded as “elite” in the society 10 to 20 years ago while only less than 1% (or even less than 0.5%) of school kids were able to get into colleges, and, of course, the entire country was thirsty on needing well educated youth.

The pressure started way before college. When I was in the last year in senior high, I lost at least 10 pounds, and other kids in my room were the same. Well, it was the life, you want to get in college? Study to die, or no way!

Then in college, the rule was, always around 5% will be failed in college exams, and you would lose you degree if you have 5 or more fails in the 4 years! It means it doesn’t matter how well you had done in the course, you may still in the 5%!

I still remember that when we prepare for the final exam of one of our most important courses in the college, myself and most of us had studied that we dream what we learned in the course! And you know what? Still 5% of us failed!

The entire China society expect the college kids so much that if a college kid did something wrong, the media, government officials, and even ordinary people will say – Wow! Why you doing that? Don’t you remember you are a COLLEGE STUDENT?

It seems college students are not normal human being, but half human, half god.

But we were not god unfortunately. So when we graduated from the college, few of us became crazy and many of us had psychology problems. Fortunately, non of us suicide.

Now, the problem is still there, but what hard to be understand is, now the colleges are wide open, you can get in college as long as you want to. Then where is the pressure come from and why the entire society still believe the college students are half god?

College is not for elite, and is not elite education, please understand, the college kids are human, they need lives, they need relief pressure, and they have to make mistakes.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-8 23:27:12 |Display all floors
The society doesn't believe college kids are demi-gods, it apparently believes they are three-year-olds. Because you don't tell a demi-god what to do!

College students need to have demands on them, very big demands. But such demands must be rooted in reality, as in what is required to reach the degree. The rest is up to the students, within reasonable limits.

And this 5% sheit sounds like high school to me. At Western universities, there are no such rates; everybody can be failed, and no one can be failed. You can also fail as many times as you want, because if you do, you can do the test again. If you always fail, I guess you are not talented or hard working enough and you won't get your degree, but anybody can fail a few times; it's normal.

It is often said that Western school kill talents. It seems China is even better at this. People like Einstein would probably not survive at a Chinese university. They don't fit in, because they are too unique and special, too different from the masses.
瑞典人,活着为中国娃娃而死。汉学家、工程师、摄影师、网页设计师等等。爱好:政治、历史、科技、文化等。王菲迷。自由主义者。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-9 13:28:04 |Display all floors
terrific of the Chinese enducation~~~

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-10 09:50:09 |Display all floors
pressure is getting heavier and heavier, from the site of the society and family...but the most  part of it from themselves..that is a shame, but fact..many students (people) define their worth only on the results of the tests...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-10 19:16:46 |Display all floors
the heavy pression..
Maybe the  faulty is another prfect.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-10 19:26:52 |Display all floors
Originally posted by angel85 at 2006-3-10 09:50
pressure is getting heavier and heavier, from the site of the society and family...but the most  part of it from themselves..that is a shame, but fact..many students (people) define their worth on their tests ...

I didn't agree.
NOW,the college students paid the attention to the human relation.
BUT Everyone had their limitation,Everyone became a elite is impossble.
so we had to aceept the cruel society...adapt to the flesh and the blood.

SO   we have to answer for myself ..for everyone who are Loving YOU...
Maybe the  faulty is another prfect.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-10 20:27:31 |Display all floors
@edingwil

hopefully, i've got the right interpretation of your text... what i wanted to express with my previous statement is .on the one  hand the majority of the students, my personal mind, have a too heavy load upon the their shoulder and on the other hand their self-confidence is too low , too depend on the career at the school or university...that two factors lead to pressure, which is made by themselves..
according to your text, of course the interpersonal relationship is a important part as well, but you're not able to change the society or the world, so people need to change  themselves at first...

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.