Author: adeley

I thought that was the whole idea of a rifle.? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-2-23 06:53:29 |Display all floors
It looks like eggtar explained it already, though I'm not sure. Sorry to intrude, but I hope you don't mind me explaining in English anyway. I like to practice explaining things, it will make me a better teacher. :)

What is the purpose (or the "whole idea") of a gun? To point it at someone and shoot them. So when Sarge tells him NOT to point it at a person, it is like Zero says "but that's what it's for, pointing at people!". He is not very smart. He is saying the "whole purpose" of a gun is to point it at people.

"whole" can mean "entire". You could think of these phrases having similar meaning:
whole idea
whole reason
whole purpose
whole intention
It's the reason the gun was made.

If you saw a person carrying many heavy bags, even though they just got a car, which was in their driveway, you might ask "why are you carrying all those bags? The whole idea of getting a car was to make things easier."

If you get a massage but it hurts and makes you tense, then you are missing the whole idea. The whole idea of a massage is to relax.
I am not rich.  :L

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-23 06:55:27 |Display all floors
Adele, I'm so impressed with all your reading!!! I have a book of Chinese jokes. They are very short, but it is so tedious to look up hanzi in a dictionary!!! Then sometimes I don't think they are funny, so I feel disappointed. I think I need better jokes, with easier words!
I am not rich.  :L

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-23 08:47:47 |Display all floors

I think I get the WHOLE IDEA of the sentence!

Kim和Eggtar说的是一样的,thank you all!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-23 09:16:04 |Display all floors
mmm... never though Zero was the name! thought it was some kind of a test on proper handling of a rifle.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-23 15:50:20 |Display all floors
Originally posted by freakyqi at 2006-2-23 06:55
...I have a book of Chinese jokes. They are very short, but it is so tedious to look up hanzi in a dictionary!!! Then sometimes I don't think they are funny, so I feel disappointed.  I think I need better jokes, with easier words!  

why don't you post some of your jokes here?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.