Views: 31524|Replies: 99

China + India [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-2-19 12:37:13 |Display all floors
Is there a show down brewing between these two Giants? Why does China not want India
in the Security Council?

"China Opposes India's Bid for U.N.S.C. Seat

Another sign of pro-active containment of India is Beijing's opposition to any move to
expand the veto-holding permanent membership of the U.N. Security Council. With the
exception of China, the remaining four permanent members have voiced their support for
expansion of U.N.S.C. permanent membership, with the United States supporting Japan
while Russia, France and Britain are supporting India's bid.

The Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson has now made it clear that while Beijing is
willing to see India occupy a seat in the semi-permanent or non-permanent category, it
remains opposed to having its Asian rivals -- India or Japan -- sitting in the U.N.S.C.
permanent membership category. "

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-19 18:36:01 |Display all floors
i think the news you quoted has told us the reason---China won't have its Asian rival in.There was a war between the two countries and has been some dispute along the border. I don't know much about the dispute but I heard India has always been very  keen on building her military power.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-19 21:31:17 |Display all floors
Originally posted by gloryhunter at 19-2-2006 10:36
i think the news you quoted has told us the reason---China won't have its Asian rival in.There was a war between the two countries and has been some dispute along the border.

So China's friendship with India is only skin-deep then, I guess. That's a real shame, but I always thought China wasn't really serious about having India in the UNSC.
"People are the water, the ruler is the boat; water can carry the boat, but it can also capsize it."

-- Li Shimin (2nd Tang Emperor, "Taizong")

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-20 01:01:54 |Display all floors

We could use India on the Security Council

I HOPE China does not go back on her word.....

"IAEA votes to report Iran to U.N. Security Council

27 nations vote for the resolution in Vienna, three against, and five abstain  

VIENNA (Austria): The International Atomic Energy Agency reported Iran to the U.N. Security Council on Saturday over fears it wants to produce nuclear arms, raising the stakes in the diplomatic confrontation - and prompting Tehran to threaten immediate retaliation.

Of the Board's 35 member nations, 27 voted for referral, reflecting more than two years of intense lobbying by the United States and its allies to enlist broad backing for such a move. Washington critics Cuba, Venezuela and Syria voted against, and the rest abstained.

Still, the near consensus came at a price for Washington. Long an advocate of firm Security Council action against Iran, including possible political and economic sanctions, the Americans had to settle for what is essentially symbolic referral, for now.

After years of opposition, Russia and China backed the referral last week, bringing support from other nations who had been waiting for their lead. But in return, Moscow and Beijing demanded that the Americans - and France and Britain, the two other veto-wielding Security Council members - agree to let the Iran issue rest until at least March. That is when the IAEA Board meets again to review the agency's investigation of Iran's nuclear program and its compliance with Board demands that it renounce uranium enrichment."

Use magic tools Report

hanlei has been deleted
Post time 2006-2-20 13:10:16 |Display all floors

NO, you are liars

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

hanlei has been deleted
Post time 2006-2-20 13:12:38 |Display all floors

And, and

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-20 15:34:11 |Display all floors
China+India =Super tiger!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.