Author: waikit

Does Chinese like to flaunt their success/status? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-3-12 10:37:08 |Display all floors
more and more people do that ,it make me feel sucks

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-12 10:44:20 |Display all floors
Some ancient Chinese maxims:

弹打出头鸟 (It is the most beautiful bird who will be shot.)
树大招风   (The bigger a tree, the more likely will it be destroyed by wind.)
人怕出名猪怕壮  (the danger for a hog is getting fat;  in that matter, the danger for a man is becoming high-profiled.)

Though for thousands of years the mentality of Chinese people have changed a lot, there doctrines are still deep-rooted in their hearts.
If you wanna live in China and be accepted by the mainstream, please keep the words above in mind.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-12 11:48:22 |Display all floors
In my opinion I do not see arrogance but I definately see a much higher degree of showing off their success. On TV now all you see is promotion of confidence. (Wo Nen!!, Xiang Xing Wo and all that 'talk') However, at times that confidence the mainstream wants to propel to people dont look very natural. When they display that confidence it still looks extremely fake and extrinsic and just for show on the camera. Confidences main component is attitude and I see imitation but no true attitude like I would see back in the west.  "walk the walk  then talk the talk"
((EyeOfStorm))
~All that which glitters is not gold~

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-12 21:47:13 |Display all floors
modest is a brilliant tradition of chinese , maybe someone like to flatter the leader of his , but i believe most of the chinese are quite modest and sincere.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-27 10:17:22 |Display all floors
without doubt, modesty and honesty  are the excellent virtues for chinese ,especially  countrymen in rural areas. However ,on the other hand ,  most chinese  have a extensively  attention on  personal face  question.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-4-5 15:51:05 |Display all floors
a large population definitely has its different people , very different indeed .
those who like to show off or brag their luxury to others are called "暴发户" , deserve to be looked down upon.
unfortunately many foreigners are liable to be  surrounded with them  , that's  because of  where foreigners stay ot go in China are always pubs or recreation sites in big cities often filled with such guys .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-4-5 16:05:18 |Display all floors
Originally posted by frank01 at 2006-4-5 15:51

those who like to show off or brag their luxury to others are called "暴发户" , deserve to be looked down on.

Dunno about that. They are weird, that much is true. A few of those have come to me, offered their friendship, invited me to countless of extravagance dinners in times when I've had no money. They've been friendly, but they all have one thing in common: they disappeared as mysteriously as they arrived after a while, thereby proving they weren't after friendship in the first place.

It would be wise not to brag in front of laowais; they will not fall for it, but will wait to see what these baofahu are really up to. Friendship can't be bought.
瑞典人,活着为中国娃娃而死。汉学家、工程师、摄影师、网页设计师等等。爱好:政治、历史、科技、文化等。王菲迷。自由主义者。

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.