Views: 1778|Replies: 7

ABC [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-2-11 21:22:12 |Display all floors
Chinese American =American-born chinese?
Amercian Chinese=chinese living in America?
理解=>表达=》润色
understanding+expressing+polishing

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-11 23:19:58 |Display all floors
Chinese American 美籍华人
American Chinese =?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-12 04:30:08 |Display all floors
In America we usually say "_____ - American" for someone who was born somewhere else, but lives here now. Sometimes this label goes onto the children, even if they were born in America. Therefore, it could mean either situation.
Chinese-American
Italian- American
Irish-American

A Chinese-American may or may not be a citizen of America.

Here, we don't usually say American-Chinese, or American-Italian, etc, at all.  If the phrase starts with "American-" I would assume they were at least an American citizen, whether by birth or by moving & becoming a citizen.
I am not rich.  :L

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-12 04:47:19 |Display all floors

ABC

Originally posted by freakyqi at 2006-2-12 04:30
In America we usually say "_____ - American" for someone who was born somewhere else, but lives here now. Sometimes this label goes onto the children, even if they were born in America. T ...

#3 reply  is not entirely true.

First the Acronym ABC = American Born Chinese.
Second, In USA we called all people who are American, something-American.  That does not mean that they are bornt or not bornt in USA.  It (the qualifier)  referred to their heritage or ancestry. e.g. Italian American.

99% of Afro-American and 100% Native American were not immigrants because they were here before USA was formed. Red Indians (not Asian Indian) lived here and black slaves were brought here.  [There are many Asian Indian immigrants here.] For the word "Here", I meant USA.

[ Last edited by edchan at 2006-2-12 05:08 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-12 05:09:26 |Display all floors
That's true, we do say Native Americans. I didn't think of that, I think I was only thinking of recent immigrants. I would put them in a whole other category. Other than Native Americans, if a person's family has been here for many generations they tend to just say they're American.

I looked up those phrases, and they all just say it refers to a person of that ethnic descent, whatever it may be (Chinese, African, etc...), whether they were born here or moved here. So as we both said, it can mean either situation.

In my daily life however, I only hear these terms used on recent immigrants and their children, or by people who want to purposely declare their heritage. I know people who were born in another country, or their parents were, who don't use these labels at all. They just say "American".

And for some of us, it would be very inconvenient to rattle of all the nationalities we are!

As for African-American, I heard of a famous black person (don't remember who right now) who was actually born in Africa, and moved to the US, and he said that HE is African-American, but black who have been born here are simply "American". Personally I don't see the need to say Anything-American unless you are still very close to that country (you were born there or your parents were). Hmmm, other thoughts come up, but they should probably be another topic...
I am not rich.  :L

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-12 05:24:30 |Display all floors

American .....Chinese

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-12 11:01:57 |Display all floors
CBC = Canadian-born Chinese 加拿大土生华人 = non-first-generation Chinese immigrant

C.f. ABC : American-born Chinese

American Chinese : It may be apt to call people like Carma Hinton "American Chinese".

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.