Views: 6028|Replies: 12

behaviour ways in china [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-2-8 06:45:53 |Display all floors
I would like to be informed about what kind of behaviour I should have when visiting a friendly family in China.What should I be careful .either at the table or in my everyday life with them

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-8 06:54:20 |Display all floors

A little information about yourself would be useful in giving you an answer

For instance, why did you use the angry emoticon?

A blind attempt:

Quiet, polite and humble go a long way with new relationships, I think.

Bringing an inexpensive gift is very cool.

You should expect to take off your shoes when entering their home.

At dinner, the hostess will probably sit you at the guest's place of honor.

It is polite to try whatever food is offered.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-8 06:56:35 |Display all floors
Hi eighty eight.I chose the wrong smilies by mistake.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-8 07:12:27 |Display all floors
anything else about the chinese.Oh I want to learn if I can hug and kiss a chinese friend .What about a chinese child.Will it be scared?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-8 07:55:27 |Display all floors

Hi there

OK you are a Westerner!

No, please do not kiss the Chinese!

Don't give them a hug either ... sorry.

They will be highly embarrassed and totally flipped out if you do either of those things, unless of course, they are already quite used to Western enthusiasm.

Please smile, a slight nod of your head in recognition, and then be patient, patient, patient!!!

Many of the big city kids are TV savy -- i.e. they have seen Western and Japanese cartoons and may be more worldly than perhaps their parents personality might reveal, but please, let the kids set the amount of touch and interaction -- you are still a kind of thing from outer space to many!

All the Chinese are very smart and clever -- you will learn more from them by their facial expressions, smiles and gentleness through your demonstration of patience.

Don't squeeze the Chinese, please!

They will want to know about you. They may even ask you some questions that you might suppose are too personal -- i.e. how much do you make and what is your age ... normal questions, actually, as you will find they are actually very practical about things and how they fit into their world. They will be sure to encourage you to fit into your own world more comfortably -- be receptive to a lot of advice as the Chinese love to mother everyone with lots of advice!!!

Hope all that helps!

[ Last edited by eightyeight at 2006-2-8 07:57 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-8 08:06:55 |Display all floors

Variations of a theme

Of course, there are a lot of different awareness's in China -- I really don't know who you are meeting and perhaps you don't either.

Please watch the behavior of your hosts carefully and follow their example. You may be offered a hand shake with one and all -- that is their effort to reach across your Western boundary, please accept it with the greatest of grace for which it is surely given.

Personal space is different in the West and East, with some patience you will discover this.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-8 08:25:07 |Display all floors

A little more for you

The children will eventually want to play with you, given the chance ... they usually have long school hours, so the play-time may be short.

You should find that the Chinese people are very playful -- but it's a secret! I hope your translator can transfer to you the depth and breadth of their magnificent humor, you will find them all very witty and actually quite hilarious! Unfortunately the play on words, etc., which both of our cultures enjoy, take too long to translate. The Chinese are a smart people with more of a Western sense of humor than most could ever imagine!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.