the police should be more responsible too

hence the force needs reform and new blood
and the c c p should control their forces better
Everlasting...Creative...Inspirational

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-9 19:22:52 |Display all floors
Originally posted by pinko7 at 2006-2-9 18:01
"I don't think foreigners get special treatment in China"
"It's just that the police is not likely to interfere until a certain level has been reached."
>>>that's special treatment

Clarification: regardless of nationality, the police doesn't interfere until a certain level has been reached. I have seen several times how the police observes a scene before intervening, to get a clear picture.
瑞典人,活着为中国娃娃而死。汉学家、工程师、摄影师、网页设计师等等。爱好:政治、历史、科技、文化等。王菲迷。自由主义者。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-9 20:01:45 |Display all floors

no worries

but what isn't clear about wankers obstructing the road?
the police aren't paid to observe

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-9 20:25:57 |Display all floors

its just one of those "greyish" areas

It's a political thing that the police have to deal with. Their not trained for that kind of situation. Locking them up for that is kind of extreme but I'm sure that Pinko7 is probably thinking in the lines of what would happen if this caused major accidents or it blocked the way of an ambulance or something like that.

Probably is the same in other countries where you get the childish tourists, but still I think its pretty damn disrespectful!
"I dream, therefore I exist"
http://www.modelminority.com/

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-9 20:29:52 |Display all floors

it's one of those things that could end really badly

i remember in melbourne a few years back some idiots stole a paramedic's keys to his ambulance...not such a big theft...but it could have had dire consequences....they were not imprisoned but they had to pay quite a substantial fine

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-11 21:59:50 |Display all floors

luna

Originally posted by lunafils at 7-2-2006 08:45
Many guys from West talked about freedom all the time. They think Chinese peolple are oppressed.
I wanna know What freedom is ilke in their countries? Is there any limitation on freedom there?

Yes of course there are limits to what we can do. As the others said, what those Americans did would not be legal. In the UK it is called a "breach of the peace" and they would be arrested. Blocking the traffic is also an offence. So of course we have laws to stop disruptive behaviour.

But the difference is when people are expressing real views, acting peacefully, etc. For example:

*We have the right to practice our religion how we like without restriction or State manipulation.
*We have the right to access publicly available information on the internet or through the general media.
*We have the right to elect our leaders directly, stand for election ourselves and form political parties.
*We have the right to voice our views peacefully on any subject in public, so long as they do not incite violence etc.
-We also have the right to stage protests or demonstrations without threat of arrest.

So I guess that is what freedom is for us.

[ Last edited by mencius at 2006-2-11 02:11 PM ]
"People are the water, the ruler is the boat; water can carry the boat, but it can also capsize it."

-- Li Shimin (2nd Tang Emperor, "Taizong")

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-12 19:02:50 |Display all floors

freedom

*cheer*

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.