Views: 14219|Replies: 29

Freedom? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-2-7 16:45:49 |Display all floors
Many guys from West talked about freedom all the time. They think Chinese peolple are oppressed.
I wanna know What freedom is ilke in their countries? Is there any limitation on freedom there?
This is a ture story. October, 2005, I was in Guangzhou, China for Canton Fair.  One day morning, several American guys roamed around the entrance to the exhibition hall. They sang the crazy song loudly and laughed hysterically. Suddenly, two of them pulled the iron railing aside into the middle of road to block the traffic. Their partners hailed and applauded. The Chinese military police on duty were very confused, but they just put the railing back calmly. However, the two American guys did that again accompanying acclamation from their partners and several foreign onlookers. It was beyond endurance of Chinese military police. Several policemen came to stop them, but these American guys seemed to be very angry. They shouted at police and whirled their fists in the air. A lieutenant of Chinese military police came to end the chaos. After incident, the blocked bus full of foreigners were in a long queue.  That was what I witnessed with my own eyes. I am sure that many people saw what had happend then and there.
My dear friends, could you tell what the freedom is? is it like what they guys did?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-7 17:53:04 |Display all floors

is that true...wow...

why did they do that?? is there any follow-up news about it??

i'm gonna check it on net...
Life goes on!!!!!!!  ----  I am what I am!!!!!!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-9 08:23:06 |Display all floors
No, what those guys did is public disturbance and would render a fine in any country. It is considered extremely rude to do so in a foreign country, and goes by the name of hooliganism (after a Danish word). Football fans in Europe tend to do this when on tour. Some rock music fans also do it after a concert.

There are limits to freedom in any country. Imagine there is total freedom. You can do whatever you want. But if you can do whatever you want, you may also trespass on other people's freedom.

Let's say I want to sleep at night because tomorrow I need to get up and go to work. Then your freedom of playing music loud all night is interfering with MY freedom.

Thus all freedoms in a society must strike a balance with everone else's freedoms. You have no freedom to pollute above a certain level when you produce stuff, because it will give me or my kids cancer. You have no right to discriminate against me because I have a certain skin color, a certain religion, a certain sexual preference or a certain political ideology, because then you trespass on MY freedom.

Freedom in the West is accompanied by responsibility. You HAVE the freedom to publish caricatures of Muhammed, and this will hurt people of Islam; you have then used your freedom irresponsibly, which will create problems.

Likewise, if a bunch of Westerners behave badly in China, it will give the rest of us a bad name. It is thus irresponsible to behave like that.

Sometimes people do pranks and have fun, and sometimes people cross the line a bit, but these guys provoked the police, which is going far beyond the acceptable line.
瑞典人,活着为中国娃娃而死。汉学家、工程师、摄影师、网页设计师等等。爱好:政治、历史、科技、文化等。王菲迷。自由主义者。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-9 08:26:06 |Display all floors

that's ridiculous...not freedom

those americans certainly should have arrested
in melbourne you'd be arrested for that...foreigner or not
Everlasting...Creative...Inspirational

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-9 11:47:38 |Display all floors

A better thing to do is

Dress up l ike spider man and cimb a tall building holding some sign that says somehing which can't be mentioned here..................

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-9 13:28:16 |Display all floors

American sb

They are too rampant ! Let they enjoy the freedom in the prison.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-9 13:35:38 |Display all floors

靓仔

totally agree and well said!
"I dream, therefore I exist"
http://www.modelminority.com/

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.