Author: tianyuanedu

Should China ban smoking in public places where minors might be present? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-2-9 21:52:37 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tmphgt at 2006-2-9 21:21
Many Chinese women too :)

Good point!
四海之内皆兄弟
-孔子

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-9 22:29:06 |Display all floors

a long way

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/eng ... /content_518290.htm

China to ban new cigarette factories
(Reuters)
Updated: 2006-02-08 16:32

China will not allow new cigarette factories, including joint ventures with foreign partners, as part of efforts to reduce smoking in a country that puffs its way through almost 2 trillion cigarettes a year.

Beijing would also impose strict controls on existing tobacco production, including taxes on tobacco leaf and industry reorganisation, Xinhua news agency quoted Sha Zukang, the ambassador to U.N. agencies in Geneva, as telling a conference.

China is the world's largest cigarette producer and Chinese are the world's most enthusiastic smokers, with a growing market of about 320 million making it a magnet for multinationals and focus of international health concern.

Chinese cigarettes are also among the cheapest in the world -- a packet can cost as little as 8 U.S. cents -- and smoking kills 1.2 million people a year in China, according to the World Health Organisation.

In December, Philip Morris, a unit of Altria Group Inc. , announced a joint venture to produce Marlboro cigarettes in China. Its partner is state-owned China National Tobacco Corp.

Sha's promise echoed past comments by Chinese health officials, including some by a spokesman for the country's State Tobacco Monopoly Administration early in 2005, and it was unclear how the Philip Morris deal would be affected.

Vision without action is illusion---Y.J.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-10 07:25:09 |Display all floors

tmphgt

maybe you should try smoke...to understand better...not that i disagree with your lifestyle at all...one of my very best mates gave up all that gear before he was 18...and his still going strong except for the occasional bit of caffeine...i understand your "been there done that" attitude...i feel very much the same way when my younger friends ask me out drinking etc...however i do really enjoy beer...and i can make home-brew at about 50c per 1.5L...but this thread is about smoking...since you've never smoked a good assumption for you would be that people do it for the same reasons that people drink...and they shouldn't be denied this...after all what is life about?...maintaining our health so we can spend longer maintaining our health?
Everlasting...Creative...Inspirational

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-11 21:53:49 |Display all floors

Just ban it in public places

Forget minors, adults shouldn't be forced to breathe other people's second-hand smoke. If you want to do it, you should do it at home or in the fresh air where the fumes can dissipate.
"People are the water, the ruler is the boat; water can carry the boat, but it can also capsize it."

-- Li Shimin (2nd Tang Emperor, "Taizong")

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-12 19:28:14 |Display all floors

we should ban idiots where minors are present

and where i'm present

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-13 13:36:55 |Display all floors
Woohoo, fellow teetotallers! Well, OK, I am learning to appreciate white wine so I can be appropriately social in more formal situations, but that's it.

As for smoking in public places, a lot of places in America are starting to enact bans that prohibit people from smoking in bars or in any public places--beaches, etc. It does sound draconian, but as a non-smoker and as someone who has a mild case of asthma, I appreciate it greatly. Pinko, your comparison to drinking beer is not wholly accurate--intoxication does not normally have an effect on the people who are not drinking. This changes, of course, if the drunk person is driving; then things get dangerous, but that's why it's illegal. Smoking, however, has a direct effect on the people near the smoking person. If you do want to make your drinking analogy accurate, then smoking should be outlawed when it affects others, which would be basically whenever they're in close range of smokers. Also, while I understand how you suggest someone try smoking to understand what it's like, I don't know how helpful a suggestion it is, since you're asking someone to take up an activity that is really bad for them just for the sake of seeing the other side of the argument.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-13 14:07:16 |Display all floors

drink driving

in any given year up to 20000 people die as a direct cause of alcohol consumption
in any given year up to 2000 people die as a direct cause of being in a car
however in any given year only about 200 people die as a direct cause of drink driving
don't take any chances...if you need to drive somewhere drink first!

also i'm sure one smoke won't harm you

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.