Author: melissa_gll

Can you play Chinese mahjong? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-2-2 18:56:16 |Display all floors

similar to the poker

jackhope has said almost abt it. but it also can b a kind of gambling

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-3 09:30:53 |Display all floors

I have to admit that many people play mahjong with a little money.

Many people believe that Chinese prefer to gamble and Chinese Government prohibits gamble strictly.The situation is that few people play mahjong without money.At the same time,most of players is able to keep the stake under control.For example,at home,one yuan for a set,we often play one day,the amount of money lost or gotten just 10 yuan.Sometimes 10 yuan for a set,one day only about 100 yuan lost or gotten.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-3 09:57:04 |Display all floors

But there is organised crime operators in China where they gamble

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT

-Nowhere can man find a quieter or more untroubled retreat than in his own soul.
Marcus Aurelius Antonius

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-3 11:31:54 |Display all floors

There are organised crime oprerators in the world,not only in china.

As I know,we  play mahjong in park,in teahouse,at home,or on the street.So many people play mahjong,so  few police.How can the police collect fee from the players?it is not serious that as you say.As for gambler,or professional gambler,there is an example,he is Yao Jianyun.His story is on www.yaojianyun.com.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-5 06:49:03 |Display all floors
Originally posted by jackhope at 2006-2-3 09:30
Many people believe that Chinese prefer to gamble and Chinese Government prohibits gamble strictly.The situation is that few people play mahjong without money.At the same time,most of players is able to keep the stake under control.For example,at home,one yuan for a set,we often play one day,the amount of money lost or gotten just 10 yuan.Sometimes 10 yuan for a set,one day only about 100 yuan lost or gotten.

What kind of majiang are you playing then? We also play one kuai games mostly (sometimes five mao, sometimes three kuai or more), and you can easily win or lose a thousand on a day of playing. This is using a version of Shanghai majiang, which has an upper limit (lazi), although sometimes with multiples (we do not use multiples). This means you can lose at most 20 kuai each game to someone with a lazi, adding 15 or 30 kuai for three or six flies (cangying) and possibly your own betting (max 20 kuai), a maximum total of 55 or 70 kuai per game in the normal version. (Actually you could lose up to triple that amount if someone robs your gang, but that's rare).

The government has prohibited gambling, but no one really cares nowadays; there are more important things to take care of, and gambling in China doesn't come with as much problems as in the Western gambling houses. I've played with policemen, so I know this...

NOBODY plays majiang without money, maybe with the exception for some very old people. It is simply a part of the game, and it wouldn't be fun without a little betting.

It is simply the best game there is.
瑞典人,活着为中国娃娃而死。汉学家、工程师、摄影师、网页设计师等等。爱好:政治、历史、科技、文化等。王菲迷。自由主义者。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-5 07:36:46 |Display all floors
no
"扶摇万重兮,
放我麒麟冲荡。
清清渭水兮,
舞我手中霓裳。 "

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-10 10:51:18 |Display all floors

no it's not a game

it was a game when it be made but now it's not just a game it's a culture
i am do not play it,but i want to know it ,i want to study in it

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.