Help!

i am at a loss in this point
i cannot tell what is my religion or believe
what can i do?
Every little helps

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-19 16:22:29 |Display all floors

Reply #2 home2u's post

Try asking your parents and your grand parents?

Maybe they know something in the history!

Tell you a story, an old man did nothing good in his life.
One day he had the urge he must see the enlightened one(EO).
(one seed has ripen in his mind)

EO was out for alms round. The other monks used their "power" and could not see
what good this man had done up to 80000 years. They tell him to go away.
But he says he must see the EO. He started crying.

EO just happen to come back. He ask why? The monks says he did nothing good for 80000 yrs. EO power can go further and scanned to 120000 yrs. There he saw the man shouted Oh Buddha save me. The tiger was about to eat me. The tiger went away. So this is the story.

I also did not know much when young until about 10 years ago.
Now i know a lot of stories from reading old books.
What's on your mind now........ooooooooooooooo la la....Kind Regards

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-20 00:27:35 |Display all floors

I don't have any religion

I am an atheist; I was born and raised a Christian (my father is a minister), and even went to Bible College, but in the end, I decided I didn't believe in Christianity, or in any other religion.  I now believe quite firmly that there is no god whatsoever, no higher power, no supernatural realm.  The universe and everything in it was 'created' naturally, through laws which are possible to discover and define through close examination and experimentation.

As to what I believe, that is a different question entirely.  I would classify myself as an existentialist humanist.

As an existentialist, I believe that the "meaning" of my life, and the "meaning" of the world around me, is defined essentially by my own existence.  Since there is no "higher power" to give me a "reason" or "purpose", I must determine that purpose for myself.  This determination is made based on what I perceive as giving me the greatest satisfaction/fulfillment, as most suited to my skills and interests, etc.  

As a humanist, I subscribe to a set of beliefs that while there is no "universal law" or "universal definition of good and evil", there are general principles that can be used in forming a system of moral beliefs.  A brief summary of humanist beliefs in this regards (taken from the International Humanist and Ethical Union at www.iheu.org) is:

"Humanism is a democratic and ethical life stance, which affirms that human beings have the right and responsibility to give meaning and shape to their own lives. It stands for the building of a more humane society through an ethic based on human and other natural values in the spirit of reason and free inquiry through human capabilities. It is not theistic, and it does not accept supernatural views of reality."

The two systems -- existentialism and humanism -- are quite complementary.  While many religious types try to claim that atheists will have no moral standards (since there is no god or higher power to tell them what is right or wrong), humanist groups are among the world leaders in promoting human rights and democracy.

The thing is, being an atheist is NOT so easy...if you follow a particular religion, you don't have to decide what is right, or what is wrong.  Your god/preacher/parents will tell you.  You just do what the religion says, and you're fine.  For atheists, there is no such pre-defined system of belief.  Instead, you must question for yourself, you must debate such questions with yourself, and with others.  And in the end, YOU ALONE bear full responsibility for your decisions, right or wrong.  You can't simply say, "That's what the Bible says" and slough off any further responsibility.

I have no problem with those who have religious beliefs.  I have friends who are Christian, Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu, Bahai, and many others.  I respect their beliefs, and NEVER try to convince them that their beliefs are wrong.  As an existentialist, I believe that it is up to each person to define their own existence as they see best...and if that definition includes believing in a particular god or religion, then that is fine.  In fact, I believe there are many people who would be incapable of functioning as an atheist...they NEED someone else to define their beliefs for them, and feel lost without such guidance.

That's all fine...so long as every group respects every other group, I for one see no reason why we can't have a plethora of different beliefs.  The problems come when one group becomes convinced that only they are right...and try to force their beliefs on others.  And that is a crime of which NO belief system is innocent, atheists included.

[ Last edited by canadianguy at 2006-1-20 12:32 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-20 03:58:34 |Display all floors

I believe I am a good person

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-20 04:00:05 |Display all floors

I am a simple and complicated person.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-20 04:01:50 |Display all floors

I am a clear-minded and confused person.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.