Author: freakyqi

Homeschooling - 在家自学者 [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-2-6 08:33:07 |Display all floors
awww, thanks thunderbird! That will probably be my only rose for Valentine's Day. If I get sad that I don't have any, I'll come here and look at all the ones you've posted lately.
:)
I am not rich.  :L

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-6 16:01:02 |Display all floors

Reply #22 freakyqi's post

i am a teacher in senior middle school.  the thing is that if you send your son to chinese schools, it is impossible.  The school will not accept otherwise they have such kind of education systerm for the international students.  and the courses here are very different.  we have chinese, math(hard), english, science(chemistry/physics/biology), history, politics, geography, computer, PE and art.  you  need to get good scores so the competition is intense.  
about the homeschooling, i do not think it is suitable for a boy as we all know that they do not have good self-control ability and they stay in a period that is very sensibility.  if we have good school we perfer to study there.
the combination is not easy, you need to find the kids that have the similar backgrounds and u also should heir  tutors who can teach them.  it cost a lot.
so the better way is to find an international school in Beijing.  as a capital city it surely has such kind of school that has the good systerm.  check the net as we always do.
good luck!

Use magic tools Report

jmcbride has been deleted
Post time 2006-2-6 21:21:37 |Display all floors

Beijing Normal University

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-8 11:32:32 |Display all floors
I appreciate everyone's continued advice, and I look forward to more!

addie913-
I realize it would be impossible for him to do well in a Chinese school. That's why I wondered if I could put him in for half a day. If he could take easy classes like PE, art, English in the morning, then at lunchtime go home to do his more serious subjects in English, I think that would be perfect. He would have some socialization, but with no pressure. It would not matter what grades he got because the important things he'll need for a US college would be studied at home. But he would not have to be home alone all day, he would get up & be active and be with other kids until lunchtime.

That would be my ideal situation. Of course I'd have to ask the schools, but I wondered if anyone's ever heard of that.

As I said, any school that offers classes taught in English will be too expensive. The International Schools' tuition will be my whole year's salary! How would we eat?!? :) Even School 55 and partial English schools are expensive.

[ Last edited by freakyqi at 2006-2-8 11:21 PM ]
I am not rich.  :L

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-8 15:20:08 |Display all floors
I agree!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-10 16:20:50 |Display all floors

Homeschooling a boy is possible but not always easy.

I have been homeschooling my three boys for five years  and  hopefully will do so to the end of their  high-
school years.  I have found that with good disipline and a daily schedule (and much planning).  You can
homeschool boys.  It also depends on their personality (how much pleasing their parents means to them)
and whatever work ethic they have learned growing up (from family, public schools, peers, etc.).  You should also consider the fact that if your son does not graduate from an american accredited school or
homeschool he will not be eligible for certain scholarships or government grants for college.  I also had a
friend who attended highschool overseas and she had to repeat many courses because in America they did
not accept them.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-13 18:17:19 |Display all floors

well

Do you know Zhengyuanjie ( he is the most popular writer who write the Tonhua( fairytales and stories books ) for kids , and he homeschool his son !!
in a talk show he talked about His way of homeshchooling experience ,
he said one day , when he was trying to send his son to the nearby kidgarten , he was watching from the outside , and he thought that the teachers in that kidgarten school was like Wolf , or tiger , he was so afraid that he refused to send his son to the normal school ,  I will try to translate some of talk show here , hope it would behelpful for you and more importantly for your son !
and Iet 's pray for you and for your son in the meantime Father he knows what is the best for you and for your son .

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.