Author: bestmary

You have a killer instinct. ??? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-1-13 12:27:09 |Display all floors

freakyqi, don't say like that.

You got it! The original explaination is just what I want!
You're really kind and warm-hearted. To be a zealous learner - you and me -in both English and Chinese!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-13 13:18:19 |Display all floors
Thank you bestmary! I'm still like a baby with chinese, but sometimes I try to figure things out anyway because I want to learn too.... and I wanted to make sure people knew "killer instinct" wasn't only about killing!  (but now I see you all already said that!)

So if I wanted to say that someone has a very good instinct, like maybe they are exceptionally clever and can see ahead of others, what can I say?
你具有敏锐的洞察力.   Is that right? (what victoriashen said?)

Those are all new words to me.
I think maybe this phrase 洞察力 means "insight"?
敏锐的洞察力 = sharp insight ?

And 具有... I've never used that word. Is it only for qualities a person has (personality) or can it refer to things as well (like a house or a good job)?
I am not rich.  :L

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-13 14:38:21 |Display all floors
You can say like that. 敏锐的洞察力 = sharp insight, but I wonder whether there's a noun phrase "sharp insight" in English. Do you say that? If someone has a very good instinct, like maybe they are exceptionally clever and can see ahead of others, we say they are "聪颖”or "睿智过人" - those stuff can only appear in writings, not orally. In spoken Chinese, we say "精明过人" or "机灵鬼", or "先知先觉", sort of things.

"You have a killer instinct", after what you explained, here I suppose "你真'咄咄逼人'!". But what victoriashen said "你具有敏锐的洞察力" is not wrong too.

As for the use of "具有", it approximately equels "be endowed with" or "feature", or just a simple preposition "with", generally used to refer to those abstractive things.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-13 14:42:03 |Display all floors

a revision

equals to, not "equels". - awfully sorry.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-13 14:46:12 |Display all floors

毫不留情

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-13 14:56:51 |Display all floors

Yeah, you hit the nail on the head! What a cool Max!

It's so vividly conveying what the speaker's meaning when he used the expression to find an outlet! But "毫不留情" just emphasizes on the aggressive instinct of the recipient - a figure of speech - but losing something in the complimentary aspect.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-13 14:57:30 |Display all floors

to freakyqi

I am not sure I would totally agree with you about "killer instinct"

I was told by a teacher from the States that it is used to discribe the innate tendency to going after and taking things over no matter what kinda way

It's kinda hard to find few and well crafted words in Chinese. 霸道, 霸气十足?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.