Author: spiritrace

HOT POT WHO LOVES IT???? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-1-11 11:47:47 |Display all floors
Arh....*drools* Hot Pot(including branches of Hot Pot) is hottest in Sichuan~~~
mushroom rules...=BB I prefer vegetable in Hot Pot...and when we cook at home, the only meat's beef....
it is not what you put in, but not what you get out from the Hot Pot that matters.
Whee..all hot, not yuan yang...good..I love all spicy and HOT~~!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-11 11:59:11 |Display all floors

After having gone the Gauntlet of Ht Pot in Chongqing and Chengdu

For Daotan and a brief history of how I got into hot pot.  I brought three hot pots back from China. One was a gift from my father in law, another was a gift from another person and we bought a big Chongqing style with the divider in the middle. The one you see is the Mongolian style. I have two of these. We can not get the kind of charcoal they use for the Mongolian style so I modified them with propane burners. In the summer we use them out on our back deck. We have taken them up into the mountains and made hot pot there also. The big Chongqing style does not have the flue or vent (volcano) in the middle. It is open like a deep fry pan or wide pot. When I came back, I brought some of the Chongqing mix packages which contain all the spices and hot peppers for the mix.
   The reason I put this on the Culture part of the forum is that not only is hot pot hot and spicy food but a cultural thing in Asia.  I have photos of my Chinese family eating hot pot and they are very serious about it.
   Some families have favorite mixes of hot pot and what they put in.....Like Jackliu likes white gourd, of course here in Wyoming I doubt that we could find that but we cold grow it......
   It is a Ma La Tang food....... Hot as in heat, spicy as in hot peppers and tang numbs the tongue... I am sure the translation is wrong but you get the idea. There are hot pot restaurants all over Asia as CaringHK mentioned.

Daotan, when you go to Asia, ask someone to take you to one of these restaurants. Each area does it a little differently and you can follow their lead. Be prepared for some sweat and pain but it is worth it. It is -8 C. here tonight and I am sweating....

I will try to find white gourd to add to this summers hot pot.... Oh! When my wife came, she brought about 30 packages from home.... However we found a market in Denver that has the exact brand she prefers. So now we don't need to have those strange looks from the customs people.
   Freakqyi, you can make vegetarian hot pot but it might be quite a bit different from the traditional kind because the traditional kind has animal broth... But I am sure someone can give you an idea about vegetarian hot pot.. Email me and I can give you some basic pointers that I know of. This is fun hearing about one of the things we all have so close in common.
   I hope I explained it. Ask questions. I don't know everything but I see there are some Hot Pot friends here who might know.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-11 12:18:33 |Display all floors
hmm, what exactly is a hot pot.. i mean... i donno what a hotpot is... i can see the picture but i dont really get it... LOL
In college alone and I am loving it. ^^

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-11 12:29:24 |Display all floors

Hot Pot refers to the food in the pot.... You could make it in a hubcap.....

Heat hot, spicy hot and numbs the tongue are the key words.

It is just a broth and spices that you drop your favorite food into and let it cook a while then take it out and eat it. It will have the flavors of the spices in the broth.

Can someone help me on thiS?!!!!

It's like sex, once you've done it, you never forget.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-11 12:36:29 |Display all floors
LOL, nice one at the end, i perfer the good old saying "once you go black, you dont go back" ^^
so you basically dump a variety of food into a pot and let it cook?
In college alone and I am loving it. ^^

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-11 12:52:48 |Display all floors

Right!

Just like sex, there are many different ways of doing it. For example you can have 10 different kinds of vegetables and if there are a lot of people eating it, then each person can put in the kind of vegetable they like and after it is cooked a minute or so, take it out and eat it. Same for different kinds of meat. Tonight we put in Ham, Smoked Polish sausage and shrimp. Next time we might use lunch meat, spam, chicken or beef. The whole idea is to get the taste of the ingredients of the broth into the food you put in. The broth is the key to the whole thing.  There are many kinds of mixtures but in my family, it is the kind made in Chongqing China. There are many companies that make broth.
   You can do it from scratch also but getting all the ingredients can be difficult. I have made my own scratch recipe that was not bad at all. But with my wife and daughter there is only one kind...... Their favorite.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-11 14:11:00 |Display all floors
I LOVE IT..I WANT TO JOIN YOUR HOT POT...I WANT TO HAVE HOT POT RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't know if I like you or love you, want you or need you, all I know is I love the feeling I get when I'm near you.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.