Author: jadeemperor

Communist China [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-1-14 11:35:31 |Display all floors

Reply #49 chrissun's post

I want to emphasis we don’t hate ordinary Japanese people, what we hate is the right-wing in Chinese who refused to face up to history.

Interesting slip here.
Both China and Japan have right-wingers who can not or are unwilling to face up to history.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-14 13:29:57 |Display all floors
I believe this is the pot calling the kettle, and only a compromise will resolve the situation.

A. Both China and Japan have a tendency to interpret history in a way that fits either party. Japan is doing this by distorting facts in a number of history books. China is doing this by ignoring some subjects and blocking them on the net. I don't think China has any credibility accusing Japan of history revision.

B. China misinterprets the Japanese tradition, and Japan neglects that China's interpretation of the ceremonies offends China. The only way out of this dilemma is removing the war criminals from the sacred grounds and let them rest somewhere else. This is Japan's choice, and the relations with China seem to rest on this one.

The Western stance on point A is that China is a hypocrite, and that both countries need to adhere to international scientific standards in history teaching.

The Western stance on point B is that Japan has not done enough. Unlike Germany, that has long since been forgiven by its European neighbors, Japan hasn't gone to the core, and there hasn't been any prime minister weeping on prime television begging for forgiveness for his ancestors' crimes (this weeping is a Japanese custom to save face). The Chinese would probably appreciate such a gesture.

But then, when everything is settled, both countries need to move on, build intimate ties, and go together into a prosperous and peaceful future. Both countries are very different today than sixty years ago.
瑞典人,活着为中国娃娃而死。汉学家、工程师、摄影师、网页设计师等等。爱好:政治、历史、科技、文化等。王菲迷。自由主义者。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-15 00:19:10 |Display all floors
Originally posted by chrissun at 14-1-2006 02:05
In addition, why not read the Japanese press, how do they report China? Why most of Japanese people dislike Chinese according to a recent survey.

If you read my article then you will see that there are people in the Japanese media that question the idea of a "China threat". And although there are people that call for Koizumi to "stand up" to China, there are others saying that he should not go to Yasukuni or at least change his policy.

It is important that the media be responsible. China has not hurt the US directly since the 1950s, but then again Japan has not hurt China since the 1940s. To spend so much time on what went on 60 years or more ago, even though they were so terrible, is not really being proportionate. Of course Japan is not seen in a completely negative light in China - if it were then nothing I would say could make a difference. But I am worried that the agenda is becoming so narrowly focused on the past and Yasukuni that it is making the situation worse, as people are becoming very "emotional" and can't think so clearly.

Please read my article in detail - I think I made a fairly clear statement. You don't have to agree with it at all - I never consider someone disagreeing with me to be automatically "bad" - it's the way they say it.

Let me just say that I don't want you to get the wrong idea about my attitude towards Yasukuni. It is a very complex issue and with so many different people commenting on it I think that I may well have produced more than one position!

I think that the best thing Koizumi could do would be to temporarily stop going to Yasukuni so that he can resolve the issue properly with China. However, as I fear that the relationship has got to the point where he is under pressure to keep going because China is being seen to be so pushy in Japan (so even if he considered not going he felt he would still have to), I have tried to argue that perhaps Beijing can facilitate a resolution to the crisis by trying to make a private concession of some sort.

I suppose that the one big problem with all of this is that we have no idea what is said by either country behind closed doors. Perhaps China has tried to make a concession but Japan has refused it. Or Japan may have proposed one as well, but China said it was not enough. It's really impossible to know.

(As a side note, you might think that I am being too cold and emotionless.Given our recent "discussion", perhaps that is necessary. I think that we are our own worst enemy when we get too emotional.)

[ Last edited by mencius at 2006-1-14 04:30 PM ]
"People are the water, the ruler is the boat; water can carry the boat, but it can also capsize it."

-- Li Shimin (2nd Tang Emperor, "Taizong")

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-15 00:21:50 |Display all floors

liangzai (#51)

I would have to agree with what you say - I can't add to it, really! You made some excellent points that I cannot fault at all. Certainly there is a collective "guilt" over the teaching of history, and Japan has not yet gone the total distance in considering the past and owning up to it. There have been steps towards it, but each time it's never enough.
"People are the water, the ruler is the boat; water can carry the boat, but it can also capsize it."

-- Li Shimin (2nd Tang Emperor, "Taizong")

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-15 00:53:01 |Display all floors

I think China is free....

...as long as you as a person - "do not think out of the box".

I have heard many people say that when they go to China they do not see or feel any
repression but these people are only there to work.

If these "Westerners" were to become politically or religiously active, then I am sure they
would have a different story.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.