Author: tianyuanedu

Is the Chinese language breaking down? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-1-12 13:13:28 |Display all floors

obviously

Where there is a Chinese, there is Chinese.
It's no biz with language itself and Chinese are speaking Chinese all the time.It will never change although they also could speak foreign languages.

I will pass my Chinese to my next generation and I believe you Chinese will also do that....Chinese language will never die...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-12 14:35:06 |Display all floors
Originally posted by freakyqi at 2006-1-12 00:46
""Last time I was having German classes, someone asked why I learn German if I didn't mean to study there...I told him I love it, then he's surprised...""
:)
That's the respon ...

I love German because of the lyrics of my fave band, and it became a passion to learn, someone just couldn't understand this...they say..um, studying in Germany don't you, it's good. Or..now they German companies are prospersing around, it's good for you to learn it...but if I learn something out of certain purpose rather than love, I'll totally lose interest. Some people regard learning as business--you invest and you must gain, so you are supposed to have "purpose", but learning is more for pleasure and your desire as I see....
I heard some reports on Chinese language learning abroad, for the purpose of bargaining while doing business and such...and the various English training centre, foregin language learning...for exams, for companies...but they never think of if they *want* to and love to...it's totally utilitarian I say
I'm a idealist...sighs...

Um..."unpalatable"....good word......I felt the same...though I've been learning English for 6 years, I never get any pleasure---the stiff way of teaching--take sentences apart, analyse, elaborate...etc, like you meal being taken apart...see..there are vegetables,meat, condiments...at last totally spoiled and turn into pieces, when it should have been delicious as a whole...
I never enjoyed English when I leanring it in schools, until I'm into LOTR later and then begin read some prose and poems...then come to taste something.

tianyuanedu, I can understand it, it is like that to someone and it sucks...it's just like I meet someone merely "demand" me help them with Chinese, using me as a walking dic or something, though they're not intended  
...I saw some of my classmates, asking those foreginers---
"Could I talk to you because I want to practise my oral English."..Well, they are not intended to take you a "tool", but I think it's really weird and a bit awkward, like you specially find someone because he/she is foreigner and could practise language for you, it's not talking like friends but talking to a tool

[ Last edited by superkylin at 2006-1-12 02:38 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-12 17:41:06 |Display all floors
unnecessary worry, most firends i know are learn en as well as other languages, french,spanish,japanese,korean, ect.
i learn en only bcoz of interest, also, i read 史记 in my spare time depite its hard to understand, im a  mechanic

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-21 00:56:33 |Display all floors
"tianyuanedu, I can understand it, it is like that to someone and it sucks...it's just like I meet someone merely "demand" me help them with Chinese, using me as a walking dic or something, though they're not intended "

I hope that never happens to Chinese, and that people continue to study it because they love the Chinese language and not just because it can make them money.  The day millions start learning Chinese for money is the day they'll ruin it just as many in China have ruined English.  I honestly don't feel like a human sometimes when I speak to some English-speaking Chinese, especially university students!  Again, there are exceptions who actually enjoy the language for it's own sake, and they're the ones who make the language enjoyable for me at times.  I'd even have women I didn't even know ask if I wanted a girlfriend!  I mean , seriously, how far must one go to learn English?!  I really don't have time for such people, even though I'm well aware that some foreing native speakers of English will take advantage of the language for their own personal benefit too, and drop just as low!

But it's pretty bad when even I, as a native speaker of English, can sometimes not stand it to the point that I must at times refuse to speak it!

Could you immagine the day when you go abroad, and everybody wants to take your time, not for you, but  just for Chinese, because their government tells them they must learn it, and so must pass a test?  Could you immagine if  you see Uighurs and other white Chinese abroad completely rejected no matter how good their Chinese is because of their skin colour?  Could you immagine foreign students of Chinese saying they want only Northeastern Chinese to teach them Chinese and looking  down on the Southern Chinese, telling them their accents are bad and correcting their pronunciation?  Could you immagine foreigners treating Japanese, Koreans and other yellow-skinned people as more Chinese than even some of China's own ethnic minorities just because of the skin colour? Could you immagine Japanese and Koreans having an easier time finding work abroad teaching Chinese than than the Uighurs themselves?  And then when you should stand up to defend some semblance of justice in the language, other fellow Chinese of yours on-line start suspecting that maybe you're not a native speaker yourself because you're so defensive about protecting the moral integrity of the language?!

You'd probably be disgusted and appalled at the state of the Chinese language then!  The moral and spiritual teachings of Confucius, the classics, the poetry, dead!  Treating all Chinese as equals, regardless of skin colour, accent or location, dead!  Chinese would be reduced to nothing more than some technical brain machinery for business communication, prejudice and materialism at its lowest!  You'd probably be begging people to not learn Chinese unless they want to for the sake of the language alone, and not just as some kind of international business machine(that's why we have IBM!)

"...I saw some of my classmates, asking those foreginers---
"Could I talk to you because I want to practise my oral English."..Well, they are not intended to take you a "tool", but I think it's really weird and a bit awkward, like you specially find someone because he/she is foreigner and could practise language for you, it's not talking like friends but talking to a tool"

Exactly!  And that's why I'm really starting to hate English in China.

[ Last edited by tianyuanedu at 2006-1-21 01:02 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-21 15:16:36 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tianyuanedu at 2006-1-21 00:56
"...I saw some of my classmates, asking those foreginers---
"Could I talk to you because I want to practise my oral English."..Well, they are not intended to take you a "tool", but I think it's really weird and a bit awkward, like you specially find someone because he/she is foreigner and could practise language for you, it's not talking like friends but talking to a tool"

Exactly!  And that's why I'm really starting to hate English in China.

In the West we say: "Would you like to come home on a cup of tea?". There never is any tea involved of course, and the same is true regarding "English" in China.
瑞典人,活着为中国娃娃而死。汉学家、工程师、摄影师、网页设计师等等。爱好:政治、历史、科技、文化等。王菲迷。自由主义者。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-22 23:02:53 |Display all floors

Ah, poor Liangzai

Originally posted by liangzai at 2006-1-21 15:16

In the West we say: "Would you like to come home on a cup of tea?". There never is any tea involved of course, and the same is true regarding "English" in China.

I must admit that usually there actually is food, at least in my case.  Although I'll admit that, since I'm a vegetarian, there have been times when the only option on the table for me was a bowl of vegetables!  And I had to feel special about it because they had gone through all that effort just for me (as if I'm too stupid to see past the 1001 grammar questions)!
四海之内皆兄弟
-孔子

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-22 23:27:44 |Display all floors
"I show you my vegetable if you show me yours."
瑞典人,活着为中国娃娃而死。汉学家、工程师、摄影师、网页设计师等等。爱好:政治、历史、科技、文化等。王菲迷。自由主义者。

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.