Author: peaches

To defeat a chinese man [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-1-22 11:22:52 |Display all floors
liangzai, seriously, is there research that shows what you said about the IQ curve being different for men than for women? This isn't a "challenge", I really am interested in that sort of thing, so if you know of a link or something, i'd genuinely like to see it. I did a quick google search & didn't find anything, but I know the first two pages of a google search isn't all there is to the world.
I am not rich.  :L

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-22 13:23:28 |Display all floors
Try http://denisdutton.com/what_is_genius.htm

I quote the relevant part:

I’ve several times used the masculine pronoun here, and it’s not cavalier sexism. Simonton discusses gender differences in creative genius. These again take him back to Darwin, who himself noticed that in a wide range of animal species, including homo sapiens, males exhibit a greater variation, for good and for ill, than females. Given an individual animal that displays some markedly unusual characteristic relative to other members of its species -- it is very unusually stupid, or aggressive, or curious, or strong, or imaginative, or psychotic, or vicious -- the chances are it will be male. We can speculate on the selective causes for this (Simonton regards it as unknown), but it is as true with human beings as it is with elk or hummingbirds. In our ordinary daily experience of people, this fact shows itself in statistical differences between men and women some of which might be social and cultural, but some of which have a biological basis.

If you chart the distribution of intelligence or general life competence by plotting abilities against population, you get a standard Gaussian distribution, a bell curve, with most people toward the center and decreasing extremes on either side. However, the enhanced-variation principle for males works here as well. When you plot separately for men and women, you find that the female curve is higher at the center, and trails off, approaching zero faster toward the edges, making the women’s curve a tall, thin bell, relative to the male curve. The male curve is flatter in its general shape; it makes up for its relative lack of height by trailing off farther on either side, indicating the higher number of men than women at the extreme edges of the bell. This difference in distribution means that in the center of the curve, where most of us (both sexes) reside, women are found with a slightly greater frequency than men. Down at the low fringes of the bell curve, men are found in greater numbers than women: these include the sociopaths who populate prisons, institutionalized psychotics, where men very significantly out-number women, and what might have been called in another age “riff-raff”: persons who float at the edges of society, institutionalized or not, depending on their overt behavior toward others and the degree of their incapacity to care for themselves.

But just as this variability characteristic insures that there are more crazy, subnormal males than females off at the low end of the curve, it also makes for more above-normal males, crazed or sane, at the high end. (Straddling both categories are the idiot savants, who predictably are much more often male: people who are unable to tie their shoes but who can instantly tell you the score of every World Series game ever played.) At the high end will be found the nut-cases who show up at my office door clutching their manuscripts, as well as highly intelligent obsessive and compulsive people of every eccentric description. I have talked with feminists who fret about the absence of women at the highest strata of historically important achievement in the sciences and the arts. Certainly they are partially right that historical sexism has to be a factor in this, and Simonton himself respectfully summarizes the arguments that explain the absence of women at the higher edges in terms of gender stereotyping and the impediments created by domestic life. But even if in future years social conditions are changed to encourage greater equality of achievement between the sexes, actual gender parity is about as likely to occur in the intellectual ionosphere of creative genius as it is in the realm of severe psychotics or idiot-savants. This is a matter of male variation -- which increases more than female variation as you move out from the mean in either direction -- and Gaussian distributions. So while the difference in IQ between men and women is trivial in the center of the curve, differences increase as you move up the scale, so that at IQ 175 there will be around 47 men for every woman (mirroring the many more low-IQ men at the other side of the curve). That these weird ones at the high end of the curve include more men than women is a worry we ought to place into perspective. Did those who worry ever share an apartment with a male example of one of these people? If so, was the personal and mental condition of said genius something they’d wish on the sisterhood? The disparity between the male/female distribution curves shows that on average women function through life with greater competence and stability than men. This too is intelligence.

But you don't need research results to confirm this, just have a look around.
瑞典人,活着为中国娃娃而死。汉学家、工程师、摄影师、网页设计师等等。爱好:政治、历史、科技、文化等。王菲迷。自由主义者。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-23 04:24:19 |Display all floors
"But you don't need research results to confirm this, just have a look around."
Umm, actually I do. Having a look around isn't going to show me what the IQ curves for men vs. women look like.
Thanks for the link.

And were you implying earlier that your claims were echoed because I said I didn't have the time to debate here? Was that supposed to show I "don't dig deeper" or get bored easily or something? Your statement confused me a bit, but don't worry, I'm sure it's just because I'm a stupid boring girl.
If that was what you meant, whatever. I still don't have time to debate here. That has nothing to do with my intelligence or sex or even personality. It has to do with me having other priorities, that's all. I'm on ChinaDaily for other reasons.

peace
I am not rich.  :L

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-19 10:29:26 |Display all floors
I personaly enjoy a woman that is challenging. I have no problem in having my flaws pointed out, If i agree, I will improve them. I do expect to be treated with respect though, and I think pretty much everybody wants that. In China the keeping face syndrome is very strong, face must be kept at all cost. It is part of the asian mentality and not wrong or right, just is.

But being a westener, i think i am much more tolerant to woman proven me wrong then the average asian male. Just culture differents.
<< Live is the same for all, it is one great adventure with a deadly end. >>

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-19 12:43:44 |Display all floors
Whoever digged out this thread...some more points

The way I've been taught is---in real life if I have to point out someone's mistake I have to go in a subtle way---indirect way without hurting his or her feelings and meanwhile express myself clearly,  to strangers, and even to some elder family members.
In social occasion I can't talk with people in an outspoken way---they might get you wrong and associate it with disapproval and hatred---while I think it's small of vision, narrowmindedness.  
But I won't do that to great friends, I just straightly tell them what they've done wrong and why I don't like them doing so, or just "I don't think you look good wearing in this colour", sometimes it gets us a bit awkward but aslo things less complicated, and we're being honest, after things solved out it actually feels much better than pretending to be nice and friendly. So do they, and it won't have any bad influence on our friendship but on the contrary. Anyway I said that's just for close friends.

Creating a superficially hamonious and friendly atmosphere may be useful---but you actually got more problems.

This remind me of some criticisms against China---I mean some ones with neutral attitude but critic attitude, not stupid China bashers, sometimes I read the articles I found they're reasonable and being realistic, but some reactions from China seem a bit "take it in a wrong way" and associated with bad intentions. There are, but not all of them, and it is aslo a culture thing.

I don't mind people pointing out my mistakes if I were wrong, and I'd be thankful, I think it has nothing to do with how much pressure you suffered just how strong you are.

The more he cares about face the weaker he is...inner.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-22 01:55:00 |Display all floors
To all you girls:

Stop patting yourself on the back as if you are smart. All of you together would be no match for me.

There is no way on earth that you could ever make me look silly or "lose face".

It will not happen, in this lifetime, or in a million lifetimes.

Sorry to rain on your parade!
I am Chinese and Proud of it!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-22 02:13:17 |Display all floors
Originally posted by sinfulangel at 2006-1-9 20:37
Oh..I dont think you can find many smart chinese men..

Cos their stupid ego just makes me sick...

Why do they think they are smarter than us women??

I always think women are smarter if the ...

no, it doesnt matter what culture you come from, a woman should not talk down to a man, its not right

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.