Views: 7104|Replies: 4

China's Outward DFI [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-1-8 10:06:15 |Display all floors
China's investments in south America and sub-Saharan Africa are drawing attention.  I'll take Sudan as an example for this brief discussion.

China invested in the mining sector and imported Chinese labour are building up the infrastructure there. The Chinese there claimed that they cannot find skilled labour, from engineers down to carpenters and plumbers. Chinese also extolled the virtue of Chinese labour being much cheaper than their western counterparts.

This is find except for one thing. You have Chinese labour everywhere, very few jobs flow on to the locals. In time the Sudanese will realize that the influx of Chinese are not only stripping their country bare, but provided no jobs and no opportunities to better themselve. China will be no better than some of the erstwhile colonial powers, such as Portugal, which improted even bell-boys rather than hire locals.

If there is a dearth of skilled labour, then China should approach the Sudanese government to help train them. China should contribute to setting up vocational schools and give the locals a "ladder of opportunity" to better themselve. Sponsor those schools, teach them skills, teach them Chinese, train the next generation of Sudanese engineers and managers in China.

The rewards for China? A loyal friend and a generation of Sudanese educated by or in China with Chinese interest in mind.

This, China, is how you assert your cultural power.

Otherwise, China is there just to strip bare Sudan, and that will give rise to resentment. The Sudanese will turn away from China.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-8 11:29:30 |Display all floors

there's already resentment..

there's already resentment of the influx of cheap textile products from China to other African countries. Their local textile industry has been suffered.

I won't dare to travel to Africa even if I can afford. I'm afraid I'd be shot like those Chinese in S Africa.
Vision without action is illusion---Y.J.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-9 12:35:08 |Display all floors

Mmmmm good insights!

Yes, yes..don't fall for the same mistakes of the West.....

...we want to trade but we would like them to lead their own destiny....

good good

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-9 12:46:20 |Display all floors

What is the good of training the locals?

China has its own present interests to attend to.

China has no intention of exporting its culture.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-14 08:24:48 |Display all floors
I think what you talked about it's the outflow of  FDI ( foreign direct investment ), right?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.