Views: 5737|Replies: 9

Stopping by woods on a snowy Evening [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-1-5 23:15:03 |Display all floors
Can you tell me your feeling after reading this poem ?

Stopping by woods on a snowy Evening by Robert Frost
Whose woods these are I think I know
His house is in the village though
He will no see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake
only other sound's the sweep
of easy wind and downy flake

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promised to keep;
And miles to go before I sleep
And miles to go before I sleep

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-6 03:35:52 |Display all floors

The Actual Poem reads

Robert Frost (1874-1963)
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening (1923)

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

I realize this may sound pedantic, but the way the poet writes, prints, and publishes a poem has as much to do with the meaning as do the words, meter, rhyme, prosody, and tropes within the poems.

So, jn the posting above, the poem is centered, and this distracts from the flow of the meter when reading it, because the picture of the centered lines on the page is distractive to the easy reading of the metrical sound of the poem.  

Also, your posting of this poem deletes the author's punctuation, contains numerous misspellings and missing words throughout, and has a deeply serious grammatical mistake in line 14.

So, how do I feel about this poem?  I feel as if you could have done a lot better had you paid attention and put some effort into correcting your mistakes.  People on this forum do not speak English as a first language, and may assume that your posting was the original poem.

So, here is the original with citations, and my question for you is; how do you feel about this poem?
LSR.  龙诗人  or  龍詩人
A crater on the planet Mercury is named 李白. (Li Bai)
http://dragonpoet.blogbus.com/

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-10 03:53:18 |Display all floors

Formatting and punctuation

I agree these are important in poems.  e e cummings is a good example of a poet who made use of formatting and punctuation to convey meaning in his poems.  The over all trend in English is away from the heavy punctuation that was prevalent in the mid-19th century.  Now with the Internet and so much text that isn't punctuated at all, there is even less importance placed on punctuation.

Since the poem presented by geofferyadam isn't as the author wrote it, is it an original poem?  geofferyadam has added his own formatting and punctuation, and has changed a few words.  The way his formatting appears actually hghlights the repitition of the last line, the one unique thing that makes this poem memorable.  If you write a poem and repeat the last line, eveyone will say, "oh, yeah, like Robert Frost in Stopping by the Woods."  So emphasizing the repitition of the last line by centering the text of the entire poem is something that Frost didn't think about.  

I'd say the poem presented by geofferyadam counts as an original work.  There's also a change in the first stanza that causes the poem to read with more alliteration, and that's an improvement also.  The change in the last stanza further emphacizes an aspect of the inspiration for the original work, but personalizes the importance of promises.  Frost's line is somewhat weaker, while geofferyadam acknowleges the act of promising, not just the burden of promises.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-10 08:29:25 |Display all floors

No 605, it isn't an original poem

And the spelling mistakes don't help with alliteration, they ruin the rhythm.  The misake in the last stanza is not english, being ungrammatical, and thus it ruins the poem by having a line with no meaning.

You should know that not every mistake is creative, and you cannot use a page full of mistakes to claim creativity.

What Adam wanted commentary on your feelings, not your mistaken ideas about creativity.
LSR.  龙诗人  or  龍詩人

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-11 03:07:49 |Display all floors

Sorry, leungshuren, you're way wrong.

Maybe you could direct us to the section of the law that defines creativity?

The change in the first stanza improves the allieteration.  The change in the last stanza switches the noun "promises" to an active voice verb in the past tense.  That's a huge change with one small letter, but that's essence of poetry -- lots of meaning in a few words.  Re-formatting changes every line and places more emphasis upon the final lines.  

geofferyadam made a change to every line by centering the text, and he believed that it improved the appearence, a creative act that he was not aware that he had made.  Because the text was intentionally and consciously changed to a way that he liked, he added his own creativity to Frost's work to create a new poem.  The other changes reflect his own talent that he may not be aware of.  

Now if he chose to make the meter of the 2nd line in the 4th stanza appear as in the Frost poem, he could add the words "and must" and delete the word "to", so it would appear "But I have promised and must keep".  However, maybe the disrupted meter increased the impact of the line.

Thankfully, there are more viewpoints than your own in the world.  I'm glad no one like you ruined poetry for me.  geofferyadam also sought your feelings on the poem, and he has not yet received them.  Let's hope you won't ruin poetry, English, or scholastic achievement for him.

[ Last edited by matt605 at 2006-1-10 02:12 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-11 05:18:25 |Display all floors

Copying another's work poorly is NOT creative, it is a mistake

At first I thought you were just being facetious.  But now, I realize you really are intellectually lazy enough to believe what you are posting.

You need to quit lying to yourself:  Rewriting someone else's work doesn't make it original, unless you got your definitions out of 1984.   Some artistic works are derivative, but this is not a work by any definition, it is just wrong.  

I do hope I ruin anyone's idea of scholastic achievement that includes such ideas as stealing another's work, being so lazy as to claim a mistake is creative, and defending those wrongs by redefining the words used to describe the work.  

And you don't understand alliteration, or you have assigned some other meaniing to it.  If you don't understand something, please quit trying to make statements about it.  A mistake isn't creativity, it's a mistake.

Why don't you write a specific defense of the changes to prosody and scansion caused by the 4 mistakes and the removal of punctuation?  If you believe so diligently that this is creativity rather than ignorance of poetics and lack of editorial care.
LSR.  龙诗人  or  龍詩人

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-11 10:21:54 |Display all floors

Not original? You don't know your own standard!

leungshuren, your insults aren't beneficial to me or anyone else, including you.

Here's what you wrote in your first post:

"the way the poet writes, prints, and publishes a poem has as much to do with the meaning as do the words, meter, rhyme, prosody, and tropes within the poems"

I simply applied the standard you provided to the poem that geofferyadam posted.  It is possible to create without being aware of what you're doing, as geofferyadam did when he produced the poem.  He made material changes to every line of the poem, and in doing so, he increased the importance of the last two lines, which are identical.  The formatting and the other changes that I noted earlier have so materially altered Frost's poem that geofferyadam has created a new poem.  You may not like it, but that doesn't change the fact.  If you don't like geofferyadam's poem just say so, but don't say it isn't an original work by geofferyadam.  

I should point out that geofferyadam didn't present the Frost poem as his own work, but in fact it is.  It isn't formatted like Frost's poem and there are other changes as well.  Fortunately for geofferyadam, he owes no one an explanation of his work, and we cannot ask Robert Frost because he is dead.

Below is an image of either an original painting by Andy Warhol or a Campbell's Soup can with wrong colors.  What do you say it is -- an original work of art or a soup can painted with the wrong colors?

http://www.warhols.com/

[ Last edited by matt605 at 2006-1-10 09:29 PM ]
warhol.JPG

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.