Author: ruotong

Your English Proficiency [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-1-6 13:17:32 |Display all floors

TEM-8

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-10 20:16:02 |Display all floors

I don't know

Originally posted by ruotong at 2006-1-4 22:47
the writing lays more emphasis on accuracy but oral communication may want more of fluency.

there might be some diffenrent ways to look at this matter. some of us may believe that one speaks well if he or she speaks fluently.
However, I don't see very much which is reasonable in this argument. It would be an misleading idea.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-10 20:26:34 |Display all floors

Thank you , Farmer

I don;'t mean to mislead anybody here. English learning has many stages for different  learners with different backgrounds. According to the exams of all kinds i mention, they are alll written ones , none is examined orally. Some guys are good at speaking and can express themselves freely and rather idiomtatically but they fail in teh exams. Where does the problem lie in? In oral communication, you are allowed more errors and slips of tongues but written exams deprive you of such rights.
That is why i say Accuracy counts more in written exams. Speaking well is great  but i find some  speak fluent english, with lots of unbearable and uncomfortable mistakes. Maybe my understanding of fluency is not so accurate:) Just my humble opinion:)
Glad to hear different voices here. Welcome to join in the discussion.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-11 05:26:29 |Display all floors
Oral English is much different that written English. You can get away with many more mistakes when you speak. When you write, each single word comes into play and it is much more critical  to make a proper sentence. I have lived in the US my whole life and even I have to stop and think at times when writing. But simply talking I feel is much easier. A good example is to read something written. Then ask someone to explain what it means. The words will be quite different, but the meaning will be the same.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-18 13:20:46 |Display all floors

Glad to meet you, American gal:)

how many foreign guests here? welcome to china, if you have a chance to visit Beijing, I will definitely show you around. the great wall, the fordiden city, which will impress you, I promise. how about my writing?:) a shame to speak of
my oral English, but I am practising, reading more materials to enlarge my vocabulary and listening to VOA to improve listening. I belive I will succeed one day.

forget to tell MM, I passed CET6, a graduate from an engineering university.:)
Don't cry because it is over,
smile because it happened.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-18 14:46:30 |Display all floors
I have examed two times of CET-6, but finally i defeated, i couldn't pass CET-6 even though i have tried my best , i am so upset.
One day i found Chinadaily BBS which so many english speakers chat at here, so i attempt to write something, it's amazing that i could say more words and sentences than i imagined myself. I think this method using english makes a great progress.
I will make every effort to improve my english ability.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-18 15:41:17 |Display all floors
My robot is two levels higher than NES.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.