Views: 5819|Replies: 19

Help Me [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2005-12-30 14:13:14 |Display all floors
Who can help me?
I have a nephew and his name is :Rocky
perhaps next year, i will have another nephew and I want give him an English name too, who can help me and give me some suggestion, I want to call him like the pronunciation of /ei/ or /i/ like the Y in Rocky, Can you understand me?
Such as Lucky, or Jacky, can you give me some others, lots of thanks

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-31 05:08:28 |Display all floors
yes, call him cookie!!!
In college alone and I am loving it. ^^

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-31 09:16:15 |Display all floors
Daotan! Behave yourself!

That is a common ending on many English names. Often a full name is shortened or made "cute" by adding that ending. Jacky would be a girl's name. Lucky would be a pet's name. Or a gambler's nickname!
Here are some real English names that we would call a boy:
(in parenthesis is the real full name it might be)
Bobbie (short for Robert, Bob)
Robbie (also Robert, Rob)
Tommy (Thomas, Tom)
Johnny (John, Jonathan)
Jeffrey (or Geoffrey, Jeff)
Gary
Barry
Larry
Kenny (Kenneth)
Lenny (Leonard)
Benny (Benjamin)
Denny (Dennis)
Andy (Andrew)
Randy (Randall)
Ricky (Eric, Richard)
Mickie (Michael)
Mikie (Michael)
Nicky (Nicholas)

Ok I'm done for now. :) If you aren't sure how to pronounce any, let me know.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-31 09:29:19 |Display all floors

So, you named one rocky

You could name his brother Peter, since it means the rock.  

Freakyqi, what a great selection. You are the most thoughtful New Yorker I've ever encountered!   But, I'll have you know, Both Jackie and Kelly are boys names in my family.  And think of that great Actor, Jackie Chan!  Personally, I think Kelly should be a primary choice here, but who am I?

And such a quick response to Daotan in New Jersey!  I imagine you are a mother, Freakyqi, because you reacted so quickly like a watchful mother.  Well, you are in NY, Daotan is in NJ, perhaps you know each other.  For introductions, I am in Minnesota for the winter (cold, but lots of family here).  Nice to meet you all.

Good luck with the names, zijuanly, and Happy New Year To All.
LSR.  龙诗人  or  龍詩人
A crater on the planet Mercury is named 李白. (Li Bai)
http://dragonpoet.blogbus.com/

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-31 11:21:43 |Display all floors
And a quick response to you in M.... MI? MN? MS? Wherever you are. Those of us who are not from an M state get you all mixed up.
Good point. Jackie and Kelly can be men's names (are you by any chance a Kelly? You sound like you really like that name). And a public apology to Jackie Chan, I should've been more thoughtful. I have more Jackie Chan movies than any girl I know! Maybe I'll watch one to bed tonight. I wonder if I have any in Mandarin so I can understand a whole 6 words.

I've also heard of men named Stacey and Tracey, but not often. Oh, and I've said I'm *near* NYC, but actually I'm in NJ. Daotan is 18 exits away from me, but that's about all we know. Anyway, Daotan's been a little rascal lately! Maybe there's a full moon!

Hey CHINESE people.... what's up with putting an A at the beginning of a name? Is that a way to give a nickname? I knew someone who started his name with "A-", and also in my Chinese Pinocchio book, the cat and goldfish have names starting with A. (A-Fei de mao or something, I can look it up if you're not sure what I mean)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-31 12:47:02 |Display all floors

list more

Hey CHINESE people.... what's up with putting an A at the beginning of a name? Is that a way to give a nickname? I knew someone who started his name with "A-", and also in my Chinese Pinocchio book, the cat and goldfish have names starting with A. (A-Fei de mao or something, I can look it up if you're not sure what I mean)

Frankly speaking, I really don't what did you mean. You can list more names with an A at the beginning of the names, then maybe we can get your meaning.
Remain Uncorrupted

Baby-English, when can you grow up and strongly!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-31 13:28:49 |Display all floors

Thanks

Thanks all of you my friends! thanks for your help!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.