Author: freakyqi

Chinese table manners...? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-1-28 08:31:53 |Display all floors

caringhk is right!

I started at age 24, and I'm very glad I did. Through taiji I noticed some bad habits I had with my posture, particularly the way I walk because of an injury I had when I was 14. I walked on one foot slightly differently than the other foot, and I discovered that's why I was having a knee problem that was preventing me from doing a lot of activites. Now I know what I've been doing wrong (it was a barely noticeable thing, very tiny difference) and I haven't had a knee problem in a long time. I still catch myself walking improperly because it was an unconscious habit for over 10 years, but I catch myself, and correct myself. Now when I'm older I won't have even worse problems because of it.

There are other benefits I've gotten. Sitting & standing straighter, not slumping, able to relax, breathe better.... better balance, which helped when I was learning other martial arts. I did TKD for almost a year. When I was a beginner, I could kick better than all the other beginners, because my balance was better from taiji. They would make us hold our leg up and kick repeatedly (like 200 times) without putting our foot down. I didn't have to put my foot down at all during the 200, but other people would have to touch their foot now & then to regain their balance.
(I was a weakling and couldn't punch, but that's another story!)

You're never too young for taiji!

When you're old you'll wish you started a long time ago.
I am not rich.  :L

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-28 08:34:52 |Display all floors
Almost EVERYONE uses their body wrong. We all have bad habits we don't even know about.
So do I.

Taiji pays attention to detail. When I teach a new class, I tell them "I know you've been standing since you were one year old, now we're going to learn how to stand the RIGHT way." And everyone finds something to correct about themselves, simply standing.
I am not rich.  :L

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.