Author: freakyqi

Chinese table manners...? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-1-4 13:10:47 |Display all floors
hmmm.... i dont think table manner is neccessary when its just your family. when you have guest over, then its a new story. i personally dont have any table manner perferences... hmm nvm, i dont eat at my dinner table... i always eat in my room ^_^.
In college alone and I am loving it. ^^

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-4 23:30:44 |Display all floors
DAOTAN - I agree, I don't use any particular manners when I'm at home. I drink from my bowl of soup even if I wouldn't in a restaurant. Sometimes I sit on my couch holding my plate of food as I eat. I was thinking more like if I go to China and someone asks me to dinner -  a co-worker, or new friend, or cute guy(!)... I wouldn't want to do anything rude or that they think is disgusting.

Oh, also I'm VEGETARIAN. If I were to go out with just one person or a small group, I would tell the person in advance (so they don't try to treat me to Peking Duck!) but if I was in a big group, and they didn't know, and they put meat on my plate, I would probably just quickly & politely tell them "thank you, but I'm vegetarian" or something similar. Is that ok?

How common are vegetarians (Beijing area, if it's different around China) And what do meat eaters in China often think of vegetarians? Here in the US it is often seen as "wimpy" or unhealthy by people who don't know about it. Those who know about health know it's ok or good.

CARINGHK - I want to learn 108, but I'm afraid it takes a long time to learn, and I don't know that I'd have time to do it regularly enough. You learned from a good line! I have the names of some of my lineage written down, but I don't remember them now. My teacher was very ill with lupus at age 16. Two masters agreed to teach her - one taught her qigong, the other taught her taiji. They were from Shanghai. Our style is yang, but not like Chen Man Ching's. His style seems more linear, and ours is more round. I've had students who learned Chen Man Ching's style and had trouble changing their habits (of course I would too if learning your style) so I just told them to try my way, listen to WHY I do it this way, and if after that, you have a better reason for doing it your way, go ahead. I don't believe one is "better" than the other, they are just different. There are reasons for doing it this way or that way. I have two students (husband & wife) who do almost the whole form "our way", but open & close slightly differently! I don't mind.
Peace!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-5 02:33:07 |Display all floors

""I do 24 & 37 steps.....""

Howdy freakyqi!!!

I seen your comments about tai chi.

Please tell me why you do this excersise and why you feel it is so beneficial.  

I'm interested in learning myself.  People that do tai chi seem so convinced on how great it is...at least enough to get me to try it.

I don't have time for lessons in person, so do you think a DVD is good enough to learn off of in conjunction with a supplemental book?

""""I did taiji on vacation in Xi'an, there is a picture of it under "pictures", page 4 or 5 maybe"""

Do you have the link for this?  I can't find it.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-5 02:54:40 |Display all floors
http://bbs.chinadaily.com.cn/vie ... pictures&page=4

one pic on page 4 (this link) and a couple more on page 5. Gotta go for now, but I'll try to answer your questions later... oh, page 6 has a little bit of me talking about what taiji I know, but doesn't really answer you...

talk later!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-5 16:36:49 |Display all floors
I think it is not proper way to use big end of chopsticks.  The situation might be use big end of chopsticks for public when some service has to be done because the small end of chopsticks has been stained by private usage.  So it is acutally out of the table manner list.  

complement as i wont use big end and never saw others use it, if some dishes need sauce, we'll put it in a independent samll bow.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-5 17:07:56 |Display all floors

Reply #16 freakyqi's post

Yes, 108 takes time, 40 minutes to complete.
This is where Prof Chen took the important steps and came up with 37 so that he could have time to teach his Uni students.

Taichi will add layers to the bones make it heavy and strong.
One bigger taller guy took his weight but when he saw mine, +10kg
I knew it is working.

Chinese who are Buddhists mainly are vegetarians.
They take the precepts of "NO killing" and partake in releasing captured "lives"
from the markets(birds,snakes,frogs,etc..) with money devotees gives as alms.

One story, a General was walking passed some v fierce dogs.
One dog broke the chain and bit the general in the legs.
Few days later, the dog died. Why?

He lost his teeth. It was stucked to the General leg
and he had no feelings about it.
What's on your mind now........ooooooooooooooo la la....Kind Regards

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-9 12:00:32 |Display all floors

taiji..... part 1 - how to learn

(part 2 will be answering your question why I do it & why it's good for you)

mike-
#1 - No, a dvd or book is not good enough to learn from. Ok, well, you can start with that if you want, but at some time soon you should find someone who knows it well to watch you and correct you, and at least see a teacher regularly. A dvd can remind you of the moves between meetings with a teacher, and a book can give you extra info that the tacher might not have time to teach you if you're not seeing him/her very often.

#2 - Why do you *need* a teacher? Because there are a lot of details that books & dvd's don't get into. You can learn the moves from a dvd or book, which IS the first step, but a real live person can watch you and correct you and tell you the things you're not doing right (even if you *think* you're doing them). In any one given move I could tell you several details about your feet alone, then your legs, hips, spine, shoulders, arms, hands, eyes, breathing, intention.... too much for a dvd or book to cover. Mind you, all those things will not happen at once, that's why I said go ahead & start with a dvd to get the basics.

#3 - Keep in mind that there are many versions of taiji. There are 5 styles - Chen is the original and quite martial-artsy, with fast movements, punches, etc. Yang came along next, and today it's the most popular one you'll see or imagine when you think of taiji (in China & the US anyway). It's slow & graceful and usually thought of as an old people's exercise (yeah, right!). The other 3 are very rare. You can find dvd's if you look, but finding a teacher for them would be extrememly difficult. Within Yang (which is what I do) there are many forms, and the forms can be done in different ways. I'm emphasizing all this because if you're going to learn from different sources, you will see some contradiction. You will want to stick to one way of doing it for a while until you learn a form really well (at least a year, probably more). So you'll want your books & dvd's & teacher to all be doing something similar.

#4 - If you do look for a teacher: I don't know how it works in other countries, but in the US it goes like this. You look for a class somewhere (I can give you ideas of where if you really need them), or maybe through word-of-mouth. You call and ask to watch a class, or try one. Every teacher will let you watch a class for free, and possibly try to follow along if you want. There are no belts or ranks or certifications. Use your judgement as to how you like the class & the teacher. Ask yourself why you want to learn it (though that answer may change over time) - martial arts? health? relaxation? What does the class do? Watch several classes.

to be continued.......
:)

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.