Author: freakyqi

Chinese table manners...? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-1-1 09:44:48 |Display all floors

They make good music!!!! Playin the spoons.....

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-2 05:54:10 |Display all floors
dont forget glass bottles!! and those fancy glasses!!
what about steak knives!! i've been told that i shouldnt toy with those.... LOL
In college alone and I am loving it. ^^

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-2 22:43:16 |Display all floors
Originally posted by freakyqi at 2005-12-29 13:05
In China, what foods are ok to eat with your hands? Please think about all meals, including desserts and snacks. Also think about the situation - in public, at someone's house, etc.

Actually, the China table manner is exactly for the Chinese meal.  Therefore, firstly we should know that the courses of Chinese meal is quite different from Western one.  The most difference is Chinese share every dish with each other but western have their own meal for each.  We have appetizers which are small cold dishes, 5 to 10 maybe, then hot dishes, usually in even number becase we believe even number will bring luck.  Mostly, we drink with appetizers and hot dishes.  Then after that, we may require for main food which will be rice.  By the way, soup is the last dishes for main course which is really different from western.  However, Cantonese will have soup first.  This will be different from place to place.   After finishing the main course, then the next will be dessert.  The last course is fruit.  Actually, no course is ok with hands.  Chinese can use chopsticks in an amazing way to pick out bones.  

In America, when being polite (maybe not at home) there are small things to do or not do. We put our napkin on our lap. We wait until everyone has been served before eating. We try not to make too much noise while eating, or talk with our mouths full. We are told not to rest our elbows on the table. Are these things true in China? What other ones are there in China?

In China, we should wait for most oldest person sitting and prepared before eating.  We like to talk when we drink and toasted.  Traditionally, it is in a polite way to toast by  younger generation to older generation.  However, these days people will do it in a very noisy way because it becomes a kind of drinking competition.  They believe the person who had more alcohol shows his respect to others though it is nonesense.   We are also told not to rest our elbows on the table, not prop up chin by our arms, not yawn, not make chewing voice when eating.   These manners are especially for younger generation.

What if food is too big, like a big dumpling or bok choy? Is it inappropriate to pick it up with chopsticks and take a bite? Someone told me not to do this

Well, as long as you will not squirt juice inside, I think that's fine.  However, you could not place it in plate after you bite.  You need to hold it until you finish it.  

I've heard of serving food with the big end of chopsticks. What if there's now sauce all over the ends of your chopsticks? Do you just leave it there? Or wipe it off on your napkin?

I think it is not proper way to use big end of chopsticks.  The situation might be use big end of chopsticks for public when some service has to be done because the small end of chopsticks has been stained by private usage.  So it is acutally out of the table manner list.  

Please correct me if anyone find more information.  most of them are what I've been told by my grandfather.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-3 01:54:24 |Display all floors
Thank you Lily! You were very helpful and answered alot of my questions....

...unlike SOME people who were getting carried away with their chopsticks and knives!

Thank you again, Lily.
:)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-3 03:11:13 |Display all floors

Freakyqi

It also depends on which part of China you live too. In Canton, serving hot tea is the job of the young or host.
The harder you try to serve tea to everybody, especially the most respecful one on the table(the oldest one), the more polite you are. Also in canton, if some one serves you tea, tap the table with your fingers (one index finger to the person who is younger than you, index + middle together to the older ones). Also if some ne picks up a piece of fat meat with his chopsticks and try to put it in your plate, you better accept it and say thank you. Otherwise it swill be consider rude. Don't ask me why.
Forgive my English

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-3 13:57:14 |Display all floors

Reply #4 freakyqi's post

I learn 108 steps for 1.5 yrs but stick to 37 steps daily as forgotten the steps. 14 yrs now.

I learn 37 steps for 1.5 yrs. It was improved by Prof Chen Man Ching who had to "beg" a General to teach him. It improved his health as he was sick frequently.
He taught Huang who later taught to my teacher Ms. Tan(Malaysian when she was20, now ~50) Ms Tan was injured in an accident.
What's on your mind now........ooooooooooooooo la la....Kind Regards

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-3 15:47:14 |Display all floors

You are welcome!

You are welcome Freakyqi.  I still hope someone could correct me here.  Though we are Chinese, but lots of changes occurred and part of them is transplanted by west.  Sometimes, we cannot recognized which one is locally developed.  I am glad I can help a little here.

Lily

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.