Views: 4443|Replies: 6

Expats assaulting Chinese women in China? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2005-12-26 00:22:05 |Display all floors
I have encountered several cases, including a few that were in Newspapers, where I have even known the guys involved personally.

Now do some expatriates think of themselves as better than Chinese because they are expatriates? Forget the whole racist issue, but what happens when a Chinese woman reject an expatriate man? Sometimes things get violent or rude because of this superiority syndrome some expatriates have.

My girl is the manager of a foreign company. She has a wonderful body, slim, white skin with fantastic curves. Now some times some students or other expatriate men approach her and ask her things like, "Are you working at this and this bar?" Brilliant! She ignores them and usually does not answer them. Which ends up in them using Chinese to curse at her with very foul words in public.

Is there some kind of self-esteem problem where expatriates do not see Chinese women as humans? I am not sure where this problem comes from this superiority complex. Perhaps because too many poor farm girls have for too long put out to expatriate men, not the rest thinks every Chinese women be like this? Or perhaps this is at fault with the expatriate men?

I welcome and serious discussion and thought on this topic.

[ Last edited by finalthought at 2005-12-26 12:25 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-26 00:37:53 |Display all floors
Maybe expat men are all old and ugly so they can only pickup call girls...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-26 00:38:27 |Display all floors

What about Chinese men?

What about Chinese men assaulting Chinese women? It happens every year (don't need to be a rocket scientist to know that). Although I am sure some non-Chinese men assault Chinese women, I'm sure there are also cases of non-Chinese women being assaulted as well.

Some people are terrible human beings, but to focus on just expats is rather silly.

[ Last edited by mencius at 2005-12-25 04:39 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-26 19:59:16 |Display all floors

Reply #1 finalthought's post

There are always men, both expats and Chinese, in bars or other entertainment facilities with an intention of finding some girls, and the reason is known to all -- there are always such girls available.

Decent girls ought to be properly dressed when going to such places. yes, they want to be sexy and they are, but for girls not in THAT trade, bar is not the place to be sexy.

Next time when your girl goes to a bar or similar places, accompany her or ask her not to dress too sexy.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-27 02:12:57 |Display all floors

mancius, theshepheard, I know

As you know now is winter in China and it is kind of cold and a bit hard to dress sexy unless you consider pants and a coat to be sexy. The place where this happened was a public subway and she was going home from work. Anywyas let me try to clarify my post a bit better.

For foreign man most Chinese girls they talk to will or have to come from bars or another low quality place. So when approaching my girl their pick up line was, "Didn't I see you work at this and this bar?" Problem is my lady has only been to 3 bars in our 2 year relationship and she has not been in any bar for the last 8 months, because she simply does not drink at all.

Now I believe, what most people believe, that there is some kind of stereotype that any pretty Chinese girl will work in a bar or be an easy catch. That is why at the beginning tried to describe my friend's appearance, just to be an example for you guys, and you have seen the response! Now when she rejected those expatriate men they felt a need to call her foul names like, "Cheap wh*re!" Now I would not mention this if this was an isolated case, but I have seen it too many times! Is there some superiority complex with expatriate men towards Chinese woman? I believe most expatriate men believe a Chinese woman can not wait to get a big expatriate ding dong or candy cane, call it what you like, or she is always after an expatriate men's passport or money. This to me be a little bit naive.

Mancius you are right about Chinese man assaulting Chinese women, it happens everywhere in the world. Here I am just trying to discuss some stereotypes and not racism or sexism. If those expatriate gentleman were racists I am sure they would not hunt Chinese girls or be in China altogether. Perhaps they be just a tiny bit up themselves?

[ Last edited by finalthought at 2005-12-27 02:17 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-27 03:03:23 |Display all floors

final

I think that it's more likely that those guys are also rude to other girls around the world when they're rejected - it isn't because the girls in question are Chinese, it's that they're a girl and are rejecting them at all. Those guys are a minority that are too macho. People are either generally polite or rude in my experience.

But I don't think a majority of foreigners get to know Chinese girls in a bar. Perhaps it's more usual for them to get-to-know them there as they might feel more confident in talking to them, but certainly the people I've known have met girls at places of work or through other friends. And me? Well I just saw a gorgeous looking girl and for 10 seconds lost all my inhibitions to go up to her and talk to her (even though it was the middle of the day and I really had no excuse). And 10 seconds was enough to start a conversation :)

[ Last edited by mencius at 2005-12-26 07:08 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-27 15:16:53 |Display all floors

final

I also think you might be reading too much into the behaviour of one certain foreigner.  Many people look alike.  Many Chinese look alike.  It could be that this person mistook your girlfriend for someone else.  It is also rude for your girlfriend to ignore someone when they asked her a question.  I mean, you seems very insulted that he asked if she worked in a bar where he thought he met her.  What is so wrong with working at a bar?  Do you look down on these people.  I have been stopped by many people in China and asked many personal things on the subway, in buses, on the street, etc.  I think assuming the motives of others is not very nice.  I never ignore students who approach me even if it is clear they would only like to practice their English.  I think most foreigners in China are genuinely quite well-mannered, at least those who are not just passing through.  I think it's just an isolated incident.  However, I don't like men (from any country) that are rude to anyone.  I think it is unnecessary and only shows one's own insecurities.  Thanks for the interesting topic, by the way.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.