Author: hly2004

发音几个看法 [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2005-12-25 21:15:47 |Display all floors
4) Lack of adequate vocabulary
“Students don't know how to express their ideas. They have so much to express, however they don't know how to express it. That's because they don't have enough vocabulary. They know what to say, they don't know how to say it well.” (Wang Tong)

Solutions: “Actually, when we are learning English, we are learning new English words, almost everyday. However, some students feel that they still speak middle school level English. Their English vocabulary is very limited, the level of their English is still the middle school level, and it has not been improved. Why? We know that your vocabulary contains two parts, one part is functional part or 'core vocabulary', these words can function very well in your oral English; however, the other part is called 'recognizable vocabulary', which means you can recognize them very well but cannot use them very well. For instance, some students can recognize so many very difficult English words in their reading; however they cannot use them in oral English. That's because their 'core vocabulary' is so limited. So, we need to expand our 'core vocabulary', the 'functional vocabulary’. Enlarge your core vocabulary.” (Wang Tong)

How can we expand our “core vocabulary”? According to Prof. Wang, on-campus students of Beijing Foreign Studies University are required to make five sentences with every new word, and then, the new word can probably become the “core vocabulary”. Personally, I have even higher expectations about the new words. I not only make sentences with the new word, but also use a thesaurus to find and memorize the synonyms as well as the antonyms of the word, for I find it crucial to know them, especially synonyms, to make my writing readable and colorful. In addition, you might keep a journal; write an essay everyday using the new words. The work is time-consuming, but rewarding! I am a good example; I upgraded my command of English through such intensive learning in less than three months!

5) Lack of fluency
“Students get stuck all the time when they are speaking English, that's why they suffer from the lack of fluency.” (Wang Tong)

Solutions: “You need to practice as much as possible!” (Wang Tong)
The criteria or reasonable goals of one’s spoken English are accuracy and fluency. There’re several elements of ‘accuracy’, namely, a) adequate grammar; b) one needs to master functional and idiomatic expressions (for instance, in the bank, you ‘withdraw’ money rather than ‘get’ money, here, ‘withdraw’ is the functional expression in the bank); c) good pronunciation and intonation; d) enough vocabulary. As for fluency, we need the ‘speed’, of cause, based on accuracy. (Wang Tong)
Steven Lee living in Dalian~

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-25 21:31:30 |Display all floors

my opinion

“Alternatively, I also want to show you one point made by Prof. Cao Wen. She said, “Practice doesn’t always make perfect! Rapid progress lies in quality practice, active listening and guided speaking instead of quantity practice, passive listening and free speaking.”

I can not agree more!  I think some rules can help us speak english better.  I think many students in China can pronunce a single word quite well, but sounds not like genuine english when we speak a long sentence,  that's because we always read word by word.(If someone reads chinese word by word, it sounds odd),
we don't pronunce in "a sound group", which I think matters more than we can imagine.(if someone reads chinese, and he stops at his will, the listener will feel difficult to catch up with his ideal)
So we should learn how to read in sound group, that is,
(1)we should know how to read with liaisons(vowel-vowel, conosant-conostant, vowel-conosant),
(2)intonation(how to change your sentence's meaning by changing intonations),
it can helps attract listeners attention.

and the most important thing is to let people know that genuine english means more than fast-speaking, proper usage of word.  and the accent (am/br) matters not only to the comfort of the listeners, but also to the information the speaker want to convery.

[ Last edited by hly2004 at 2005-12-25 09:39 PM ]
To err is human, to forgive, divine.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-25 21:37:26 |Display all floors

About Liaison

连音从本质上讲并不是刻意的,而是语速快的时候自然的行为。

hly, check this out: http://lib.verycd.com/2005/11/03/0000072747.html (helpful indeed, enjoy!)

[ Last edited by stevenlichen at 2005-12-25 09:40 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-25 21:42:36 |Display all floors
的确不错,谢谢。
另外我觉得连音一方面是语速快的时候自然的行为。(也就是使语言流畅)
另一个还可以增加不容易发音的单词的音量。(自己的猜测)

那本书我最近正在仔细读:-)

[ Last edited by hly2004 at 2005-12-25 09:53 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-25 21:42:39 |Display all floors
Originally posted by hly2004 at 2005-12-25 21:08
Thank you for your link.  It's a good to learn pronunciation indeed.:)
and in my opinion the anchor's spoken english is quite well.

Thank you, I'm the anchor

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-25 21:44:09 |Display all floors

:-)

good job.

[ Last edited by hly2004 at 2005-12-25 09:50 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-25 21:56:48 |Display all floors

Thanks, listen more, if you like...

http://vob.beiwaionline.com/mcs/ ... 胜客&towho=

[ Last edited by stevenlichen at 2005-12-25 09:58 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.