麦霸? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2005-12-23 11:42:00 |Display all floors
You are most McWelcome.

Yours,
Mike

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-23 11:44:30 |Display all floors

Mic Donald?

Quote: [Again, most speakers would almost surely pronounce "mic" alone as "mc" as in McDonald's. That's why the phonetic spelling "mike" is used for "microphone".]

According to the rule, "Mic" could be pronounced as /mik/ , but never /maek/ like in McDonald or in MacDonald.

In this case, however, as an abbreviation of "microphone", it is pronounced as /maik/. Period. Language is not always logical. Would you ever argue that "come" should be pronounced as /koum/ because the word "home" is pronounced according to the rule as /houm/?

[ Last edited by tumujerome at 2005-12-23 11:48 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

rovi297 has been deleted
Post time 2005-12-23 11:47:43 |Display all floors

Good on you, tumu!

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-23 11:59:21 |Display all floors

Use a simple test.

Rather than argue why not do this? Take the three-letter word "mic" and ask your friends, neighbors, relatives, etc. to pronounce the word. Do not tell them the meaning. Listen to the result. Then come back here and tell us the result. I advanced "mike" as more phonetic, more acceptable, more understandable, yet you insist on "mic" as equal.

By the way, how do you say "mimic"? There's also a popular pen called "Bic" and not pronounced "bike".

[ Last edited by onepastyoung at 2005-12-23 12:01 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-23 11:59:23 |Display all floors

I see no agreement with Mic Hog

定义:In voice-enabled chat rooms, a mic hog is a typically annoying and boring chatter who holds the mic without sharing.

例子: I hate it when the mic hogs get on and drone on and on about their shopping or dogs or pick'em-up trucks.

我觉得不是很符合唱歌情景... 请大家考虑,....

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-23 12:15:50 |Display all floors

On "mic hog"

Originally posted by charlie88 at 2005-12-23 11:59
定义:In voice-enabled chat rooms, a mic hog is a typically annoying and boring chatter who holds the mic without sharing.

例子: I hate it when the mic hogs get on and drone on and on about their ...

Here's an example from a forum where someone was talking about Karaoke:

MellowDrama02-20-2003, 01:55 AM
I hated it as a child. Some of my earliest memories of family parties were of aunts and uncles (drunk) singing terribly on the machine in the living room. So I never picked up the mic EVER! :angry:

But then I went to college and hung out w/ some Asian people my age for the first time, and they convinced me that it wasn't something for old folks. And the following sumer when I was in Japan & Taiwan, I'd go with my friends (several times a week), so I was pretty much converted to being a bonafide junkie by then.

And of all things... I met my gf @ karaoke! Her first thoughts, she said were "yeah he's cute and can sing but damn... what a ^^ ^^ing mic hog! Will he ever let anyone else sing?!" :

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-23 16:05:47 |Display all floors
"mic hog" is fine.
Compuer thays noh~~~

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.