RATS and SNAKES and SCORPIONS....add recipe's ... [Copy link] 中文

chairman has been deleted
Post time 2005-12-21 22:01:58 |Display all floors

I think you already know...

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-21 22:02:16 |Display all floors

I'm usually a bit t..a..m..er.

I like deep fried silk worm pupae though, and fried sand worms have taste all their own.

Edited because I forgot the ban on the letters T and A and M being together.

[ Last edited by canchin at 2005-12-21 10:03 PM ]
deep_fried_spicy_sandworms.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-21 22:08:36 |Display all floors

One should always include a "Before" picture.

My friend asked to remain anonymous.
some_sandworm_sushi_with_soccerball.jpg

Use magic tools Report

chairman has been deleted
Post time 2005-12-21 22:14:11 |Display all floors

They must be full of GRIT...Sand Worms....

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-21 22:31:48 |Display all floors

Reply #18 chairman's post

Not at all.

Once they are deep fried they are actually only sort of a crisp shell.

Actually, before they fry them - and I perhaps shouldn't tell as it sort of takes the mystery away - but I believe (not certain) that they squeeze all the 'juice' out.

The result is a very tasty snack not unlike potato chips (crisps I believe they are for those on the other side of the pond).

Let me know the next time you are going to be in Shenzhen and I'll treat you to a taste.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-22 00:41:31 |Display all floors
the scorpions...

That's truly amazing.  Do you just eat the crunchy tail or suck the meat out of it it abdomen???  Is there only poison in the last tail segment???  Disgusting...seriously, I don't know if we could eat at the same table...

Now canchin, chariman's habit is insane due to me being freaked about by the scorpions.  I've had to live with them in the past and they are not a treat to have around.  But worms??  Seriously, that's pushing the envelop.  

I mean, people will always says something strange 'tastes just like chicken'.  So, just eat chicken!!  Save the worms for soil cleansing, canchin, and take a trip to KFC. :)

Monkey brains:  I always heard they cut off the top of the head and served the brain in the upside down portion of the skull.  I thought that was..hmm, maybe like Silence of the Lamb-ish, but killing the hair sucker right at the table...it's not even cooked???  That's just plain nasty....while the scorpions are nasty and so are the worms, i think being at a restaurant with  a dead monkey under the table would definitely make me lose my appetite....or, you know, vomit!

[ Last edited by mikeghet at 2005-12-22 02:30 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-22 02:20:28 |Display all floors

Hey mike,

As chairman has folded up his chair for the evening I'll reply a bit.

No, you eat the whole scorpion - tail and all. Don't be so squeamish. Once they are fried they are just crisp, tasty, crunchy little morsels. My only complaint is that usually they only give you a small amount. The picture is accurate - about 12 to a plate, even the smaller ones (my faves and I could eat them by the handful, they would make a great packaged snack!).

The worms are exactly the same. Once fried they are crisp, salty and flavored with chili, and there is nothing "squishy" about them at all...unless you try worm sushi (which I am not about to do).

Silk worms though are a bit of an acquired taste and if they aren't cooked right they leave much to be desired.

Time to come to China mike - or, go to a good Chinatown (and I suggest that you go with a Chinese friend) and choose "Off the menu" (most Chinese restaurants have dishes available for "those in the know" that are not listed on the menu).

If you do come let me know and I'll arrange a tasting for you as well...scorpions, snakes, sand worms (only sand worms, not the earth variety), water beetles (commonly called Water Boatmen), silk worms pupae AND larvae...and to wash it down some 100 proof (or in China it is about 52 degrees) white "wine."

The wine can be seen as mandatory for neophytes as after a few drinks you wouldn't care what it was I was ordering :-)

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.