Author: mikeghet

A post dedicated to the Princess of China, Ziyi Zhang [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2005-12-28 11:32:41 |Display all floors

conspiracy

Originally posted by mikeghet at 2005-12-28 10:32
Last week on a thursday, I think, I went to see Dick and jane...I get there at 8:50pm as the movie started at 9:20pm.  That wasn't quick enough as the movie was already sold out!

Now, tonight, I ...

Don't blame the kids, Mike. It's the movie promoters buying up all the tickets to generate publicity for the movie...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-28 11:37:01 |Display all floors

Reply #35 observer3's post

Sorry fandango?

In another words,.....
What's on your mind now........ooooooooooooooo la la....Kind Regards

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-28 11:48:21 |Display all floors
Originally posted by caringhk at 2005-12-28 11:37
Sorry fandango?

In another words,.....

Oh, that's one way to buy tickets on line in the U.S.. I've never used it myself ... sounds like you haven't either.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-28 17:15:22 |Display all floors
fandango??  please, observer3, let's try to keep things simple and only use English.

caringhk:  Yes, there's a booking system and apparently it's called fandango!! ;-)  

Normally if I get there on a Thursday I'm certain to see the movie I want...

Anyways, I seen the late start movie...

Movie started 30 minutes late becase the film jammed...that's only happend 2 or 3 times ever.  I'm telling ya, it doesn't seem like it was meant to be.

Anyhow, I need to draw up some rules for rating movies...Any suggestions?

How about:

Acting:
Plot (some people like):
Music:
Visuals:
Accurate representation of history:
Overall:

That's good enough..

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-28 17:37:22 |Display all floors

ratings: Memoirs of a Geisha

Scale: 1-10

Acting:
Zhang Ziyi = 8.  
I thought she did a really good job in her emotional scenes.  But, I did not like how she kept saying these stupid sayings.  Maybe it sounds nice in mandarin, but in English they sounded so shallow.  The building up to the big scenese was kind of a joke too, because the big scnense were not very big at all.  In fact, swirling fans on your finger is hardly impressive if I can do it.  I was also tired since I had to see the late movie, so I might be a little harsh on Zhang since I expect so much out of her.  She did look, as you might imagine, very beautiful as usual!!!

Gong Li = 10
She did a wonderful job of acting.  I was really impressed with her and the way she was really able to capture her character.  The character was such a  nasty and bitter one, something she seemed to do a little to well.  

[comment on the rest later]

Plot (some people like):
Very up and downish.  There never really seemed to be a climax in the movie, because they played the suspense line far too long.  The movie played the dramatic line way too long as well.  Maybe the Chinese/Japanese are moved by this, but I found it to be prolonged.  Was it neccessary to bring in the Americans??? Just didn't seem very fitting.

I thought they did a great job of filming the movie from a woman's perceptive.  It's clear that even legalized prostitution (in any form) ruins the life of many women.

Music:
I don'thave much to say here, but I didn't notice anything off the wall.  They should have considered investing more time into this as the music/sound played was not very capturing in certain moments it needed to be.

Visuals:
None to really comment on.  +1 here for not having people fly from rooftops.

Accurate representation of history:
N/A, because I don't think it was supposed to represent anything but the life of a Geish in pre-war/occupied Japan.  They did do a great[cough] job of covering up the fact of why the Americans suddenly showed up on Japanese soil.

Overall: 7.5
[I reserve the right to change my mind at any time!!!]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-28 17:41:27 |Display all floors

damn

Have we still not gotten the image linking to work?

Should I give up hope that this function will every be available again?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-28 18:03:13 |Display all floors

Still waiting to see Geisha...

Sadly the reviews have not been good.

I'll still add it to my DVD collection.
ZZ's films I have so far.
Princess Racoon (haven't watched it)
Purple Butterfly (saw the first half hour so far, decidely non-glamorous appearance)
My Wife is a Gangster 2
Hero
Crouching Tiger
House of Flying Daggers
The Legend of Zu (haven't watched it)
and I think I have Musa (have to find it, haven't watched it)
Still haven't seen Rush Hour 2.

I know you don't like it Mike but DVD buying is affordable and the quality is mostly excellent.
I have way more then I can watch(for quite some time) but it's great to have a choice when I want to.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.