thank you   thank you   thank you!
You guys are all so nice & helpful!

Oh, wait, I mean:
谢谢  谢谢  谢谢!
你们 都 很 nice & helpful!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-23 16:12:59 |Display all floors
Making things worse.

I see some people are trying to be creative, but ... they just sound so chinglish, makes me cringe.
Compuer thays noh~~~

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-23 21:30:05 |Display all floors

the more i try to clear it up, the more i muddy it up

难,中文就含有很多意思. 比如洗车时越擦越脏, 相声(画扇面)的越描越黑, 好人的无奈辩驳, 坏人的欲盖弥彰.

我建议提供上下文, 因为词语的选择运用是随句子走的,不是套公式

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-24 04:52:43 |Display all floors
Escargot - "I see some people are trying to be creative, but ... they just sound so chinglish, makes me cringe."
So... maybe they are exhibiting "越抹越黑"?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-24 18:25:24 |Display all floors
Originally posted by freakyqi at 2005-12-24 06:52
Escargot - "I see some people are trying to be creative, but ... they just sound so chinglish, makes me cringe."
So... maybe they are exhibiting "越抹越黑"?

Ironic, isn't it?

If one was given 10 different answers, how does he distinguish the right one from the wrong ones?
Compuer thays noh~~~

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-24 23:26:10 |Display all floors

Not ironic but comedic.

Of course, he can't discriminate between the apt and the ludicrous unless he has a fairly good level of English knowledge and experience himself. Note, again and again various translations are offered and nine out of ten times the one chosen and admired is that most "chinglish". Why? Because it's the most familiar, most sensible to the Chinese. Look also at the differences in punctuation between Chinese and native speakers.

Many persons here confuse translation with creative writing, and look to every question as an opportunity to display their vocabulary. Many times a thread devolves into an open reading of thesaurus.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-25 00:14:08 |Display all floors

I think ironic too...

To be honest, as I was first reading through all the responses, I started laughing because I was beginning to understand what that phrase meant, and I saw it happening before my eyes! I laughed out loud. For a moment, I thought maybe everyone was doing it on purpose.

BUT... I am glad to see so many responses. I never heard that phrase before, so hearing different points of view was helpful.

Also, 越抹越黑 happens when I try to scrub a particular aluminum pan I have. It's silver colored, but if it gets food burnt on it and I scrub, it turns black! And the more I scrub the more it gets black! It really happens.

Or if you're writing with pencil, and try to erase but your eraser is dirty or bad quality. You just end up smearing it around.

ok, ok, I'll stop now. Thank you to everyone.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.