Author: lzs73jack

Help! Help! We are friends. [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2005-12-22 12:34:39 |Display all floors
WINDDANCER- Hi! Sure I'll gladly talk to you, but I don't have too much time to spend on the computer. Sometimes I don't get on every day, so please don't be offended if I can't answer right away. You can also learn by reading other people's writing.
:)

SINFULANGEL - Your accent probably IS cute. Many American men would think so, they're suckers for girls with accents!  And yes, now I can type characters! I'm so happy! But I type them in NJStar, then copy & paste them into the message here. NJStar is the only way I can type characters. And when I want to read someone else's I have to copy it to NJStar where I can get the definitions for words I don't know. It's a pain, but that's ok, I'm glad I can do it at all.
Oh, and my chinese really isn't good at all. It takes me a long time to make up a new sentence if it's long. And I'm not good at remembering new words.  

EVERYONE ELSE:
I want to speak chinese so well that I have no accent. Then I can hear other americans speak chinese with an accent and hear what an american accent sounds like from your point of view!

Hey! When foreigners (esp. americans) speak chinese, what words or sounds are the worst? I can be sure to work on those.

When we hear Chinese people speak English, I think the most difficult sounds for them are "R", and "th". I made up a toungue twister for a chinese friend:

"Three Third World countries were really close friends."

What do you think? What do americans say wrong most frequently, or what do we say that sounds ridiculous?

LZS73JACK:
I'll correct your sentences in a bit, I didn't forget about you! Thank you for changing mine, I'll look at it later when I have time (it takes me a while!)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-22 12:47:54 |Display all floors
oh..i prefer to keep my chinese accent than aussie accent..cos aussie accent sucks u know..=(

NJ star..why dont u use microsoft pinyin?....its better than Nj star..as i used it before..but not any more...

chinese is very different english..the origin of the language is so different..even as a chinese, i find its bit hard..ur a foreigner studyin chinese...it must be very very hard...but as the sayin goes...where there is a will, there is a way...

so good luck with your chinese!!

cheers
I don't know if I like you or love you, want you or need you, all I know is I love the feeling I get when I'm near you.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-22 12:49:03 |Display all floors

thanx

I found most foreigners speak Chinese --- terrible!
it's not coz their pronunciation terribly but their tones. How to say a Chinese Character or a whole sentence in righ tones ? it's very important , and the key to it , I think,is imitation.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-22 12:52:43 |Display all floors
oh well..actually i like to hear caucasians speak chinese...they are the killers..make me laugh...lol...

but i find its pretty easy for them to pick up chinese...with the four tones...its hard..but without the tones...they wont be killers..lol
I don't know if I like you or love you, want you or need you, all I know is I love the feeling I get when I'm near you.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-22 13:00:10 |Display all floors

u r right

Originally posted by sinfulangel at 2005-12-22 12:52
oh well..actually i like to hear caucasians speak chinese...they are the killers..make me laugh...lol...

but i find its pretty easy for them to pick up chinese...with the four tones...its hard.. ...

I can't get what they mean. My advice is --- plz don't learn Chinese from caucasians unless you wanna be a Chinese-killer.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-22 13:02:43 |Display all floors
Often when I hear Chinese people speak, it goes so fast I can't hear the tones. And SOMETIMES if I ask Chinese people what tone a word is, they have to think about it and they're often wrong!!! So I don't know the tone unless I can look it up later.

I have noticed that my listening skills have improved a little though. Sometimes I watch the Chinese News at night, and even though I don't understand it, I can pick out a word here & there if I pay attention. This is me watching the news:

....listening...listening....get distracted.... listen again...... "meiyou" (ooh! I know that!)..... .....listening.... "ta men" (yes!!). .... ......listening..... listening.... "dongxi" (practice saying "dong, dong, dong.." -wait there's another one I know- and another -oh no! too fast!) ... .... ok, take a breath, practice "dongxi" later....   listen again.... listening......

And they have hanzi subtitles, so sometimes if I get lucky I try to match a word I hear with a character.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-22 13:04:01 |Display all floors
eh..i just mean that when caucasians speak mandarin..they just make me laugh my head off...killing me..lol

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.