Author: chickeerun

The mind is willing, but the flesh is weak.不译成"心有余而力不足"还能译成什么? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2005-11-23 22:17:39 |Display all floors

精神的确是愿意的, 但骨肉是微弱的 MT

i have copied Onepastyoung's version from the Bible and let the machine translate the sentence.

i guess if you are expecting such version, dear Chickie?

The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.>>>>>>> you have got the correct version already in your starting question.:-)

It seems the sentence and its machine translation are popular among the professors:-)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-11-23 22:50:43 |Display all floors

You need to look at this saying in the proper context, and understand what "fles

On the surface, 心有余而力不足 seems a good translation, and a lot of people have accept it as such.

From the Bible, Matthew 26:41. 'Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.'

My understanding of the above is that, you should be careful, don't be tempted (into sinning). Remeber: even though the spirit is willing (to block the temptation), but human nature is weak.

Flesh means human nature/ the human side.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-11-24 04:54:16 |Display all floors

马 太26:41你 们 心 灵 固 然 愿 意 , 肉 体 却 软 弱 了 。

马 太26:41你 们 心 灵 固 然 愿 意 , 肉 体 却 软 弱 了 。
Above is from http://www.o-bible.com/cgibin/ob.cgi?version=hgb&book=mat&chapter=26

In the bible the spirit and flesh are interpreted as soul and body.
laoxianggg has explained it well.
Here are two examples each to clarify the diff between 你 们 心 灵 固 然 愿 意 , 肉 体 却 软 弱 了   and 心有余而力不足.
1. He wants to do it but is afraid:  
back in the 50's many Catho_lics in China wanted to worship God but were afraid to go to the Mass for fear of being jailed.
2. You know you should not do it, yet yield to temptation:
You should not commit adultery, yet you did it because the woman is too sexy.

心有余而力不足
1. you cannot do it because you financially can't:
you want to send your kid to study abroad but you don't have enough money.
2. you want to help but physically unable:
you try to lift a heavy tree that fell on a person, but you cannot lift it.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-11-24 07:20:06 |Display all floors

决然却欲不然?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-11-24 08:55:08 |Display all floors

好象应该是:主观上想要去,但由于客观原因自己把握不住

例子:
I'm always trying to follow my slimming diet, but everyday my friends offer to me chocolate and sweets, I try to resist temptation to eat them but I can't because my mind is willing, but the flesh is weak!

it is usually that the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. Same meaning.

这里用”心有余而力不足“解释好象不准确。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-11-24 10:21:53 |Display all floors

I agree with HLY2004.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-11-24 14:29:47 |Display all floors

special thanks to laoxianggg and edchan, thank ruotong for her support,so i do t

and a few words for my professor
心有余而力不足 is not the machine translation by the professor. actually that is the translation from a singaporean translator called li chengye in his comments on machine translation which was taken as an example for  analysing  the relation between translation and rhetoric. the Russian machine translation for " the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak" is" 伏特加酒很烈,但肉却腐烂了".
the professor thinks that li's version is not true enough to the original meaning and he left it as a homework for us to discuss. my mind is very much confined to "力and 心", so i posted here to ask for your help.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.