Author: nodreamagain

浪费时间(自己或者别人的),有一个单词,怎么说?谢谢! [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2005-11-23 11:14:59 |Display all floors

Thank you, dear Onepastyoung. got it now!

DEAR JOHN LETTER
http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-dea5.htm

[Q] From Pien Metz: “As a non-native speaker of the English language, I still wonder where the phrase Dear John letter comes from. I have always taken it to be a letter in which the recipient is told a love affair is over, but I might be amiss.”
[A] No, you have it right. It’s conventionally a letter from a woman to a boyfriend or husband saying that all is over between them, usually because the woman has found somebody else. A much more recent phrase that reflects today’s sexual equality is Dear Jane letter.
The expression seems from the evidence to have been invented by Americans during the Second World War. At this time, thousands of US servicemen were stationed overseas for long periods; many of them found that absence didn’t make the heart grow fonder. The unhappy news was necessarily communicated in a letter. A writer in the Democrat and Chronicle of Rochester, NY, summed it up in August 1945:
“Dear John,” the letter began. “I have found someone else whom I think the world of. I think the only way out is for us to get a divorce,” it said. They usually began like that, those letters that told of infidelity on the part of the wives of servicemen... The men called them “Dear Johns”. Why Dear John? That isn’t entirely clear but a couple of pointers give a plausible basis for it. John was a common generic name for a man at this period (think also of terms like John Doe for an unknown party to a legal action). Such letters were necessarily written in a formal way, since any note of affection would obviously have been out of place. So a serviceman getting a letter from his wife or girlfriend that started so stiffly knew at once that a certain kind of bad news had arrived.
Several subscribers have mentioned a song on the theme of receiving a “Dear John” letter, suggesting it was the origin of the phrase. However, online sources say it appeared only in 1953, several years after the phrase had become established. A more plausible source was suggested by Dick Kovar—in a pre-World War Two radio programme called Dear John, starring Irene Rich, which was presented as a letter by a gossipy female character to her never-identified romantic interest and which opened with these words. Proving a link is likely to be impossible, but it’s conceivable this played a part in the genesis of the term.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-11-23 11:34:47 |Display all floors

很有趣。下次用你最拿手的东西去挖苦他,别怕!

A Letter from an Unknown woman is from S. Zweig and the book is never a Dear John Letter. Tell him he is complete wrong next time if you chat with him and employ  some proper words from 'The Bible'  if he repeated his annoying cliches.
Just let him know the game should be fair. If he uses some indecent words, you are qualified to use them too.:-)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-11-23 11:46:04 |Display all floors

一句 "You're a real jerk" 就一针见血

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-11-23 13:10:06 |Display all floors

为什么有些人总有莫名其妙的优越感?

maybe that is the way  he wants  to show  what a big sh*t he is.

个人觉得,最好先告诉对方你的感受,说明他这样不好, 比如:
" i would like to know why you put me down like that. you wanna hurt me coz i'm an easy target? go right ahead if it makes you any better. well, you can think what you want about me, but I don't give a f*ck. I could be a cold-hearted cynic like you, but I don't wanna hurt peoples feelings..."

有时候, 感觉不对骂又达到骂人效果很难,有礼有节不卑不亢很难拿捏, 当然对这类特把自己当棵葱的人,直接开骂最好,不必顾及江湖规矩.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-11-23 13:42:26 |Display all floors

aa

"打要还手,骂要还口"一点都不错

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-11-23 14:59:04 |Display all floors

为什么有些人总有莫名其妙的优越感?

此种心理不难了解又更容易解释,即傲慢是自卑感的表现.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-11-23 21:56:12 |Display all floors

Thanks, dear buddies!

I will pluck up my courage to practise the new words on him if the same old song is sung by him.:-)

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.