thank you

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-11-16 21:16:33 |Display all floors

我好象在哪儿见到过这种用法。

好象是a compact car,记不清了。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-11-16 22:34:07 |Display all floors

Commonly called "small-engined vehicles"

without referring to the engine displacement.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-11-17 10:31:35 |Display all floors

to tumu

I'm not sure whether Displacement is right to describe the engine. Actually, Displacement is available in many Chinese website. I'm wonder if it's a chinglish.
In addition, I also found this word in the following website:
1. http://www.saabusa.com/saabjsp/about/pr_050414v6.jsp
"It's almost like having two engines on tap," said Cyrus. "At low speeds, the inherent torque of the V-6 pulls strongly, but it has the power of a larger-displacement engine when the full power of the turbo system is called up."
2. http://world.honda.com/news/2001/2011022.html
"The two-in-one exhaust system comes equipped with a fat, low-constriction muffler, which produces a sound that is quiet, yet filled with the powerful resonance of the large-displacement engine. "

In my opinion, which word foreigners use does not matter, I think it's acceptable as long as foreigners can understand what we say.
The key problem is whether Dispalcement is accepted by native english speakers. I'm not sure of it.
Would you please help me to verify it? thanks in advance.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-11-17 11:51:16 |Display all floors

Absolutely nothing wrong with "displacement" for 排量.

It's just more techy-sounding. For example, you'd hear auto mechanics boast about his engine with 5.7 litres of displacement. However, in my observation at least,  it's relatively uncommon for most ordinary people to use "displacement" when talking about their cars. They would more likely say "my small-engine car" in a similar everyday context where people in China would be saying 小排量汽车.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.