Views: 2718|Replies: 4

Can someone explain to me the concept of "loosing face" in China [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2005-11-15 09:02:59 |Display all floors
Under which circumstances do I make someone "loosing face"?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-11-15 12:14:34 |Display all floors

Under which circumstances do you feel embarrassed? Make a list and follow it

Take this forum for e.g.
Those who can't spell properly but flooded here with lame net-chat slangs and ;those who comment on something they have no idea of...they are losing face--btw,I know only the phrase"lose face"(丢脸),but I've no idea of "loose face",perhaps you need astringent lotion to keep someone from "loosing face",my advice.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-16 09:34:16 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT

-Nowhere can man find a quieter or more untroubled retreat than in his own soul.
Marcus Aurelius Antonius

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-16 13:21:20 |Display all floors

you can...

Sometimes you can help a person NOT lose face. If it's a minor thing, like a social mistake (that would embarrass them) and the person meant no harm, you can help them lose face (or not lose face) depending on how you handle it.

You can do your best to be polite if someone seems embarrassed or they aren't sure how to handle a situation. Handle it for them in the most tactful polite way you can. Also, you could help take the burden of blame...
Here's an EXAMPLE:
Yesterday I got an email from a college advisor (I am a student under her), saying that she would look into something for me, but what she was looking into was the wrong thing and would have been quite a mistake. Some people might have been annoyed (I'd had problems with her dept. before, though not her specifically) If she read my email carefully, it would have been clear, but she must have read it in a hurry. I corrected her politely and made sure she didn't lose face by saying "I'm sorry my letter may have been a bit confusing...." (it wasn't really confusing) I let the blame fall wherever she wanted it to, she could see her error by herself later if she read carefully, or she could simply agree that I was not clear and move on, with no bad feelings. I don't really care if I look a tiny bit bad at writing an email, even if it's not true. She's in charge of deciding whether I can graduate next spring, and she can say no, but I felt a "yes" coming, so I voluntarily took the blame and let her move on to fixing the problem so she could more promptly and more likely say "yes". You could call it "kissing up" a bit, or you could call it respect (respectfully not letting your elders or superiors look dumb in front of their underlings).

"Yes grandma, that's a very nice sweater you knitted for me. And how did you know I wanted one sleeve longer so I could hold the dog leash while I walk the dog in the cold?? Wow, you think of everything!!"
freakyqi8=freakyqi. Had to start over when they fixed the site.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-16 13:40:51 |Display all floors

Otherwise konwn as:

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT

-Nowhere can man find a quieter or more untroubled retreat than in his own soul.
Marcus Aurelius Antonius

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.