Author: iluv2fish

Will China NOW Get Western Weapons? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2005-11-17 12:24:06 |Display all floors

reply to iluv2fish

Please read my reply to caringhk.

There is a powerful self-centered Lobby in the US that pushes for their own ability to rule over that little island province across the Straights, they have moneyed friends in places of power in the ranks of the neocon circle and they are supported by a selfish military-industrial complex of powerful corporations whose only real desire is to make money. They are a thorn in the side of the Senators and Congressmen they push-around. And, some of those wager to serve their greed have the self-derived mindset that the big giant powerful US of A ought to have their own damn way around the world.

They do not have a clue as what the he.. they are doing.

The people of Ta.iw.an are not Japanese, they are not Americans, they are not even Ta.iw.anese, as the real natives of that island are a small group that have pushed out of their way decades ago. These folks are Chinese, by heritage, by ancestry, by language, by culture. There religion and their spirit is inexorably tied to the mainland. Their economy is Chinese. Their way of life is Chinese. Their perspective is Chinese.

And, by every rightful moral and ethical argument the land is Chinese.

The economy is bound to China's and given time, and trust, and understanding, they will eventually embrace their homeland.

The US plays a dangerous game of pressure and power play, with the stakes being the innocent lives of so many innocent people who will never receive the benefit of the glory-seeking money-grubbing power lords who keep their lives on the balance of danger.

The fools that sell their second rate war machines to Ta.iw.an are merely selling them to a people who will eventually hand them over to China.

Time is on China's side.

The ignorant call for China to take on the American form of government stems from a total lack of understanding the Chinese people and the complex problems in this country that only the Chinese mind can solve. The sooner the Westerners realize that only Westerners think and act like Westerners, the better off the world will be.

I will keep trying to explain things to you, in my own way, and I cannot help it if sometimes it comes off as being just a bit impatient -- I am a Westerner after all.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-11-17 12:50:57 |Display all floors

Respect

Yeah, so now is the time to talk about respect.

Like so many other Westerners, you think the Chinese cheat, they borrow and copy instead of deriving these things by and of themselves.

Mmmm hmmm ...

So, like Schwarzenegger and Bush and the Republicans that sit up in Congress, you want the Chinese to respect our inventions and our intellectual property.

But respect is a two-way street.

And China has been patiently waiting for you all to figure this out.

Get out of China's face with your single-minded perspective that you and only you know what is best for the Chinese!

Sit back, take a rest, have yourself a pause ... the flowers grow, the trees sway in the wind, as does the grass, the world revolves, the morning comes and goes.

The Chinese, are quite damn capable, seasoned veterans of so much humility and sadness, of wars and things that go bump in the night -- there is nothing new under the sun! Yet they are here and the survive and they have lived on ... and on. They preserver. Need you wonder why?

You think their passivity is a weakness? That you, like the Japanese Imperialists need to harden these people to the harsh and cruel bitterness of the world as you know it? How damn dare you!

The US plays patsy with another runaway government: Japan. The warlords have their hands at the throats of their people, not unlike they had over their Emperor just so many seven decades ago. You don't believe me? Take your own census of the Japanese youth!!!

You reckon that the power game is to force North Korea to accept your idealism? Is that really all? I sure do reckon is not! Given the pacification of North Korea where in Asia will the powerful great shield bangers be looking next? Oh, China, you don't eat with a fork and spoon the way we tell you to!

Give me a damn break!

Who looks to show their respect by having passed a goofy Act of War and have not bothered to rescind it yet? Instead the mouth play goes on and on ... yeah, we respect you ... OK, OK, now respect us! Ha! Actions speak louder than words! If you really mean it, then by God, show it!

Meanwhile, China sure as he.. better do all it can to cover its ass -- for on the game of love and war, their ain't no damn rules, and as long as trust has no basis, then friends are like the Summertime, they come and go with the favorable seasons, but which one stays to spend the cold hard winter with you? To be there when you are sick and frail? Umm hmmm

Respect is a two-way street. A street the US has taken already down the wrong way and has yet to take the measures to demonstrate it has genuinely changed course. it waivers and whimpers -- a summertime, sometime friend.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-11-20 01:55:07 |Display all floors

88...Lest you ever forget...

(88- "OK, OK, now respect us!")

.....YOU are an AMERICAN!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-11-20 09:40:14 |Display all floors

I am AMERICAN!!!

Yes, damn right, iluv2fish!

My ancestral tree is the most ancient of our Nation, one branch begins in the 17th Century when they were sent by the King of England to bring order to the once colony. Their descendants fought in the American Revolution over a hundred years later to see the foundation of our Nation in the role of serving the people of our Nation.

Perhaps some may not find it so sterling that several branches of my ancestral tree served in the Confederate States of America. That is your opinion!

As for me, yes, I am AMERICAN, and I am a man, a simple human being, a laughable joke of a creature that lives in a world of constant uncertainty and surprise, of hardship and horror, of love and life. I am a human being and a world citizen!

It is my duty as an American to speak out when I see the dangers and misdirection that our course has taken! I have spoken with a voice granted to me, for some strange reason, by China Daily, and my voice has been spread throughout the world and copied again and again by the world's most prestigious of news makers, and has found its way into the discussions of our American think-tank forums and right into your home, my fellow American!

See what I have to say in jungoffender's thread 'on freedom' in this section of the forum, Talk to China Daily.

I have a unique perspective, I reckon, one that neither the CIA, the FBI, Homeland Security, nor the pent-up lifestyles of our American political elite, I live in the thick of Chinese society, not off in some isolated and separated seclusion of ex-pat isolation. I have had the honor and privilege of meeting and working with the real gears and wheels of this Nation's government and people. It is a perspective from deep within, not from a curious and safe distance!

Perhaps, you and your folks don't like what I say. What the h... do you all really know? I ask you, sir, where do you derive your opinion?

And, I have lived in the thick of our American society, amid the less fortunate, among the dirt and grime, alongside the everyday man for decades. And, I do know, that they do NOT know, nor do they give a damn about what is going on way the bloomin' h... over here!

Did you catch the following article, a focused census from the American intellegentsia? (hopefully reproduced in the following post)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-11-20 09:46:46 |Display all floors

Opinion of American movers-and-shakers, not your everyday could-care-less fellow

Americans see China as less of a threat
(AFP)
Updated: 2005-11-18 23:21

Americans still perceive China as a danger to their country, but they do not see it as an adversary and believe it will grow in importance in the future, a Pew Research Institute survey found.

In contrast with four years ago when a majority of opinion leaders viewed China as the biggest danger to the United States, today China, North Korea and Iran are mentioned about as frequently, said the poll published Thursday.

China is also not seen as an adversary and is not causing concern as an emerging global power, according to the poll of 2,006 Americans and 520 opinion leaders in the media, church, state and local government, military, science and engineering and foreign affairs. It was conducted in September and October.

Those who most often cited China as the greatest current danger to the United States were academic and think tank leaders (34 percent), followed by state and local government leaders (27 percent).

Military leaders considered China and Iran equal in danger (23 percent for each)

Foreign affairs leaders viewed North Korea as more of a threat than China (26 to 23 percent), with Iran a close third at 21 percent.

The general public perceived Iraq as the biggest danger to the United States (18 percent), followed by China (16 percent), North Korea and Iran (13 percent each).

North Korea's nuclear program is a cause of great concern for about 66 percent in all groups, with scientists and engineers the least concerned (42 percent) and news media the most (72 percent).

Iran's nuclear program is a smaller source of concern: 61 percent in all groups.

A possible military clash between the Chinese mainland and Taiwan is seen as a major threat to the United States by only 34 percent of the general public, while 62 percent of opinion leaders think otherwise.

A clash between India and Pakistan was considered a major threat to the United States by 32 percent of opinion leaders, while 23 percent said growing authoritarianism in Russia was the bigger threat.

Of more concern to the general public, the poll found, is the amount of US debt held by foreign investors: 55 percent rates this issue as a major threat. Only scientists/engineers and state an local government officials rated foreign indebtedness as a major threat (63 and 59 percent respectively).

China's emergence as a global power is not triggering increased concern among the general public and opinion leaders, said the poll.

While a "solid majority" of opinion leaders and 45 percent of the general public view China as a "serious problem," only one in five in each group consider the communist nation an adversary.

Among government officials, academics, think tank leaders, scientists and engineers, China is most frequently named as a country that will be more important to the United States in coming years, Pew Research Institute added.

When asked which US allies will become more or less important in the future, opinion leaders most often mentioned France as becoming less important while India and China were most often listed as becoming more important.

"Military leaders, in particular, believe France will be less important to the US in the future," according to the survey. "By contrast, far fewer than one in 10 military leaders cite any Asian country as being less important to the US in the future."

Fifty percent of the general public believe the United States should remain its position as the world's sole superpower, while for 35 percent would find it acceptable if China, another country or the European Union became as militarily powerful as the United States.

Lifted from: http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2005-11/18/content_496049.htm

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-11-20 09:51:04 |Display all floors

Did you catch the stamp of wisdom by others who tread along a similar path as mi

A guide to success in China, by Americans who live there
By Calum MacLeod (USA TODAY)
Updated: 2005-11-18 15:14

The number of Americans living in China has reached a historic high of 110,000. They are teachers, hairdressers, diplomats, travelers, students and business fat cats. There's even a bluegrass banjo player and singer who is scheduled to perform in Mandarin here Friday night.

What kind of advice about dealing with the Chinese can American expatriates pass along to President Bush, who comes through Saturday night for a state visit?

Take a long-term view, they say. Ensure your expectations are realistic. Show respect by soaking in some Chinese history. Dealing with the Chinese is a contact sport, so work on relationships — but have fun.

Some insights from Americans who have built a life in China:

Persistence pays off

When author Peter Hessler moved from Columbia, Mo., to a small town on the Yangtze River town as a Peace Corps volunteer teacher in 1996, he says he saw signs everywhere that said "No Foreigners Allowed" and even "repare for War" — relics of an era of deep mistrust between China and the rest of the world. He says he didn't feel like "a representative of America, but had to accept I was seen as that."

He found that the key to finding acceptance was mastering the Chinese language. That opened up a society that was, in fact, curious about the outside world after decades of isolation. He found out that America and China have a lot in common.

"The longer I live here, the more similarities I see between the USA and China," says Hessler, 36, whose book River Town: Two Years on the Yangtze was published by HarperCollins in 2001. "Besides the similarity in (geographical) size, there's no single language or ethnic group, so it's amazing that China works, and the U.S., too."

He adds, "These are two incredibly powerful cultures that have attracted other peoples."

Hessler encourages other Americans here to study Chinese because it shows respect for the culture. He also notes that today more people are studying English in China than speaking it in the USA.

His next book, Oracle Bones, due in April, will explore Chinese-U.S. themes.

His advice: Be persistent.

"I learned the need to be patient, persistent and not easily intimidated," he says.

Patience is profitable

Businessman Peter Zenello, 48, learned the hard way about the importance of communication. "When I arrived to study in 1984, China really was a hardship tour. The Chinese were afraid to sit down and talk to you," he says.

Zenello, from Plymouth, Mass., finally found language partners in a public park near the imperial lakes of Beijing, where toothless old men paraded their caged birds and sang opera. Today the Shichahai neighborhood is a bustling district of bars and restaurants popular with the expatriate community and the capital's nouveau riche.

In 1987, Zenello joined pioneering U.S. firm Chindex, which distributes medical equipment here. Never forgetting that "doing business in China is a fight," Zenello and colleagues earned "face" locally by staying in China after the government cracked down on pro-democracy protesters in Tiananmen Square in 1989. Many other foreign firms pulled out.

As China sped up on the road to capitalism, Zenello's ambitions grew. Eventually, he established distribution networks for other medical companies and now works with his Chinese wife — their company is called Mei United — to export Inner Mongolian sheep products and bring American jazz performances and education to China.

His advice: Be patient.

"China can be a land of opportunity. But many foreigners leave their brains at home. If you know the system, have the time and patience, you can get things done, and that's what makes it exciting."

Dancing brings discovery

Dancer Aly Rose says she has had many exciting moments in China.

While taking a Chinese-language exam in the southwestern city of Kunming in 1999, a brick smashed through a window. It had been thrown at her by protesters angry about the accidental bombing of the Chinese Embassy in Belgrade, Yugoslavia, during U.S.-led NATO airstrikes.

"I was really scared," says the Galveston, Texas, native. "I thought I was close to this country, but I had become an enemy of the state." She decided to stay, however, and now calls China home.

In 2002, Rose became the first Westerner to graduate from the Beijing Dance Academy, one of Asia's finest. Her teachers never used her name. Instead, they called her "Little American Girl." "I didn't exist as myself. I existed as a country," she says.

Rose, in her early 30s, has prospered here. She has won plaudits and prizes for her choreography and dance. She even brought Broadway to China as choreographer for Lady in the Dark, the first Broadway musical produced on a Chinese stage.

Restrictions on artistic freedom sometimes leave Rose feeling as if she is "dancing with a ball and chain." But she treasures the chance to work in partnership with Chinese dancers and to create "things that have never been seen before."

Her advice: Embrace a new way of life.

"It's like stepping on another planet and breathing a new type of air. But it's more than a whole different culture, there's a whole different worldview and history," she says. "And you don't get anywhere by challenging it."

Pack a strong backbone, too, Rose adds, and be yourself. China is a great place "if you can be spontaneous, ... enjoy the one-on-one with the Chinese people — and be willing to laugh at yourself."

Lifted from: http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2005-11/18/content_496014.htm

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-11-20 10:01:58 |Display all floors

And, my fellow American, I have spent countless time and effort to reach out to

I have not responded with cheap quips and pieces of nonsense, but with great thought and sincerity!

You saw and read my article on 'haircut' in this section -- did you feel my genuine love for a marvelous and wonderful people?

But, I have not even stopped there, I welcomed your great Republican leaders to this ancient Land, with sincere advice: see my thread "Welcome Schwarzenegger" under the 'Sino-US Relations' section of this forum.

I am here to answer your concerns and address your inquiries, I am performing my AMERICAN duty to the best of my ability!

These people are our brothers and sisters, they are subject to the greatest of care that we can possibly offer them, and they are so richly deserving our hearts and our efforts, for here in these folks, you will find no greater friendship and comaradie than any other place in the world!!!!!!

See what I feel in my thread 'Death of a Dream' under the Free Talk section of this forum.

Then ask yourself, my fellow American, what it is, that you really think you know?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.