Views: 4181|Replies: 11

Is giving 1 RMB to beggars too much? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2005-10-31 10:28:48 |Display all floors
I usually give 1 RMB.

I should be ashamed of me as it is nothing from where I come from.

On the other hand, beggars can get a quite decent meal with a few RMB. And I also think that if I give too much I may encourage more to turn to this way of life.

So I think 1 RMB is ok. Do you?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-10-31 13:58:03 |Display all floors

well...

imo most beggars in china really do not have the ability to work and make money. it isn't because they are lazy. maybe you see a little kid who was forced by his mother to beg a few rmb to keep from starving? maybe you see an old woman with a broken limb or who is deaf or blind? i always give them my greatest sympathy and i treat them with due respect. please don't perpetuate your condescending attitude on here. which rich country did you come from? in the us, the majority of beggars are just lazy bums, who spend all their money on drugs and alcohol. same with other countries like canada, australia, england, etc. etc. you are certainly not superior than a beggar. from your past posts, i'd say you are far far inferior.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-10-31 15:30:29 |Display all floors

are they real beggars?

I think the first thing is how to define beggars.As we know,many beggars in Beijng even other big cities are absolutely not beggars.They pretend to be pathetic and cheat to get other people's sympathy.most of them want to get rich while not "get living".We may call this kinds of beggars "professional beggars".maybe he/she could earn more than you even greatly beyond your guessing.
I know some of the disabled beggars are out of  laboring.They indeed more help from us.But actually there always some people controled the disabled persons and squeeze lots of money from them.So I think there is nearly no pure beggars in Beijing.In my point,the real beggars must would like to live or beg in the country  not  the noisy big cities.many beggars had been sent back to their home town,but they once again and again go back to the big cities to beg.Do you know why?
The real method to save them is not "hand out money",but how to save them from the deep spirit.I know maybe you think it is a little ridiculous.but the fact it is.it this couldn't change,more and more people will become "beggars" and go to the hot cities to do the so-called begging.
1 RMB too much?
if they are real beggars,it is not much at all.
on the contray,you need to reconsider yourself,are you saving them or deteriorating them?
that is my opinion.if i offend you,I apologize in advance.

Robin

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-10-31 16:32:34 |Display all floors

Well...

It's even more interesting you chose the word 'condescending' to criticize and then proceeded to demonstrate its meaning. ;0)

Now that's worth 1Y.

However, all critiques aside, the issue at hand is really one person's socially conscious view of begging versus another.  Personally, I don't put a value on what I give when I choose to give it and don't see how one could.  In some cases you may be helping a person, in others you may be promoting a problem, regardless of what country you are in.

Now I think that's worth 1Y too.  So someone here owes me 2Y!!!
(Interest accumulating; terms 10 days net 2 percent; pay early and save!!!)

;0)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-10-31 20:17:35 |Display all floors

ABSOLUTELY!!!

"As we know,many beggars in Beijng even other big cities are absolutely not beggars."
In China the peoples are rich enought to have clothes and food! So beggars are UNTRUE!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-10-31 21:36:06 |Display all floors

dilema

always feel sick when i c beggars, not cuz i hate them a lot, instead, i m in such a dilema as to give or not, and cing old beggars makes it even worse, feel terribly bad when i pass them by.. i know there r so called begger orgonizations, that ppl cut kids' hands or legs and make them beg on the street, while they watch from afar,,, geez, that's why i chose not to give money to beggars ,while i used to do that a lot, and t's such a shame when i c the, painful painful painful, i dont know what to do, really. ONce i saw a young boy, with glasses, and well dressed, kneeling down by the road, with words written in front of him on the ground, explaining how he got robbed of,,,, he even said he needed 250 yuan to go back home, so i gave him 20... maybe , he only had a bet with his friends, and trying some fun instead, yet that's somehting i believed in, that he was in trouble, but t' s special case, otherwise, i dont give money to beggars, and i keep suffering from the pain, maybe u guys have some good ideas....

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-11-2 01:57:50 |Display all floors

200yuan

I once gave 200 yuan to a family on the street.  This was in january, and it was very cold outside.  200 yuan is not much money to me, but I felt happy knowing I was helping that family make it through the winter.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.